Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

H22a with chiped p28 ecu runs like crap!! help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: H22a with chiped p28 ecu runs like crap!! help.

Originally Posted by David77
How do i go about getting a hold of him. Just shot advanced ignition an comment.

Well, what i dont get is the the p13 does not have this problem at all. But as soon as i plug in the p28 it dose. With the p28 plugged in, if i turn on my headlights or heater, a/c and anything like that it does the idle surge. idels fine if i don't run any of that. But you cant see the rpm move if you put a timing light on it.

So what your saying is that the person that had the done the swap, did a bad job. So by the pic i put up. i have a jdm H22a with some not all the obd2 sensors and dizzy (Because of the external coil).
When i do go to boost it. I live in Washington state we don't have to somg. BUT if i ever mover to a state that i did, how would i go about passing a song. The only way i heard of is to go back to obd2 for the test. But i wont be moving any time soon so i don't have to worry about that now. When i go to boost im going OBD1.
Ok you're from Washington, and Im from Washington. I know exactly which laws you need to abide by.

I never said he did your swap wrong, he just never completed it or did it on a tight budget.

We do have to pass a "smog" called DEQ here. You have a OBD2 car, and dont have the original engine in the car. They dont inspect cars here thankfully, so all you have to do is pass the emissions standards and you can pass.

Unfortunately for you to pass it will HAVE to be OBD2, theres no way around it.... They need to plug a OBD2 reading in on it or you cant pass. You need to put a few hundred dollars into parts alone "CPS/oil pump/water pump, ect..." to have it running obd2 correctly again. NO cells or check engine lights can be present while going through DEQ. Hopefully you can do you own work if your set on this rout or also add a few hundred for labor.

Fortunately there are two alternatives for you to get new tags and registered in Washignton state.

1- Intentionally take it in with your obd2 ecu running like **** to fail on purpose. Then take to a shop and have them do I believe it was a minimum of $150 in emissions related work. Diagnostics counts towards the bill so that and maybe some new wires or buy a new cat. Anyhow it has to be from a certified automotive shop. You go back to the DMV and intentionally fail a Second time, which you get 2 tries for $20 bucks. After you fail the second time and have receipts for the work at the shop you will get a emissions waiver. With that waiver you can put the OBD1 ECU back in the car and get you brand new reg tags for the next 2 years.

2- Know or have family that lives outside of city limits. My father lives out in the rural areas around here and cars out there dont need to pass emissions in our state. I wouldnt do it unless you had no choice, but turning in a address change to the post office and the DMV to my dads address would mean I never have to pass emissions again. But all my mail will go to his house, so make sure you trust that person.

Theres a 3rd way if your car was originally OBD1, was built, and had Hondata or Neptune. But wont help you in any way since your OBD2.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snobordboy
Ok, trying to read all of this and sort out what is actually going on.

The car runs fine on the P13 yes?

Are you just trying to run a "tune" via the chipped P28?

Sounds like the issue is in the tune, probably has a little to do with the IABs not being functional on the P28, so they are open all the time now, as opposed to closed at idle/ low rpm, and the ELD is probably turned off. ELD is the electrical load detector, which is supposed to help the system stay stable under those situations when you apply electrical draw when the alternator needs to do a little more work, and not bog the engine down basically.

If you are set on using a chipped ecu, and the engine is mechanically fine and runs great on the stock ecu, just find a local tuner, and actually get the car tuned.
Originally Posted by thirsk66
I agree with this Snobordboy get your tune redone by a local tuner. Or you can ask Justin from AI to shoot you another chip with with a revised tune on it. And if your p13 made your car run just fine then why did you go ahead with the chipped p28? I am a bit lost on all this ecu talk and some of it is very unclear.
No, it does not run fine on the p13, but on the p13 i dont have the problem like i do with the idel like on the p28.
I wont the p28 so i can get a demon chip and boost it.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thirsk66
I agree with this Snobordboy get your tune redone by a local tuner. Or you can ask Justin from AI to shoot you another chip with with a revised tune on it. And if your p13 made your car run just fine then why did you go ahead with the chipped p28? I am a bit lost on all this ecu talk and some of it is very unclear.
Well, this summer i'm going to paint the car, so i have to paint the engine bay. And im going to pull out the engine and all. So at that point ill see if i can re install it the way it need to be. I want to have it say obd1, if possible. So how hard is that to do with a obd2 wiring harness in the 2000 base prelude? Because from what i have read on this thread, it seems that i have some USDM and some JDM like the dizzy and the and the crank sensor.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When are the tags going to expire? You said you just bought it, I wonder if the reason the guy is selling it is because he knew it was going to take money to get it to pass. If they are going to expire soon Id suggest spend your time trying to figure out how to get that jdm dizzies CPS working and not throwing codes on your OBD2 ecu.

I posted this link earlyier, not sure if you seen it. Be worth double checking to make sure it was wired right.

http://www.importintelligence.com/hoprh22ustoj.html

If it runs great on the p13, then just drive on that.

The tune on the P28 is irrelevant anyhow if your main reason for getting was to get a moates demon. The 28 pin "map chip" socket is where the demon plugs into anyhow. If your not intending on trying to use the p28 in the mean time dont blow any more money on chips.

What program are you going to use with your demon?
Old 11-07-2013, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Sparksman
When are the tags going to expire? You said you just bought it, I wonder if the reason the guy is selling it is because he knew it was going to take money to get it to pass. If they are going to expire soon Id suggest spend your time trying to figure out how to get that jdm dizzies CPS working and not throwing codes on your OBD2 ecu.

I posted this link earlyier, not sure if you seen it. Be worth double checking to make sure it was wired right.

http://www.importintelligence.com/hoprh22ustoj.html

If it runs great on the p13, then just drive on that.

The tune on the P28 is irrelevant anyhow if your main reason for getting was to get a moates demon. The 28 pin "map chip" socket is where the demon plugs into anyhow. If your not intending on trying to use the p28 in the mean time dont blow any more money on chips.

What program are you going to use with your demon?
well i live in wenatchee, so we are such a small town that we don't need to be inspected. Well I've been here for 10 years and never once. But the car was sold out of Olympia. But all that said not tell next year some time. He had it retab like two months before i bought it.
Im not even sure it is a jdm dizzy? But there are some wires running over the intake manifold to the timing belt from the dizzy.
It runs better, but i would not say fine on the p13.
I'll most likely run the Neptune RPT.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i live in wenatchee, so we are such a small town that we don't need to be inspected. Well I've been here for 10 years and never once. But the car was sold out of Olympia. But all that said not tell next year some time. He had it retab like two months before i bought it.
Im not even sure it is a jdm dizzy? But there are some wires running over the intake manifold to the timing belt from the dizzy.
It runs better, but i would not say fine on the p13.
I'll most likely run the Neptune RPT.
Ya im thinking he either got it to pass with those wires he ran, or ended up paying for the waiver. I know for a fact in Olympia you have to pass emissions, its the capital lol.

I know the requirements for DEQ are different pending on location in WA. If you're in a area that doesnt need it I'l take your word for it. Wish it was that way for me lol... But my 94' Vtec model is obd1 anyhow, so a little easier but still a pain.

I went Neptune RTP myself, just save quickly and get that. A street tune is still a few hundred bucks, almost as much as the RTP. Street tuning a chip is a waste of money in the long run for you if your getting a demon IMO.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pictures didnt work...

IMO yes it is, why not have one of the best tuning programs available right now. You could have street tuned and even get a few extra hp out of that stock engine.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=Sparksman;49281458]pictures didnt work...

