Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Got car back from gettin tuned.....10 mins later..

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got car back from gettin tuned.....10 mins later..

OK i got my car back from getting tuned, it made 277 whp @10psi. Great.

After i drove 10 mins from shop, my car starts sputtering, then died. It wouldnt start again, but would try to turn over.

The fuel pump was not turning on with the key in the "On Position." So i called the shop and they said it was prolly the main relay and they tried lookin for an h23 relay and came over. It started, all was good, then i drove for like 5 mins then it died again. Same thing, fuel pump wouldn't turn on. Hard start, if it starts, the sec i touch teh throttle it dies.

If i wait like 5 mins and try to start it up again it works fine, i can hear the pump going.

SO what i did was waited like 5 mins, then it started up.

I took it for the 10-15 min drive or so back to the shop and left it there. When i got to the shop i left it running for another 5-10 mins, and it was working fine....didnt die, and now its in the shop.

It has a Walbro pump.
Now my question is, could the shop have possibly put in the wrong relay? would the car even start if it were the wrong relay?
Im not badmouthin the shop, but im not sure if they were positive if it was a h23 relay or not since this was kinda spur of the moment and they brougth a couple other relays.

Does anyone maybe know why it worked fine on the way home or any info you can throw at me about this would help a lot.

Sucks, i thought id be driving my car finally this weekend.
Old 05-10-2003, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Got car back from gettin tuned.....10 mins later.. (MordecaiPSI)

ive had these problems with my stock pump and it sucks.......and when you try to show someone it always seems to run fine. Sometimes i think my car gets pissed at me
Old 05-10-2003, 07:52 AM

Default Re: Got car back from gettin tuned.....10 mins later.. (ludesleep)

I dont get wtf is going on. Is it the pump or the main relay, or what?

Is there a way of testing for to see if they r workin with a multimeter somehow? (im horrible w/electrical shiiit)
Old 05-10-2003, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you and me are in the same boat buddy. I couldnt figure it out so i replaced mine with a new walbro pump. But if you say yours is still doing it them i might still have the problem, and would like to find out so i can fix.. Anyone else know ??
Old 05-10-2003, 08:05 AM

Default Re: Got car back from gettin tuned.....10 mins later.. (ludesleep)

From peopel ive talked to walbros dont go bad often. Ever sign points to main relay, but i replaced that and it doesnt seem to be fixed. Does anyoen know any common grounding points maybe which might be bad and cause this?
Old 05-10-2003, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check the wattage going to the pump.. u might have a short somewhere..
Old 05-10-2003, 08:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Got car back from gettin tuned.....10 mins later.. (BoostedH23a1)

or just hook it straight to a switch and turn it on and off at your leisure. Great theft deturent anyway.

I wouldn't toy around with boost and a faulty fuel system. That's just ASKING for it.
Old 05-10-2003, 08:46 AM
Banned

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostedH23a1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check the wattage going to the pump.. u might have a short somewhere..</TD></TR></TABLE>

You mean "current." Anyway, the way to get to the bottom of this is to put the meter across the pump so it can read the voltage. Run long wires so you can watch it as you start and drive the car - it's the only way to fix stuff like this. And be careful about grounds... they can cause the worst problems, especially if you assume they're good and they aren't. The way to check stuff in that case is to always connect the meter to the same points that the device itself run off of. That is, in the case of the pump, connect the meter directly to the +terminal, and to wherever it gets ground, but right at that point, not on the other side of some connector. If the connector is bad and you take readings "up stream", you'll never find the problem if it. This stuff isn't hard just as long as you "trust nothing."
Old 05-10-2003, 08:56 AM

Default Re: Got car back from gettin tuned.....10 mins later.. (kb58)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kb58 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You mean "current." Anyway, the way to get to the bottom of this is to put the meter across the pump so it can read the voltage. Run long wires so you can watch it as you start and drive the car - it's the only way to fix stuff like this. And be careful about grounds... they can cause the worst problems, especially if you assume they're good and they aren't. The way to check stuff in that case is to always connect the meter to the same points that the device itself run off of. That is, in the case of the pump, connect the meter directly to the +terminal, and to wherever it gets ground, but right at that point, not on the other side of some connector. If the connector is bad and you take readings "up stream", you'll never find the problem if it. This stuff isn't hard just as long as you "trust nothing."</TD></TR></TABLE>

^^^^^^^^^

what he said.

Trust nothing. Even if it "looks" like it's good or connected well.
Old 05-10-2003, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Got car back from gettin tuned.....10 mins later.. (Lone Luder)

Gotcha. Its back at the shop right now, didnt risk the 2 hr drive back home in traffic so i left it there. Hopefully inline is good at troubleshooting this kinda stuff and will be able to find what sup with it.
Old 05-10-2003, 11:50 AM

In my H22 accord, my car did the EXACT same thing. I swapped out fuel pumps and it did it again. Found out later that my ignitor was the problem. I'd go look into it if i was you.
Old 05-10-2003, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Got car back from gettin tuned.....10 mins later.. (96Prelord)

current wattage amps ohmns whatever.
Old 05-10-2003, 01:45 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostedH23a1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">current wattage amps ohmns whatever.</TD></TR></TABLE>

just say "juice." That encompasses it all.