Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Front Tower Bar/Rear Sway Bar/Rear Strut Tower Bar/Lower Tie Bar question

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Tower Bar/Rear Sway Bar/Rear Strut Tower Bar/Lower Tie Bar question

what combo works best together, or the most decent set up to get. I've search and came up with some set ups. This is for a 92 Prelude S. Between the Dc/Skunk/neuspeed lower tie bar whats better, what what goes with what. i dont want to buy a sway bar and have it not fit because i gotta lower tie bar that is a different brand. so again what is the dencent set up that goes together?

Modified by SiB16a at 12:12 AM 1/25/2005
Old 01-24-2005, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front Tower Bar/Rear Sway Bar/Rear Strut Tower Bar/Lower Tie Bar question (SiB16a)

anyone?
Old 01-24-2005, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a good rear sway, save your money on everything else and put it into better tires or a better suspension.

chassis stiffening items like STB's and Tie bars do pretty much jackshit. and even if they do, you'd only be able to tell at the absolute limit of lateral grip.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bad-monkey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bad-monkey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get a good rear sway.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Which kind of sway is recommended?
Old 01-24-2005, 03:25 PM

untrue...a front tower bar will really lock things down...i can feel teh difference when im driving with and with out one, but mind you thats when i run stock wheels...so the old 14's...with my 18's the diffference is less noticeable, and yes i do have other suspension mods...

teh best thing is sway bars...those are the best, but remember your lateral grip is going to be limited by how sticky your tires are, and also remember that stock suspensions and sticky tires put cars on their lids
Old 01-24-2005, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SiB16a)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiB16a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Which kind of sway is recommended? </TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm running a progress 27mm 5 way adj. rear sway. It works well. The suspension techniques bars are good units too.

Old 01-24-2005, 04:32 PM

Hey, I like my Sp00n b8rZ! But I must agree, they do very little. The rear upper seemed to do a little bit, and the front under body brace did do something, that's about the only one I'd recommend (front lower). Get the rear sway bar if you want rotation and a bit of twitchiness, if you want grip get the ST or Neuspeed set.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TimeRacer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TimeRacer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey, I like my Sp00n b8rZ! But I must agree, they do very little. The rear upper seemed to do a little bit, and the front under body brace did do something, that's about the only one I'd recommend (front lower). Get the rear sway bar if you want rotation and a bit of twitchiness, if you want grip get the ST or Neuspeed set. </TD></TR></TABLE>

as i was skidding around willow springs the other day, i was wondering if the spoon rear bar that i ordered (mostly because i was compelled to) would help.

in a cageless car under extreme conditions, they might do something. however i have never ever ever been under what i consider to be "extreme conditions" while on the street. even A/X doesn't always produce the kind of forces a road course might, the kind of forces that could cause chassis deflection...

Old 01-24-2005, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (street_ruler)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by street_ruler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

teh best thing is sway bars...those are the best, but remember your lateral grip is going to be limited by how sticky your tires are, and also remember that stock suspensions and sticky tires put cars on their lids</TD></TR></TABLE>

what does this mean..sorry im a noob when it comes to suspension
Old 01-24-2005, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TimeRacer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TimeRacer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Get the rear sway bar if you want rotation and a bit of twitchiness, if you want grip get the ST or Neuspeed set. </TD></TR></TABLE>

and what does this mean? thanks
Old 01-24-2005, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiB16a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and what does this mean? thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

timeracer means that the very large progress bar can be a little much for people who arne't looking for lots and lots of rear sway bar.

since sway bars effectively reduce the grip on the ends that they are placed, a big rear sway bar will reduce overall grip (Grip for Front and Rear), but make the car handle more "neutral" (instead of understeer/oversteer) since our FWD cars are nose heavy and like to understeer. The S/T bars are not as thick as the progress, therefore they are not as stiff, and in the end do not reduce overall grip as much the progress. the car will also "twitch" more because the rear suspension has lost a measure of independence b/c of the big sway bar binding the two sides of the suspension together.

it's pretty complicated, with all of the moving parts, and because of the complexity of vehicle dynamics in general. in short, The progress on the softest setting should be good for most drivers, and probably about as stiff as the S/T, but it costs more.

you don't need an aftermarket front sway, since the stock front sway is fine.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

neuspeed or st sways are good, progress is good too
Old 01-24-2005, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bad monkey...i am evenually going to get rear sway, but do i have to worry about this? https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=831097 this set up is going to be <U>mostly</U> daily driving.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

subframe issues usually occur when the rear sway is too stiff and the springs are too soft. This puts extra stress on the mounting points and the endlinks because the swaybar is pretty much doing more work. Increasing the roll resistance of the car by having stiffer springs will pretty much prevent that kind of damage from happening, but if this is on a stock spring/shock setup, that very well could happen.

I was on a stock suspension with the progress rear bar for about 6-8 months. I was auto-x'ing fairly regularly, and i never had a problem with my subframe being damaged, but every car is different, so you shouldn't think of my example as the "rule." however, thinking about the design of the prelude's sway bar, and where it mounts to the car (using it's own brackets bolted to a horizontal beam in the chassis) in my mind there's probably less chance of that happening on a prelude, than say an integra or civic. you might however, mangle the stock endlinks.

endlinks are a somewhat touchy issue too, since the stock endlinks get bent by an aftermarket sway bar alot of the time, but the aftermarket endlinks like the ones from progress are kind of noisy. that said, i'm using stock endlinks, and they're still ok from what i can tell (no noticeable bends, but i could be wrong).
Old 01-25-2005, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What do you guys think about a c-pillar bar?

http://www.emracing.com/products.html

Will it make a diff or is it just rice?
Old 01-25-2005, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (somboa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by somboa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What do you guys think about a c-pillar bar?

http://www.emracing.com/products.html

Will it make a diff or is it just rice?</TD></TR></TABLE>

IMO, C-pillar bar is for hatchbacks like Integras and Civic hatches. Notchback like the Prelude doesn't need one, we have the rear deck.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vwong)

Ahh... cool. Thanks for the info. Gonna save my money then...
Old 01-25-2005, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vwong)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vwong &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

IMO, C-pillar bar is for hatchbacks like Integras and Civic hatches. Notchback like the Prelude doesn't need one, we have the rear deck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I have one of those C-pillar bars, but I cut out my rear shelf, so I needed it. Their bars are great quality, though....
Old 01-25-2005, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bad-monkey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">subframe issues usually occur when the rear sway is too stiff and the springs are too soft. This puts extra stress on the mounting points and the endlinks because the swaybar is pretty much doing more work. Increasing the roll resistance of the car by having stiffer springs will pretty much prevent that kind of damage from happening, but if this is on a stock spring/shock setup, that very well could happen.

I was on a stock suspension with the progress rear bar for about 6-8 months. I was auto-x'ing fairly regularly, and i never had a problem with my subframe being damaged, but every car is different, so you shouldn't think of my example as the "rule." however, thinking about the design of the prelude's sway bar, and where it mounts to the car (using it's own brackets bolted to a horizontal beam in the chassis) in my mind there's probably less chance of that happening on a prelude, than say an integra or civic. you might however, mangle the stock endlinks.

endlinks are a somewhat touchy issue too, since the stock endlinks get bent by an aftermarket sway bar alot of the time, but the aftermarket endlinks like the ones from progress are kind of noisy. that said, i'm using stock endlinks, and they're still ok from what i can tell (no noticeable bends, but i could be wrong). </TD></TR></TABLE>

so if you were my shoes what you you prefer me to get? I was thinking about kyb agx's with sportlines or gc sleeves. i choose sportline because its lower then pro kit and i prefer it a little lower then usual. i dont want to get too soft of springs as someone stated above and have it have more stress on the sway, so what is recommended, since you know what your talkin about bad monkey
Old 01-25-2005, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiB16a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so if you were my shoes what you you prefer me to get? I was thinking about kyb agx's with sportlines or gc sleeves. i choose sportline because its lower then pro kit and i prefer it a little lower then usual. i dont want to get too soft of springs as someone stated above and have it have more stress on the sway, so what is recommended, since you know what your talkin about bad monkey</TD></TR></TABLE>

i would probably get the suspension techniques bar, since it's a little softer than the progress but still does what it's supposed to do. if you can get just the rear ST bar, go for it, but i think they're only sold in pairs (F & R). I don't think street driving will produce the kinds of forces that can tear apart a subframe, so i think you'll be fine.

Old 01-25-2005, 02:52 PM

I have an old unanswered question there You people seem knowledgeable.
So, I want to put those nice aftermarket sway bars, my Lude is a 4WS, anyone know if my sway bar mounts are specific ? And are aftermarket sway bars compatible ?
Old 01-25-2005, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jesus_FR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jesus_FR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have an old unanswered question there You people seem knowledgeable.
So, I want to put those nice aftermarket sway bars, my Lude is a 4WS, anyone know if my sway bar mounts are specific ? And are aftermarket sway bars compatible ?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not 100% sure, but take a look at this sway bar for a 4th gen Si. If yours is the same, then it'll fit.

OEM is on the left

Old 01-25-2005, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bad-monkey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i would probably get the suspension techniques bar, since it's a little softer than the progress but still does what it's supposed to do. if you can get just the rear ST bar, go for it, but i think they're only sold in pairs (F & R). I don't think street driving will produce the kinds of forces that can tear apart a subframe, so i think you'll be fine.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

where can i find a ST sway bar. if you don't mind me asking. It will be mostly street driving, but once in a while ill take sharp turns and corners will this be safe? and what struts and springs/coilover sleeves work best with ST sway bar. thanks for replys bad monkey