Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

H22A Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 01:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22A Oil Pressure

What oil pressure do you have at idle and at about 7000 rpm? I have 101 psi/7 bar at 7000 rpm. Is that normal? My tuner told that its too high. Motor was built and balance shafts are removed.

Thanks guys!
Old 11-13-2014, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22A Oil Pressure

It's ok. Never too much. Removing balance shafts will raise the pressure.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'd like to reiterate it's okay and it's better to have to much than not enough. But my **** is ridiculous, i have the smallest restrictor/resistor for my turbo feed and i still blow oil out my up-pipe when letting off the throttle haha. KSTUNED B/S delete ftw!
Old 11-14-2014, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with that bs delete you did reduce the are the oiling system has to cover. So increased is normal. The shop who built it was reputable and good?
Old 11-14-2014, 07:25 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Honestly, removing the balance shafts is really bad for the motor.

The balance shafts dont just remove vibrations, they help balance out vibrations that actually damage the bottom end over time.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:46 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Heres a good website on balance shafts

http://www.jackstransmissions.com/pa...balance-shafts
Old 11-15-2014, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You either except the pros and cons, or dont take out. Do it with a proper kit and not just cutting the belt. Oil pressure is increased to better lubricate everything. Cutting it alone may help with rotational mass, but when the engine is being treated harder as a result, it needs that oil. That extra oil helps alleviate some extra wear, not to mention balance shaft bearings are one of the more common issues H series have. So thats getting read of a big problem there, failure can cause a few issues mainly starving oil to rods which may cause you to spin a bearing.

I weighed them out to be 7.5lbs. Less rotation weight is not a bad thing. Too heavy of a flywheel can cause premature wear too pending on use. More weight changing speeds very quickly adds more stress then a lighter one.

If I was building a drag car a heavier flywheel and more rotational mass is a good thing!

If im building a rolling start car, or track car Id want a lighter, less rotational mass set up.

Its only because of the size of the engine is why they are given balance shafts. the 2.0's dont need them. I have a fresh swap and id be happy if I could hit 100K with it. If I left it stock, and drove it without really getting on it i would expect maybe 200K . Not saying those numbers are set in stone but modifying and running hard a engine does reduce its life span period.

If its a car you may hit vtec once a month on the freeway going to work keep them.

If you plan to track the car take them out, at least thats my .02cents.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the one problem i have with that article is that it's about european and DSM cars. I'm not saying they don't make a good general point but i really haven't heard anyone running to issues and definitely not a mass issue with removing balance shafts on the H/F series. So it's kinda like comparing to oranges to apples to me...I'm not fond of DSM motors period they are built poorly (my opinion) so maybe that's an issue they have idk but i'll say everything i've ever read about BS removal i haven't heard people having problems with it. It's a good general point and it definitely makes sense all these motors we're engineered from factory that way for a reason, but when done right like sparksman said having more oil pressure is a better thing than the lack there of
Old 11-15-2014, 05:56 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Sparksman

If its a car you may hit vtec once a month on the freeway going to work keep them.

If you plan to track the car take them out, at least thats my .02cents.
Thats exactly it. Its all about longevity. If you only plan on driving that engine at the track, its not gonna make a difference.

Originally Posted by BergRacing21
the one problem i have with that article is that it's about european and DSM cars. I'm not saying they don't make a good general point but i really haven't heard anyone running to issues and definitely not a mass issue with removing balance shafts on the H/F series. So it's kinda like comparing to oranges to apples to me...I'm not fond of DSM motors period they are built poorly (my opinion) so maybe that's an issue they have idk but i'll say everything i've ever read about BS removal i haven't heard people having problems with it. It's a good general point and it definitely makes sense all these motors we're engineered from factory that way for a reason, but when done right like sparksman said having more oil pressure is a better thing than the lack there of
Balances shafts serve the same exact purpose on any car that inherently needs to be balanced.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This bit makes me feel like its more of a public disclaimer for their customers. Probably had a few come back complaining, and or feeling that because they were encouraging the removal. They were somehow liable for bad information. The shop felt the need to list out everything that could possibly go wrong. Everything is give and take when it comes to cars.

