Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

H22A4 head work: suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 H22A4 head work: suggestions

Hey guys,

Just pulled the head, bad leak down test. The valves look good, but I still had a leak when I did the test but i'm sure the valves are slightly bent from a slipped timing. The valves do not have any evidence from hitting the pistons, but i already pulled the head. So I have some questions

A) I'm having the head glass beaded and if the valves are bent, replacing the valves, new seals etc. Whats a good price just for the head being glass beaded, installing new valves and seals? (excludes the price of the valves and seals) I had a similar job done on my Acura Legend a few years ago and it cost me about $300 to have the work done. The Legend has 2 heads so it seems to be a fair price.

B) while the head is removed, what other seals/gaskets should I look into replacing? Looking at injector seals, exhaust manifold gasket, intake gasket, already have the intake manifold apart and cleaned (new gasket coming), cleaning EGR valve/track/new seal. I'm going to be ordering these parts soon and would like to make pulling the head as worth while as possible

C) Besides basic seals, what would be good maintenance since I am this deep into the motor? I have access to the oil pan, so I'm going to pull it and replace the gasket around the oil pan (slightly leaking). Once the pan is off, is it possible to change the crank seal with the crank still attached to the rods/pistons? Seal has been leaking forever and was quoted a pretty large number a few years ago to have the seals changed.

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: H22A4 head work: suggestions

Originally Posted by Matgallis
Hey guys,

Just pulled the head, bad leak down test. The valves look good, but I still had a leak when I did the test but i'm sure the valves are slightly bent from a slipped timing. The valves do not have any evidence from hitting the pistons, but i already pulled the head. So I have some questions

A) I'm having the head glass beaded and if the valves are bent, replacing the valves, new seals etc. Whats a good price just for the head being glass beaded, installing new valves and seals? (excludes the price of the valves and seals) I had a similar job done on my Acura Legend a few years ago and it cost me about $300 to have the work done. The Legend has 2 heads so it seems to be a fair price.

B) while the head is removed, what other seals/gaskets should I look into replacing? Looking at injector seals, exhaust manifold gasket, intake gasket, already have the intake manifold apart and cleaned (new gasket coming), cleaning EGR valve/track/new seal. I'm going to be ordering these parts soon and would like to make pulling the head as worth while as possible

C) Besides basic seals, what would be good maintenance since I am this deep into the motor? I have access to the oil pan, so I'm going to pull it and replace the gasket around the oil pan (slightly leaking). Once the pan is off, is it possible to change the crank seal with the crank still attached to the rods/pistons? Seal has been leaking forever and was quoted a pretty large number a few years ago to have the seals changed.

Thanks for your help!
1) I've never gone through paying a shop for a job like that, but $300 sounds pretty damn good for two heads, so you probably have a good shop on your hands.

2) You'll probably want to replace the valve cover gasket and the 4 spark plug hole grommets. A lot of h22s have leaks from the "cam plug" on the intake cam, distributor side. It's cheap ($20ish) to buy a metal replacement with 3 o-rings, the stock one is just rubber and is weak.

3) I'm not sure which crank seal you're talking about, for the front main (timing side) you don't have very much work on your hands with the head already off. Just take the crank pulley off, then the lower timing cover and such, and pull the timing and balance gears off the snout of the crank. The front main is right there, no need to pull the pan for that seal.

If your prob is the rear main, you'll have to yank the trans to fix that one.

It's a good idea to change out all of the oil seals (cam seals 2x, front balance, front main) while you're at it, and the water pump as long as it hasn't been done recently. Also, a good addition is the front balance shaft seal retainer, available at most local parts stores, not the dealership (oddly).
Old 04-04-2009, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you have helms?

A) Glass beading, why? You're going to need a new valve job. I would send the head to DonF in FL. His prices are extremely reasonable, and you're not going to find the combination of second to none quality work and knowing what he's doing, anywhere else. Have the guide clearance checked. More likely than not, you'll need new exhaust guides. Just replace them all, since you're going to be needing a valve job anyway; they're cheap.

B) Take the intake manifold apart and thoroughly clean it. The stock pcv system dirties it up with oil. Look at the parts catalog, and replace what you need to. Don't forget to replace the oil control orifice assy in the head. Replace the head bolts with ARP studs. They can be reused if you ever need to remove the head again.

C) Replace water pump and timing belt if they're due or will be soon. If your engine is a 5g, the oil pan gasket is just Hondabond. Either way, don't forget to replace the little oil pan gasket at the back of the motor. Which crank seal? There's one at the front and one at the back. Both can be replaced with the crank in place.

Order from majestic honda, best prices.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

glass beading is nothing more than cleaning. you might as well just get it hot tanked, that will clean the outside and the EGR ports at the same time. you will absolutely need the valve seats recut if your valves look good but you have bad leak down results.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the suggestions, mags7 do you have a website or contact information for Don in FL?

Here's the list

Valve Cover Gasket
Spark Plug Grommets
Front Balance Seal
Front Main Seal
Cam seals
Oil control orifice replacement
Oil pan hondabonded
Oil pan gasket at back of motor?
Injector seals
exhaust gasket
intake gaskets
EGR Gasket

Already In/have:

Spark Plugs
Water pump
Timing belt
New Auto tensioner
New accessory belts
p/s fluid
New Oil filter/oil
Front/Rear crank seals

Any additional ideas? Suggestions?
Old 04-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

DFE Enterprises- HT user DonF- 904-378-4480

Add valve seals to your list. Def replace the guides while you're getting the valvejob.

Seals and gaskets: look through the parts catalog. You'll see all that you need to replace.