Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

F22b2 block+H22a1 head, F22 VTEC, F22B/VTEC

Old 02-25-2004, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (fastludeh22)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fastludeh22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">here is comparison pics...(used 2 of yours hope u dont mind)

h23: not f23 on tom

h22:

f22:

</TD></TR></TABLE>

the pics above give you a clear view of what we are working with, and as far as the head gaskets go , i will have to measure it and see what happens, im runnign around like crazy , when i get some time later today ill post up more info about the water pump modifications, and the water pipe

Modified by prelittlelude at 6:01 PM 2/25/2004
Old 02-25-2004, 07:31 AM
CD8
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (prelittlelude)

im just replying to this so its in my watched topics...

i have a f22b1 sitting in storage from my tank and a spare h22a head too... hmm
Old 02-25-2004, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

on me, im a retart, the pic on the previous page is a pic of the h23, not f23 , sorry i was trying to compare the h and f block. im assuming the f23 will be very simmalair to the f22, sorry about that
Old 02-25-2004, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are there any sensors or electronics on the H22 block that aren't on the F22 block that may cause problems when using the H22 ECU?
Old 02-25-2004, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (drumking15)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drumking15 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ya but h23 heads flow crap....and wouldnt have the fun of vtec and boost </TD></TR></TABLE>

H23 heads don't flow as bad as you think, and they can be made to flow as much as H22 heads.

Did I hear this right....I can slap an H23 head on an F22 block and it should work?!

Looks like that spare H23 head I had is going to be put to some good use!
Old 02-25-2004, 09:42 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prjct94accord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are there any sensors or electronics on the H22 block that aren't on the F22 block that may cause problems when using the H22 ECU?</TD></TR></TABLE>

we havent gotten to that point as of yet...we're still piecing the motor together...he's got an ems to run it off of and hopefully we're gonna throw the stock lude ecu in there and run that and see how it idles and looks for a/r and egt and go from there....maybe just a slight tune w/ a eprom chip or something to correct the fuel a tad will make this possible and also a cost effective solution to a standalone :thumpup:

the waterpump solution...cause i know tom doesnt have all the time in the world at work to do this cough cough

take a pulley puller....

place the center punch on the main cneter piece and slowly pull the outside t-belt gear off the water pump....do the same for both of you pumps...being the h22/f22 you can use a shitty h22 waterpump so they are very easy to come by cause all you using is the gear...not the bearings and such...so just make sure you have a good f22 water pump and youll be set...

once off the pump then use a vice/press to push the pulley onto the new waterpump etc....you get the point its not rocket science

waiting for tom to chime in on his water pipe solution, all i remember is it involves a coupling of parts from either the h22/f22 or h23/f22 i forget the matching
sequence...but tom knows

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LudeyKrus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">H23 heads don't flow as bad as you think, and they can be made to flow as much as H22 heads.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats just me and my lack of knowledge in H series
Old 02-25-2004, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drumking15 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the waterpump solution...cause i know tom doesnt have all the time in the world at work to do this cough cough

waiting for tom to chime in on his water pipe solution, all i remember is it involves a coupling of parts from either the h22/f22 or h23/f22 i forget the matching
sequence...but tom knows
</TD></TR></TABLE>

ugh.. work is soooo ******* busy , damn mydoom and netsky virus..

but yeah when it came to the water pump i thought that the h22 pump would just bolt up, boy was i wrong.

now the problem, seeing as how the f22 uses a different timing belt gear spacing i couldn't use the water pump off of the f22b2 ihad. the part number for the belt was 112RU24 where 112 is the number of teeth and RU is the teeth spacing type and 24 is the width. the h22 belt number is 155YU24, the prelude h22a1 engine uses the "YU" belt spacing. so you have to use the "YU" spacing becassue of the lower timing gear from the h22, so i was stuck. i needed a water pump that had close to the same amount of gears as the h22 but was the style that bolted to the f block and had the "YU" spacing. come to find out all f series blocks use the RU spacing.

so then i got the idea of taking the water pump apart to see if i could get the pully off and possible switch them. so after beating the snot out of a b series water pump, i found out the pullys are just pressed on.

