Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

H22 Crank Pulley Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22 Crank Pulley Question

Damn.

While putting the new motor in I chipped the large part of the crank pulley.

Not on the smaller/outter part, but on the larger inner part.

Is this going to be a problem? (It's about a 1/8x1 inch in size a chip.)

Gerhard
Old 12-12-2004, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: H22 Crank Pulley Question (gerhard)

Well, that's not good. I think you'd be OK for a little while, but I'd try to find a new one...
Old 12-12-2004, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Depending on where the chip is exactly it could eat the belt right away. I would file it down so its smooth if your going to leave it on. goodluck
Old 12-13-2004, 10:01 AM

I suggest you should get a new one, and if you decided to get a new one get an aftermarket one. The pulley will eat the belt right out.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 Crank Pulley Question (accord-lude)

I actually ordered an OEM one... what are my aftermarket choices?
Old 12-13-2004, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you left it you could potentially ruin bearings very fast.....the pulley contributes to the balancing of the crank, and if it is chipped, it will be out of balance, putting more stress on some parts of the bearings than others.....this will cause them to fail more easily....

the oem one is the best option, it will work well with the factory internals

you shouldnt really use one of the lighter aftermarket ones unless you have a fully built and balanced engine, they are too light and throw things off.....

unorthodox is the only definite brand i know of, but i have heard other ones on here....
Old 12-13-2004, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mgags7)

Yeah... I really didn't want to spend the cash... but a new motor or chewing up blets is not cost effective.

Thanks all!
Old 12-13-2004, 11:35 AM
Banned

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mgags7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
unorthodox is the only definite brand i know of, but i have heard other ones on here....</TD></TR></TABLE>

After tons of research, I came to the conclusion the "lightweight crank pulley" is a really bad idea because it doesn't dampen harmonics. This is completely different from the pulley being "balanced," but rather its inability to dampen the crank from "ringing" from the power pulses.

My opinion is, someday, a class-action lawsuit is going to hit Unorthodex Racing over this.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh thanks for the info, i wasnt sure exactly what the problem with it was but i knew there was one....

i think there is a company that makes one with a damper on it.....ati maybe something with an a or a t or maybe both???? cant remember......

anyway.....unorthodox probably has some disclaimer to damages.....
Old 12-13-2004, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mgags7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you left it you could potentially ruin bearings very fast.....the pulley contributes to the balancing of the crank, and if it is chipped, it will be out of balance, putting more stress on some parts of the bearings than others.....this will cause them to fail more easily....

the oem one is the best option, it will work well with the factory internals

you shouldnt really use one of the lighter aftermarket ones unless you have a fully built and balanced engine, they are too light and throw things off.....
....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good info
Old 12-13-2004, 12:02 PM
Banned

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mgags7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
anyway.....unorthodox probably has some disclaimer to damages.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

They do, but when people who know about crankshaft harmonics say it's going to do very bad things to bearings and the crank when a dampener isn't used... and what they say really does happen, then to me it it doesn't really matter then what a vender claims.

Again this has nothing to do with static balance, but everything to do with the crank flexing due to power pulses. Most people think the pulley just balances the crank. That's one function, but the crank doesn't move smoothly and that's the purpose of the rubber-isolated ring, to mechanically smooth out the power pulses ringing back and forth in the crank.