Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

GLASS Sunroof for a 4G Lude?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: GLASS Sunroof for a 4G Lude?! (RHD_BB4T)

that's AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! i've been wanting a glass roof since i bought the car, can you do a detail write up? thank you
Old 04-10-2004, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92LudeSI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92LudeSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you have to take the interior roof off or what?</TD></TR></TABLE>

In order to take out the sunroof assembly, you DO have to take out the roof liner and the interior panel just behind it. There are 10 mounting bolts (10mm) and two 90 degree "T" metal tabs (hard to explain, but you'd know if you saw them) that go around the perimiter of the assembly. Don't forget to disconnect the sunroof drain tubes first. Once the bolts are taken out, the front of the assembly will drop, and it will just hang on the two "T" tabs on the rear side of the assembly. Slide the unit out of the slot and down... that's it.

I'll see if I can do a write up for the rest later... I'm at work right now, and don't have access to my cam and pics.

It's really amazingly simple... I'm kinda mad that I havent tried it sooner.

Old 04-11-2004, 02:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so youre saying that no one here have a glass sunroof on a 4th gen unless you mod it? i got it like that, so i dont know if its stock or aftermarket. damn i feel special. ill try to take some pictures tomorrow.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:49 AM

rusty sunroof here too......

waitin for updates
Old 04-11-2004, 08:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Daboi630)

Someone told me that this would work a long time ago but I never had the ***** to try it.... Glad you did ...
Old 04-12-2004, 01:06 PM

It looks like when its open there isnt as much open area as with the stock 4th gen sunroof. Is it just the picture. I think already the stock sunroof should go backa few more inches. but thats just me.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah seriously let it rain on the thing ans see how good it works, and while driving..I'm a little skeptical.

The CF sunroof solution should be ready soon
Old 04-12-2004, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (satan_srv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by satan_srv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The CF sunroof solution should be ready soon </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-12-2004, 08:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember up until now, I had heard SO many people "claim" to have tried out the 5th gen panel on the 4th gen and complain about how it was either not the right size or the curvature was too different.

Thank GOD someone actually tried it and found out otherwise!

Where can someone pick up a cheap glass panel?
Old 04-12-2004, 08:37 PM

Default Re: (LudeyKrus)

well I still think the fitment IS different and the curvature IS somewhat different, but the rubber masks it slightly and he redrilled the mounting points.

I would like to see it tested in the elements before saying it's a good idea..unfortunately it appears the car has no motor in it
Old 04-12-2004, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

like to see write up for this, as well as pictures or entire process if you have them.

thnx

Catz
Old 04-13-2004, 12:34 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by satan_srv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The CF sunroof solution should be ready soon </TD></TR></TABLE>
How much $ Joel?
Old 04-13-2004, 12:42 AM

CF sunroof sounds hott, i would like to see it first tho, the glass one definately gives ur car "newer" look, i just dont like that theres no sliding panel, cuz sometimes sun can be a lil annoying
Old 04-13-2004, 02:20 PM

Default Re: (JDM GIRL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM GIRL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
How much $ Joel?</TD></TR></TABLE>

see description below
Old 04-13-2004, 02:55 PM

Default Re:

Do you think that the enire assembly from 5th gen will swap out into the 4th gen? I mean the complete fixture (rails, glass, slider). I was thinking there could be some difficulty with clearance, especially the slider being able to clear the headliner. What do you think?
Old 04-13-2004, 03:27 PM

I have had a CF Sunroof on my car for about a year. Probably the first person to have it on a 4th gen.

Weight= 4 pounds.

Pics of it on the car from a distance. CF Sunroof, Spoon CF Original MIrrors, Cf Trunk and a wack of other crap.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:30 PM

Default Re: (phatz)

My cars a bit dirty. It has been sitting for a while.

I know the mold is still kicking around somewhere.
Next time I go there I probably will tell them to ripp a couple copies for me.
It does not leak water, at least not mine. Just had to re-bore the mounting holes because the studs placed in the sunroof were a bit off... and some locktite on the stud nuts.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:31 PM

Also the 5th gen Glass roof WILL not fit. I tried to fit it in my 4th gen before I made the cf one.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:29 PM

Did you try the complete assembly, or just the glass?
Old 04-14-2004, 04:18 AM
bdb

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by phatz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also the 5th gen Glass roof WILL not fit. I tried to fit it in my 4th gen before I made the cf one.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok now I don't understand as this completely contradicts the pics on the 1st page of this thread.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:09 AM

Don't mean to bring this post back from the dead but Phatz can you please tell us why the 4th gen roof will not fit. As bdb said previously, it completely contradicts what is show in the first post. Obviously it will fit. Are you saying that it leaks? More info please.
RHD_BB4T if I read your post correctly you mentioned that in the normal install of the 5th gen roof on a 4th gen the roof will sit a little too high and must be shimmed. Maybe I'm not understanding because I'm not looking at it but how do you shim it down. Based on the recent memory of taking my stock one out I can't imagine how you can shim it down.

Thanks
Old 04-14-2004, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GLASS Sunroof for a 4G Lude?! (E_luder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by E_luder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> ...how do you shim it down. Based on the recent memory of taking my stock one out I can't imagine how you can shim it down.</TD></TR></TABLE>

OK, when I say "shim the sunroof DOWN," what I mean is that before you actually BOLT the assembly to the roof of the car, you'll need to put washers or some other type of shimming device/plate between the roof of the car and the sunroof assembly. This will tuck the entire assembly down into place and make it flush with the roofline.

Someone else mentioned that it looks like the sunroof does not open all the way. This it only because I didn't have the roof crancked all the way open. Trust me, it WILL open completely like the 4G metal panel.

On another note, as far as leaking goes. The glass panel sits in the opening exactly like the metal panel does. It's not any tighter or looser of a fit. Water will get through the rubber seal even on the stock metal roof. The roof is designed this way (read: it's not a water tight seal to begin with), that's why there are four sunroof drain tubes that let the water flow away as soon as any leakage occurs...

Hope this helps a bit!

phatz: that's a NICE CF panel!!!

Dan P.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:45 AM
bdb

Thanks for the clarification.

I guess now someone will have to fit the metal panel from a 4th gen into a 5th gen opening.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:13 AM

Default Re: GLASS Sunroof for a 4G Lude?! (bdb)

Well from what I recall [about a year or so ago. i recall measuring them and they did not measure up, but I never physcially tried to mount the 5th gen glass into the 4th gen.. MY measurements may have been wrong.. but wow if the guy has fit a 5th gen glass roof into a 4th gen body.. i say thats your best bet for your sunroof problems. again I did not phsyically try and bolt it in. I just measured it and I recall my the measurements were not the same.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by satan_srv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

There's no way to cost/time effectively make a complete CF replacement and guarantee it will fit properly. Additionally there is minor weight savings by replacing the panel. So what I'm planning to release is a 2 part kit:

1. A CF sunroof skin, pops overtop of your OEM moonroof. If you have any rust you can sand and primer the beast, or even cut it out if you want to, you just need to retain the edge and underframe, as that's what the full skin will go around. It's a cost effective solution. Just pop it on...use adhesive it you like, or not if you want to take it off later. This guarantees perfect fitment...replacing the underframe I was worried about fitment issues. Also this way you can buy it to address rusting or just for show

2. A CF liner piece that replaces the bottom grey cover to give the in-car CF bling

Both pieces should go for around $250 shipped. Sound fair? I don't know I'm just finising the prototype</TD></TR></TABLE>

i dunno joel, 250 is kinda steap for a "jimmy hat" type sun roof panel.. i guess we will see how it looks once you have them done.. the rust on mine is pissing me off and getting worse.. if it comes out all bling blang like then ill be picking one up off of you to fund your top secret projects.. hehe

Quick Reply: GLASS Sunroof for a 4G Lude?!