Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

is this a good set-up for autocross?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this a good set-up for autocross?

mugen suspension
mugen headers
tanabe sustec tie bars f+r
suspension techniques sway bars f+r
injen cold air intake
Thermal R&D CL exhaust
Rota Slipstreams (Toyo T1-S)
Earl's braided brake lines
Random Tech cat
Old 10-03-2005, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is this a good set-up for autocross? (bard329)

Sure it is except your missing the most importaint part... The driver! If you cant drive the best setup in the world wont help you.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:33 PM

The Mugen suspension would be very expensive. I think GC+Koni would be a good replacement. Same goes for the header.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:35 PM

Default Re: is this a good set-up for autocross? (h22 vtec lude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h22 vtec lude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sure it is except your missing the most importaint part... The driver! If you cant drive the best setup in the world wont help you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well i've done a few autox's but never in my own car. i just got the car recently so i was wondering what to expect from the car before i give it a try
Old 10-03-2005, 09:35 PM

Default Re: is this a good set-up for autocross? (thegeorge613)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thegeorge613 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The Mugen suspension would be very expensive. I think GC+Koni would be a good replacement. Same goes for the header.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that list is of everything already in/on the car
Old 10-03-2005, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good enough
Old 10-04-2005, 04:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is this a good set-up for autocross? (khalal538)

What class are you thiniking of running? Sounds like sts?

The Mugen stuff is NICE, but not stiff enough and over priced. And like "thegeorge613" said a Ground control and Koni Or KYB-AGX is a really nice setup. I have the GC, AGX and very happy with it. I hit about 10-15 auto-x per year.

The header is REALLY nice, but you will only gain ~5whp from it. There are TONS of other supporting MOds that you need to add to make that header worth it. The stock on breaths really well for Stock.

The Tanabe tie bars are nice but there over kill. I REALLY doubt that there is ANY sort of subframe fles that this little peice of aluminum will fix.

And the ST sway bars. I would go with JUST the rear and replace the ST with the Progress rear bar. That is stiffer and will get more movement in the rear of the car.

Light weight rims are a good thought. Tires are important... Depending on class that you plan on running.

SS brake lines are not "needed" for Auto-x. But they are a NICE addition with a set of agressive pads.

Exhaust is nice and will flow better.

I PERSONALLY would swap the Exhaust and header for a Quaife LSD! Yes that would bump your class to STX, but you will NEVER buy another FWD car without a LSD. You can make USE of the Torque that the H22 possesses.

Good luck and have fun.

http://www.preludeonline.com is a GREAT site with TONS of infomation.

Old 10-04-2005, 06:27 AM

Default Re: is this a good set-up for autocross? (KENLUDE97)

The Mugen suspension is fine for AutoX but, as you get more competitive, you'll notice it is a bit soft. I ran it for 2 yrs and was successful with it. However, I'm building my car for a posible nationals visit and in my class (DSP) the Mugen can't hack it, so I've upgraded. I recommend GCs with (550f/650r) springs and Koni Yellows with SPSS valving for a car that you still want to drive on the street.

The Mugen header picked up 11 whp for me on the dyno. Tie bars are not necessary but if you already have them shouldn't cause problems or change your class, IIRC. A rear sway bar is more important than a front to help the car rotate on command more easily. CAI is good for a couple hp and doesn't effect class (non stock). Thermal is as good as any other NA exhaust for the Prelude, minimal gains. What size are the slips? The type of tire is more important than the wheel type, typically speaking. The brake lines and cat won't hurt but aren't necessary for a good autoXer.

A Prelude in STS is not a nationals winner, which I think would be your class, but thats not important when you're just starting out. Take what you have and learn to get the most out of it. Really learn to push yourself and the car until you know that the car is holding you back. This could take several seasons depending on your seat time.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: is this a good set-up for autocross? (h22 vtec lude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h22 vtec lude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sure it is except your missing the most importaint part... The driver! If you cant drive the best setup in the world wont help you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly, I have witnessed MANY cars being beat by stock Civics. The best was when a BONE STOCK 99 Civic beat 2 S2000's. lol

I've autoXed my car a few times stock. It works just fine. Oh, I had over 160K miles on my stock suspension too. I even tracked my stock Prelude a few times. It still VERY enjoyable.

I know a few REALLY good autoXers in my area. They have only a few mods (only shocks and tires, maybe a few minor mods too) and they are dominating their class.

It ALL comes down to the driver. Added mods without knowing the car will hinder your learning curve. Plus, it will put you in a group you are going to have an even great difficulty competing against. I say first learn the car as it is, then mod it accordingly as you progress.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is this a good set-up for autocross? (AndyD)

I got get on this. i have done autox for 2 years and i seen plenty and read a lot. the best improvement you can get it an autox school. you can usly go to a 3 day one for like 400 it helps you with basics and other stuff that helps you big time. the new DOT hoosiers get those for the slips.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:18 PM

Default Re: is this a good set-up for autocross? (subydoored)

the slips are 16's with plenty of rubber on them (toyo t1-s).

as for the mugen suspension... i know this isn't a great comparison, but i have kyb agx adjustables on my 1990 300zx and the mugen is much better and much stiffer.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:43 PM

the earlier comment about the stock civic beating s200's...i've actually seen that happens also...It' s pretty much all about the diver...$4000 worth of sus mods versus a $4000 stock car could be a toss up...the autox school is a big help...you can really get to know your car well...i took few classes at a bmw show altho a rear wheel is a lil different...but all in all...take the school with your car and mods and you'd do fine...if not really well...
Old 10-06-2005, 07:15 AM

Default Re: is this a good set-up for autocross? (pyk012)

don't worry about the parts on the car and just drive it. the best way to go faster is simple:

seat time + seat time + seat time

and a little professional instruction doesn't hurt either