Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

h22 w h23 crank turbo??

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: h22 w h23 crank turbo?? (GaRn)

The h23 crank isnt nearly as well balanced as the h22 crank. The h22 crank counterweights are drilled and cut to achieve balance, the h23 crank is only drilled.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: h22 w h23 crank turbo?? (h22Hatchy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h22Hatchy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Basically, I'm getting that the boost level doen't matter, just aim for a goal on power, which makes sense. For rpm it seems like it is still wishy washy cause u guys are still arguing about it. I didn't know that the stock rpm redline on the h23 was 7,200. I thought it was less, because with my jdm h22a my stock rev limit was about 7,200. I was hopeing to rev high since I got all the head work done, but reving to 7,200 is fine concidering thats what I was at before and I guess it will obviously be safer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well to answer your original question, I took mine to 7900 with peak power occuring at 7700. Good Luck. My rotating assembly was balanced again, not just the factory job.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22 w h23 crank turbo?? (h22Hatchy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h22Hatchy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">[QUOTE=The_Head]

To the thread originator, you already had your mind made up, it seems like you wasted our time. Seems to me you were just looking to the Internet for acceptance. If you go for years with no problems then congratulations. If you spin a bearing or throw a rod, dont make a thread crying about it.QUOTE]

I wasnt looking for acceptance and I didn't have my mind made up. If u feel I wasted your time then my apologys, and I guess go have your time wasted elsewhere. I said it clearly. The crank is already in the motor and the motor is completely put together. After all that, I am not going to have it taken apart and put an h22 crank in it and put it all together again and waste more time and money. Thats why my question was simple. I wanted to know from people who have more knowledge on the issue what rpm range I can go to safely and to what boost level so that I do not spin a bearing or break something.
Basically, I'm getting that the boost level doen't matter, just aim for a goal on power, which makes sense. For rpm it seems like it is still wishy washy cause u guys are still arguing about it. I didn't know that the stock rpm redline on the h23 was 7,200. I thought it was less, because with my jdm h22a my stock rev limit was about 7,200. I was hopeing to rev high since I got all the head work done, but reving to 7,200 is fine concidering thats what I was at before and I guess it will obviously be safer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just because your h22 crank revved to 7200 easily, doesn't mean you h23 crank revved that high will be fine. H23 redlines at 6500.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22 w h23 crank turbo?? (vinuneuro)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vinuneuro &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Just because your h22 crank revved to 7200 easily, doesn't mean you h23 crank revved that high will be fine. H23 redlines at 6500.</TD></TR></TABLE>

They visually redline on the tachometer is at 6,500 rpms yes, but the rev limit is at approx. 7,200 according to my zeitronix datalogger (from the distributor rpm wire going to the ECU)
Old 01-31-2006, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it that the fuel cutoff is 7200 but the recommended redline is 6500?
Old 01-31-2006, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22 w h23 crank turbo?? (The_Head)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The_Head &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is it that the fuel cutoff is 7200 but the recommended redline is 6500?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly.. most cars "redline" on the tach isnt the actual fuel cutoff..
Old 02-01-2006, 08:43 AM

Thanks for the info guys. Im wating on my manifold to be delivered and a few other minor things and then putting it in the car. Ill let u guys know how it turns out.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GaRn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
.. its common knowledge higher stroke = more lower end torque

</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats where your wrong, its a common mis conception. the low end torque you gain from a larger stroke motor is due to the angle that the rod is acting on the crank. if you uped your stroke and adjusted the r/s ratio to be the same as it was before then the torque curve would almost match the shape of the previous motor but be bumped up due to the more displacement. r/s ratio is what gives the motor is torque at a specific rpm.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GaRn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
so be a pioneer and don't listen to everyone that is bashing the idea that HAVE NO EXPERIENCE with it..
</TD></TR></TABLE>

some people have more experiecne than you think. im boosting on a h23 crank with a h22 head in an 85 bore, which equates to the exact displacement of the h22. with the different r/s ratio i do notice more low end torque, and a power band that falls faster in the top end. It is the nature of the motor to act the way it does.

the point i was trying to make earlier is that a motor with a better r/s ratio will be able to carry torque into a high rpm with out it diving off as fast like a worse r/s ratio motor would.

i have seen many h22 turbo dynos and h23 dynos, the h22 head on the h23 will definatly help the motor breath, but with the stroke and short rod when you get up into higher rpms, your torque is going to fall quick because the high pistons speeds are literly pulling the piston away from the flame front before it can fully "act" on the piston.