IMO yes it is, why not have one of the best tuning programs available right now. You could have street tuned and even get a few extra hp out of that stock engine.[/QUOT]

What do you mean the picture didnt work? i can see them??
well the chip and Neptine RTP are like $400. and then id have to have a person that is a good tuner to tune it. i think that i may be biting off more then i can chew. When i boost i want to be able to run my car as a daily driver but still beadle to boost at 10+ psi. If im going to run a turbo im not going to be taking it to the track. So really nothing to extravagant. You know what i mean. I am willing to hear anyone's thought about my plan. I am really new to the whole tuning/high Hp setups.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This dizzy talk is making my head dizzy...<----Double pun... Go over the pin out diagram for the ecu/ecm and measure the resistance in your grounds etc. It's easier than it sounds. Forums can get you chasing ghosts. Find the pinout for your p28, goto harbor freight buy ohm meter.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Personally id go with hondata any day over Neptune etc.... User friendly constantly getting updates. Flex fuel capable for your turbo setup
Old 11-29-2013, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya im thinking he either got it to pass with those wires he ran, or ended up paying for the waiver. I know for a fact in Olympia you have to pass emissions, its the capital lol.

I know the requirements for DEQ are different pending on location in WA. If you're in a area that doesnt need it I'l take your word for it. Wish it was that way for me lol... But my 94' Vtec model is obd1 anyhow, so a little easier but still a pain.

I went Neptune RTP myself, just save quickly and get that. A street tune is still a few hundred bucks, almost as much as the RTP. Street tuning a chip is a waste of money in the long run for you if your getting a demon IMO.
Well im guessing that he did the waver. Because i bought the car with the p13 in it. He did not have the original ecu. So i got one, and had Honda reprogram it to my car WITH OUT THE RED KEY, its is doable to take an ecu out of a totally different car and swap without the red key.
Yeah but is it worth it to get the demon and Neptune RTP if i dont even have the turbo.
Attached Images      
Old 11-29-2013, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so i'm going to get a TD61u out of a 1995 external coil. l believe it is the one that will work.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

someone gave you the wrong information, h22a Is a OBD2 motor notice the EGR valve right there besides the dizzy.. emissions component, obd1 means you dont need that part...

my obd1 swapped h22a with an UNCHIPPED p28 runs fine. Lopes alittle but needs a chip.
You probably got a crappy chip install or something of the sort

Also you should clean your dizzy contacts, looking at the picture they look well used, Also fill in and cover those cracks, tape the wires make sure there's no exposed wires.
another thing if you're converting to obd1 from obd2 don't you need an obd1 dizzy aswell and other parts?
Old 12-01-2013, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 95Sedan
my obd1 swapped h22a with an UNCHIPPED p28 runs fine.
Are you serious...? Why the hell would anyone in their god damn mind believe anything that comes out your mouth when you spew stupid **** like this?

You do know a P28 is a D-series ECU correct? Just because they both have 4 cylinders and a valve cover with vtec stamped on it doesnt mean they are interchangeable...

Your going to blow you're **** up and you will have nobody to blame but yourself. I hope Nobody ever reads any of that and takes you serious...
Old 12-01-2013, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah p28 is for sohc

his obd1 ecu chipped running the 2 motor and NOT running fine, there's probably something wrong with the chip

my car runs fine unchipped. I don't beat the **** out of it but it runs
Old 12-01-2013, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah p28 is for sohc

his obd1 ecu chipped running the 2 motor and NOT running fine, there's probably something wrong with the chip

my car runs fine unchipped. I don't beat the **** out of it but it runs
Im not even going to argue with you, you clearly have no idea what your talking about. The fact that you think its OK to run a d series ecu on a h22a period without a H series base map show how little you know.

I never said it wouldnt crank over, but the damages as a result of your ignorance WILL without a doubt come back to bite you in the *** regardless of how much you baby it...

Old 12-01-2013, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

someone gave you the wrong information, h22a Is a OBD2 motor notice the EGR valve right there besides the dizzy.. emissions component, obd1 means you dont need that part...

my obd1 swapped h22a with an UNCHIPPED p28 runs fine. Lopes alittle but needs a chip.
You probably got a crappy chip install or something of the sort

Also you should clean your dizzy contacts, looking at the picture they look well used, Also fill in and cover those cracks, tape the wires make sure there's no exposed wires.
another thing if you're converting to obd1 from obd2 don't you need an obd1 dizzy aswell and other parts?
In '96 the ludes where both obd1 and obd2. I have an '96 jdm h22a in my 2000 body. The dizy is a td61u obd1. Did you even read my whole thread before you posted this? I believe the reason the p28 is not working is the ELD'S are removed from the p28, so my alternator is not pushing out the correct voltage, if i replace it then ill know if it for sure is the base map he i have in the p28 or not.
Are you serious...? Why the hell would anyone in their god damn mind believe anything that comes out your mouth when you spew stupid **** like this?