"Due to the fact that our customers are just average people, we want them to have an engine which they will love. A smooth engine on the street is a very nice thing to have and many customers appreciate this. Most builders don't care about the comfort factor, or your clutch and trans, so they will build you the same loud and buzzy engine for the car that is daily driven as they do for their race cars. We don't believe this is appropriate."

Like a steroid poster at the Dr.s office, you "may" get a small wiener, but you can now bench 400lbs. Your car "may" have "blank" issue, but you now have better throttle responce.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BergRacing21
haha I would have to agree, I see a hell of alot of blown up dsm's, even the owners are not liking them. I did a BS delete on my F22. I havent heard of anyone having issues with the kits as of yet. But hell when you build a motor to produce over 4x its capability or more you have a hell of a long list of big issues to be concerned about. We will see how it goes, I do respect Holmes he is highly knowledgeable. Id be curious to see results of doing the delete. We should take a stock f22 and do the delete and run it like a regular motor and see if it mkes it to 300k
Old 11-16-2014, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by accordturb96
haha I would have to agree, I see a hell of alot of blown up dsm's, even the owners are not liking them. I did a BS delete on my F22. I havent heard of anyone having issues with the kits as of yet. But hell when you build a motor to produce over 4x its capability or more you have a hell of a long list of big issues to be concerned about. We will see how it goes, I do respect Holmes he is highly knowledgeable. Id be curious to see results of doing the delete. We should take a stock f22 and do the delete and run it like a regular motor and see if it mkes it to 300k
The 4G63t is a pretty beastly engine, it was what was in the Mitsubishi Evolution all the way up until about 2005. The eclipse is just a evo in drag clothing, but until 97/98 they had a crank walk issue. Mitsubishi supposedly fixed it in the issue before the last GSX was produced in 99'.

I believe removing the balanceshafts on a engine that has crank walk issues as is, is what may have caused so many issues with the 4g63t. Also being turbo factory, its easier for people to blow the engine because all you need is a bigger turbo and boost controller.

Being AWD I see having too light of a flywheel or rotating assembly being bad because there is a ton more parasitic drag from the AWD drive-train, The engine needs to overcome that every shift or rev match. Which could lead to more premature wear, but a heavier one carries more inertia to compensate for it. I bet the GS-T's have less issues then the GSX's.

Holmes knows his ****, everything in the link does transfer over to honda's. But I just think the author had AWD eclipse/evo's in mind more so the fwd hondas. Not to mention I bet half of the complaints were from people who just cut their belt. Then had lubrication issues "spun bearing", or prior crank walk issues which then were blamed on the balance shafts instead.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Sparksman
The 4G63t is a pretty beastly engine, it was what was in the Mitsubishi Evolution all the way up until about 2005. The eclipse is just a evo in drag clothing, but until 97/98 they had a crank walk issue. Mitsubishi supposedly fixed it in the issue before the last GSX was produced in 99'.

I believe removing the balanceshafts on a engine that has crank walk issues as is, is what may have caused so many issues with the 4g63t. Also being turbo factory, its easier for people to blow the engine because all you need is a bigger turbo and boost controller.

Being AWD I see having too light of a flywheel or rotating assembly being bad because there is a ton more parasitic drag from the AWD drive-train, The engine needs to overcome that every shift or rev match. Which could lead to more premature wear, but a heavier one carries more inertia to compensate for it. I bet the GS-T's have less issues then the GSX's.

Holmes knows his ****, everything in the link does transfer over to honda's. But I just think the author had AWD eclipse/evo's in mind more so the fwd hondas. Not to mention I bet half of the complaints were from people who just cut their belt. Then had lubrication issues "spun bearing", or prior crank walk issues which then were blamed on the balance shafts instead.
Certainly a different perspective I didnt think about. Sounds like the diesels, cummins to be more specific. People throw a controller on them, use a generic chip and whaaaabooom. haha
Do you think the balance shaft would provide any assistance to calming crank walk? I guess we would have to examen the reason behind the walking.
You're right, half of the people doing it dont use the kit. Mainly because the easy solution is much less time intensive and cost effective in the short term. The only time most people use the kit is when they're rebuilding, much less of us actually building then already owning and driving
Old 11-17-2014, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey bud so I just replaced my oil gauge in my f22, oil pressure is running at 98psi on a very cold day at a slightly elevated idle. I also did the balance shaft delete. Should level out a bit once it warm up though
Old 11-18-2014, 03:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys!