Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

h22a vtec engagement problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default h22a vtec engagement problem

Im having a pretty big issue with my vtec that doesnt seem to be making any sense and ihave searched everywhere with no results to my particular situation, heres my story I had an h22a 4th gen had a full h22a engine bay and body harness with a p13 ecu, I sold that car dueto body rot Issues and recently I found a mint 4th gen shell that had a tired h22 in it with a blown trans and hack job body and engine bay harness, so long story short I found my old car and managed to buy back the old motor, engine bay harness and p13 ecu which all werein perfect working order since my old car had not been driven at all after I sold it, all I had to do was pray that the still h23 wired body harness was re pinned for vtec properly so my h22 engine bay harness would meet up and not have to change anything well I got it running and idling fine but the car will rev up by itself between shifts and when I let off the throttle it will still try to accelerate by itself a little (I loosened the throttle cable already and it diddnt fix it) and the biggest problem of all no vtec and because of this cant rev past 6500, now I tried everything I could to get vtec to work I tried hard wiring it, listening to it click when I grounded it out, I tried checking for oil pressure running soleniod and pressure switches right to the ecu changing and cleaning the soleniod and still no efforts to cross over or rev out for me im really at a loss for ideas here guys and would really appreciate some ideas oh and the only codes im throwing are o2 sensor and intake air temp sensor
Old 03-12-2013, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22a vtec engagement problem

Seems everybody's as stumped as me
Old 03-12-2013, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

fix the codes first...sounds like the ecu isnt ever seeing that its at proper operating temp...
as far as i know, the vtec system wont throw a code if its not being told to engage. i wouldnt worry about that until everything else is doing what its supposed to. then worry about vtec not kicking
Old 03-12-2013, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This isn't the place to post links to parts you have for sale.

Last edited by snobordboy; 03-13-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The solenoid is fine I can hear it click when it's hard wired, me and a buddy of mine hard wired a manual switch and went for a ride, when he touched the wires that force the solenoid to open nothing happened no vtec and still wouldn't rev past 6500 but yes I'm in the process of buying a new iat sensor and o2 sensor to see what that does but I'm pretty sure neither of those have anything to do with vtec operating properly
Old 03-12-2013, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just replaced the o2 sensor tonight no more code for that but it had a little green wire coming from the sensor that went nowhere hmm oh well no big issue I suppose, also ordered the iat sensor so ill see where that goes and take it from there
Old 03-13-2013, 06:51 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Pretty sure the IAT will throw you into limp mode, so that should help.

In regards to the engine revving, it sounds like you have a bad vacuum leak. Get that sorted, and get the car idling good, and warming up fully, before trying to check vtec operation.

If the oil pressure isn't good in the engine, or the pickup tube is blocked by a dented pan or debris in the oil pan, you won't get vtec to activate even with all other variables in place.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Still waiting on my iat to show up umm I dont think there is too big of a dent in the oil pan I have heard of the oil pick up being slowed down like that I hope its not that, and my idle is perfect its only when Im moving and push the clutch in from pulling out or changing gears the car just does a little extra rev
Old 03-14-2013, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good luck
Old 03-15-2013, 02:06 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, a dent in the oil pan will prevent vtec from engaging as snobord said...vtec has a lower threshold for oil pressure check engine problems.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so I got an o2 sensor and an iat sensor and still a cel and no vtec, so i got into the harness and ran the green wire with the yellow stripe right from a4 on the ecu to the soleniod grounded the pressure sensor and the positive from the pressure sensor the baby blue one to the already existing baby blue wire coming from d6 , I go to start the car and barely any of the electronics work inside the car, the engine ran beautifully but no cluster at all except the battery light no windows no sunroof no turn signals and no wipers, radio and heat and the headlights were the only things working wtf this car is turning into a grenade, now I need to know what fuses I should look for and what wiring I should check lut, as far as the vtec goes it is deffinately the oil pan it has a hufe dent and my oil light comes on when its cold and the motor almost and sometimes does putter out and stall before its warmed up
Old 03-18-2013, 04:40 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

When the oil light comes on, your car is telling you that you are in jeopardy of destroying your engine by not allowing oil pressure to get high enough to fully lubricate your engine...which could very well be happening or has happened based on your information thus far. You really should do a better job of monitoring the oil light in the future, and when the light does come on you should be pulling over and refusing to drive until the problem is resolved...in this case the huge dent in your oil pan that is not allowing the pickup tube to be able to sufficiently pick up the oil in the pan.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I understand the oil problem I am fixing my dent as we speak but I really am going to need help finding where a fuse might've blown that would cause almost my whole dash not to work at all or what wiring I might've screwed up, the Ecu wiring doesn't have anything to do with the dash wiring does it? Like speedo tach gas and temp gauges?
Old 03-18-2013, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I really appreciate the help guys just so you know, I tried to do everything as neatly as possible I never touched anything but the three vtec wires on the harness except one wire was shrink wrapped together coming from the ecu I pulled apart and repaired properly it was a black wire with red stripe, does that have anything to do with my electrical problems?
Old 03-18-2013, 10:40 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by luder95
The solenoid is fine I can hear it click when it's hard wired, me and a buddy of mine hard wired a manual switch and went for a ride, when he touched the wires that force the solenoid to open nothing happened no vtec and still wouldn't rev past 6500 but yes I'm in the process of buying a new iat sensor and o2 sensor to see what that does but I'm pretty sure neither of those have anything to do with vtec operating properly
The reason you hot wired a manual switch was probably because you were not getting enough oil pressure to activate vtec. This is really the least of your worries. You need to be worrying about if your engine is toast. When you can't get into vtec you should be staying below vtec engagement.