You do know a P28 is a D-series ECU correct? Just because they both have 4 cylinders and a valve cover with vtec stamped on it doesnt mean they are interchangeable...

Your going to blow you're **** up and you will have nobody to blame but yourself. I hope Nobody ever reads any of that and takes you serious...
I to agree with Sparksman. ^

But back to the thing at state here. I did put in the td61u dizzy it kinda helped the before stated, missfier codes i got. but now i get them only when i hit vtec. or around 5200 or soo. But i am going to readjust the ignition timing a bit more tomorrow.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks like the contacts on your dizzy have to be cleaned too.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

have a new dizzy in, so... thanks.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

have a new dizzy in, so... thanks.
Did you find the time to adjust the timing and see if its still throwing the light in vtec?
Old 12-03-2013, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you find the time to adjust the timing and see if its still throwing the light in vtec?
Yes I did. It didn't make a difference.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So it's gittin' close to time to relicense my lude for the first Tim seance I got it. And I'm having the same problem as I was be for with the PO0301-PO0304 all (cylinder misfires), PO0300 (random/multiple cylinder misfire detected) and a PO1399 (manufacture specific power train trouble) idk what to do. I need it fixed, I've tried all I can think of.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:59 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I still am not sure what chassis you're running. I saw something about a 2000 so I'm going to guess you're running a 2000 car. Motors aren't obd specific. It's all about the chassis. Assuming you're running the 2000 chassis all you needed to do was use your existing ecu and existing distributor and swap over the crank pulley, balance shaft pulley, and crank sensors to the jdm motor.

You would need a temporary key for the immobilizer until you could get to either a locksmith or a Honda dealer or Honda mechanic to have the immobilizer flashed.

No jdm h22a has the crank sensors/pulleys from the factory. They have to be swapped from your usdm motor. This is ALWAYS the case.

Not sure why someone earlier in this thread talked about a motor being "obd1 because of the egr valve". All usdm h22a's have the egr. One of the very few obd1 motors not having one is the b16a off the top of my head. All f and h motors have one.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:39 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the p13 ending in a12 is '96 obd2 without the immobilizer and p13 ending in a10 a11 l10 and l11 is obd1 and a02 or l02 is 97 98 obd2a and l05 is 99 00 obd2b
Old 02-14-2014, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
I still am not sure what chassis you're running. I saw something about a 2000 so I'm going to guess you're running a 2000 car. Motors aren't obd specific. It's all about the chassis. Assuming you're running the 2000 chassis all you needed to do was use your existing ecu and existing distributor and swap over the crank pulley, balance shaft pulley, and crank sensors to the jdm motor. You would need a temporary key for the immobilizer until you could get to either a locksmith or a Honda dealer or Honda mechanic to have the immobilizer flashed. No jdm h22a has the crank sensors/pulleys from the factory. They have to be swapped from your usdm motor. This is ALWAYS the case. Not sure why someone earlier in this thread talked about a motor being "obd1 because of the egr valve". All usdm h22a's have the egr. One of the very few obd1 motors not having one is the b16a off the top of my head. All f and h motors have one.
Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
the p13 ending in a12 is '96 obd2 without the immobilizer and p13 ending in a10 a11 l10 and l11 is obd1 and a02 or l02 is 97 98 obd2a and l05 is 99 00 obd2b
Yes. I have all that done. And I'm running a obd2 ECU. And I'm still getting the codes
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-prelude-4/help-i-have-p0301-p0303-p0304-p0302-p0300-codes-pending-p1399-3176515/ this is the other post I had.

Quick Reply: H22a with chiped p28 ecu runs like crap!! help.