Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

F23A into 4th gen Prelude, anyone have experience with this?

Old 01-24-2008, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F23A into 4th gen Prelude, anyone have experience with this?

Hi, as the title states, I'm wondering if anyone has yet to put the F23a motor from I believe 2000 accord into their 4th gen? Its also using the p2a8 transmission which from what i read is also from the 2000 accord. Buddy of mine picked this motor up because its built and he saw it as a good deal. I'm pretty sure he did no research as to whether or not it would fit or whats needed to get it in the chassis. The mounts being used currently are from Innovative Mounts and i believe they are just the stock replacements for the chassis.
The car was brought to me with the passenger side mount completely on the trans and chassis fine, and the driver side mount modded to fit the f23 engine bracket and bolted up, but not quite aligned in the chassis mounting location, with the bolt on partially in. The rear mount was not attached and it looked like the engine was sitting at an angle, so the rear mount would not line up for installation. He also gave me 2 of the rear transmission brackets, one from the old H and one from the F i believe.
Playing around with it, I'm able to get the rear mount bolted up, and the passenger side mount pretty close, but the driver side mount is off about an about an inch or so.
My question is, has anyone done this swap successfully? If so what mounts did you use, or did you have to purchase/make custom mounts. I was under the assumption that all F's and H's used the same mounts but apparently this is untrue.
. Any necessary fabrication is not a problem, just want to make sure that there isnt a more straightforward alternative. Any advice or ideas are more than welcome
Old 01-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: F23A into 4th gen Prelude, anyone have experience with this? (90LSpimpin)

The Prelude mounts should work fine in the Prelude chassis with either an H or an F block... And those Innovative mounts are pretty stiff compared to stock. With mine I did have to use a prybar to move the engine a bit to get each mount to bolt up.

Are you torquing each mount down one at a time? It helps a lot to just start each bolt on each mount before you ever tighten anything down.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: F23A into 4th gen Prelude, anyone have experience with this? (Hawkze_2.3)

Thats not the issue, its off about 4 inches. All mounts are loose, we have done a few engine swaps.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: F23A into 4th gen Prelude, anyone have experience with this? (90LSpimpin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90LSpimpin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thats not the issue, its off about 4 inches. All mounts are loose, we have done a few engine swaps. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh, I thought you said it was off by 1 inch... Sounds like you guys know what you're doing.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: F23A into 4th gen Prelude, anyone have experience with this? (Hawkze_2.3)

Old 01-24-2008, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hawkze_2.3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Oh, I thought you said it was off by 1 inch... Sounds like you guys know what you're doing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Its off more then normal lets just say, right now the bracket or engine mount would have to be modified a bit.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: F23A into 4th gen Prelude, anyone have experience with this? (RCautoworks)

ttt
Old 01-25-2008, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90LSpimpin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the driver side mount is off about an about an inch or so.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is a description of a f23 block in a 4th gen prelude:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1046336

Basically, if you use a F22A1 accord drivers side mount or modify a 4th gen prelude mount it should fit.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: F23A into 4th gen Prelude, anyone have experience with this? (flyrod)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flyrod &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This is a description of a f23 block in a 4th gen prelude:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1046336

Basically, if you use a F22A1 accord drivers side mount or modify a 4th gen prelude mount it should fit.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Looks like you guys had fun with that lol.
Thanks for the help! I have the bracket on order and should hopefully be able to proceed with this project
Old 01-25-2008, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Another question, not sure if you know off hand. Can the spark plug tubes be replaced, or rather, Should they be removeable? I ask because its impossible to get a spark plug, down into there. The owner of the car had removed one of the tubes, i'm not sure if whoever built the motor originally possibly installed them upside down or not, but theres no getting a socket in there. Looked on HondaAutomotiveparts.com , doesnt show as a part that i can order so has me kind of stumped. Havent dealt much with the F-series so forgive me if I come off at all noobish lol. Thanks!