Don't get me wrong though, i love my boosted 95mm motor. I just know its not for high rpm. if the poster want high rpm power with a broader torque curve he should go with a h22 crank. If the poster wasnt more low and midrange go with the h23 crank. just be warned after a certian point the motor does a whole lot of reving while the toque takes a dive. The are alot of factors thar people are over looking. a motor with a r/s ratio like the h23 breathes a lot differently than a motor with the h22 r/s. you can't just slap a h22 head on a h23 block and expect to have the torque of the h23 with the high hp of the h22.

alot of good information and good opinions in this thread, but everyone needs to have an open mind and consider what each other is saying. the poster most of all needs to think about what they want out of their motor,
Old 02-03-2006, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22 w h23 crank turbo?? (prelittlelude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prelittlelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

thats where your wrong, its a common mis conception. the low end torque you gain from a larger stroke motor is due to the angle that the rod is acting on the crank. if you uped your stroke and adjusted the r/s ratio to be the same as it was before then the torque curve would almost match the shape of the previous motor but be bumped up due to the more displacement. r/s ratio is what gives the motor is torque at a specific rpm.

some people have more experiecne than you think. im boosting on a h23 crank with a h22 head in an 85 bore, which equates to the exact displacement of the h22. with the different r/s ratio i do notice more low end torque, and a power band that falls faster in the top end. It is the nature of the motor to act the way it does.

the point i was trying to make earlier is that a motor with a better r/s ratio will be able to carry torque into a high rpm with out it diving off as fast like a worse r/s ratio motor would.

i have seen many h22 turbo dynos and h23 dynos, the h22 head on the h23 will definatly help the motor breath, but with the stroke and short rod when you get up into higher rpms, your torque is going to fall quick because the high pistons speeds are literly pulling the piston away from the flame front before it can fully "act" on the piston.

Don't get me wrong though, i love my boosted 95mm motor. I just know its not for high rpm. if the poster want high rpm power with a broader torque curve he should go with a h22 crank. If the poster wasnt more low and midrange go with the h23 crank. just be warned after a certian point the motor does a whole lot of reving while the toque takes a dive. The are alot of factors thar people are over looking. a motor with a r/s ratio like the h23 breathes a lot differently than a motor with the h22 r/s. you can't just slap a h22 head on a h23 block and expect to have the torque of the h23 with the high hp of the h22.

alot of good information and good opinions in this thread, but everyone needs to have an open mind and consider what each other is saying. the poster most of all needs to think about what they want out of their motor,</TD></TR></TABLE>

You just explained exactly what I was saying.. I was referring to a longer stroke on the same setup of course, why would I talk about a completely different setup or platform?

Old 02-03-2006, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You just explained exactly what I was saying.. I was referring to a longer stroke on the same setup of course, why would I talk about a completely different setup or platform?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agreed with some points in this thread, but mainly posted to disagree with somethings you said.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:40 AM
Trial User

Default Re: h22 w h23 crank turbo??

Originally Posted by h22Hatchy
Alright, My setup is a h22a head and h22a4 block sleeved to 89mm, pistons and rods and no balance shaft turboed using Hondata. I recently overheated my car and took it to the machine shop to have them do all the work. While it was apart I had them p@p the head and they bored it and threw in some oversized custom springs valves and retainers and refinished it cause it warped a bit. They also refinished the block, and cylinders. They pistons were torn up so I got new pistons and rings. Kept the rods cause they were fine. Got new custom rod bearings and main bearings. They refinished the crank too.
Now my question is about the crank. It is an h23 crank. I have head that they can hold the stress and I have head that they can't. I have heard I can and can't rev past a certain rpm. io heard I can't boost a certain amount. But what is the deal seriously? I redid all this stuff to make it dependable along with other stuff and get some serious hp/tq, including a new turbo setup. I got it done professionaly at a machine shop balanced and blue printed. Now will the crank be an issue? How high can I rev? How much boost can I run? Thanks.
None vteac it wall boost up to 13psl safe vetac 9 now u can boost up to 32psi if done right but i would run 3to13 boost up in 3 gear u know what up this is the wokink compter rickie
Old 04-05-2018, 01:49 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by h22Hatchy
Alright, My setup is a h22a head and h22a4 block sleeved to 89mm, pistons and rods and no balance shaft turboed using Hondata. I recently overheated my car and took it to the machine shop to have them do all the work. While it was apart I had them p@p the head and they bored it and threw in some oversized custom springs valves and retainers and refinished it cause it warped a bit. They also refinished the block, and cylinders. They pistons were torn up so I got new pistons and rings. Kept the rods cause they were fine. Got new custom rod bearings and main bearings. They refinished the crank too.
Now my question is about the crank. It is an h23 crank. I have head that they can hold the stress and I have head that they can't. I have heard I can and can't rev past a certain rpm. io heard I can't boost a certain amount. But what is the deal seriously? I redid all this stuff to make it dependable along with other stuff and get some serious hp/tq, including a new turbo setup. I got it done professionaly at a machine shop balanced and blue printed. Now will the crank be an issue? How high can I rev? How much boost can I run? Thanks.
i got a h23 whit turbo setup but not runing a turbo going whit a gear 4 speed gvl first 3\4 turns lower then Reeves stupid you know no red line down draft 3in straet pipe to eclp turbo sipter egzust moffler cool air and I'm good tod feel me 83 hatchback
Old 04-05-2018, 01:50 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Rick Ciaccia
i got a h23 whit turbo setup but not runing a turbo going whit a gear 4 speed gvl first 3\4 turns lower then Reeves stupid you know no red line down draft 3in straet pipe to eclp turbo sipter egzust moffler cool air and I'm good tod feel me 83 hatchback
on 17 by 9.5 rims 5 stars raceing rims
Old 04-05-2018, 01:52 AM
Trial User

Pink up put up or shut up