so i broke out my pully puller, puller the gear off of the trashed h22 pump i had, took the good f22b2 pump i had, pulled that gear off, then put the f22b2 pump section and the h22 pulley in the vice, with some good spacers, and pressed it on, vwala instant h22/f22 hybrid water pump that bolted up like stock. ... well it is stock, just changed the gear

as for the water pipe, ill get to it later

elkectronics, the f22 lacks a knock sensor, but im runing an ems, so don't care, you could drill and tap for a knock sensor, i think the b series guys do this for something

edit : once i get the pics up, i can see how many teeth were on the f22 water pump, and becasue the h23 uses the "RU" type spacing and so does the f22, it might make things even easyier for those of you that may try it, so you may not even have to change anything with the water pump. but for the h22 you need to

Modified by prelittlelude at 6:03 PM 2/25/2004
Old 02-25-2004, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prelittlelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> on me, im a retart, the pic on the previous page is a pic of the h23, not f23 , sorry i was trying to compare the h and f block. im assuming the f23 will be very simmalair to the f22, sorry about that</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok i was thinking that, but the fact that F was used several times, and i havent seen a f23 i was just hoping.....im going to edit my previous posts
Old 02-25-2004, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the f23 has a bigger bore and bigger stroke, it has the 86mm bore and a 97mm stroke. it has 55mm crank journals just like the 98+ h22a4, and they come in the 98-02 accords.

also the other cool thing that i was able to do is use the oil cooler/heater that comes on the h22, (its that big metal thing your oil filter mates up to on the h22a1 for those of you that didn't know)

and i ran into the other problem of the water pipe, originally i was going to use the h22 one, but turns out that the f series blocks have a smaller water outlet on the block where the water pump is,

so pretty much i was digging thru some parts i have, and i came up with a combo where i am going to use part of the f22 water pipe joined up with part of the h23 water pipe. see the h23 water pipe have the same size end on it that goes into the head of the h23 as the size of the end that goes into the f22 block and head. so the h22 has the larger size on both the block and head, i needed a pipe that would bend in all the right direction and go from the f smaller size to the h22 head bigger size. what i came up with which isn't final yet is using the ower part of the f22 water pipe joined up with some rubber tubing to the lower part of the h23 water pipe. and the lower part of the h23 water pipe will go into the h22 head.

i know that all sounds confusing, and having pictures will be much much easyier to explain, im going to see my GF tonight, so i should have the pics up sometime tommorow

Modified by prelittlelude at 6:41 PM 2/25/2004
Old 02-26-2004, 06:47 PM

finally some pics of Tom's Project

more on pg 3 too!!!
oil cooler

whole engine

oil drain

oil drain 2

oil drain 2 plugged

custom plug action

Modified by drumking15 at 11:40 PM 2/26/2004
Old 02-26-2004, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

EDIT: i took the big pics down, all the links are still there, i don't know how to make thumb nails, and big pics are killing the server

on the previous page you can see the oil cooler setup, where it screws in the block, i just took the plug that was in the f22 block out, and then screwed in the nipple from my h22 block, and then hooked up the line

heres how i did the first custom plug, just bought a 3/4 inch bolt nd used a grinder to make a spot for the oring to sit, i decided to go the plug method after i realized that i would never find a tap for a 20mm hole, or a 18mm hole which the 2 oil drains that needed to be pluged are. still need to finish making the plug for the 18 mm hole, just need to grind it and press it in
http://the.ne.client2.attbi.com/userT/plug.jpg

here is the old h22 water pump bearing body, and the pully from the f22 pump and the pully puller i used.. if you look at the pics its just a pressed on pully to a shaft
http://the.ne.client2.attbi.co...1.jpg
http://the.ne.client2.attbi.co...2.jpg

and here is the f22 pump body with the P13 h22 pull pressed on (used a vice and wood and a socket) seriously it says p13 , ****** pics
http://the.ne.client2.attbi.co...3.jpg

here is the motor with most of the timing belt assembly on it, note lower h22 timing gear already instaled
http://the.ne.client2.attbi.com/userT/motor1.jpg

then a shot of hopefully you can make that out , it says F22B2,
http://the.ne.client2.attbi.com/userT/motor2.jpg
then a zoomed out shot
http://h00045a28953c.ne.client2.attbi.com/tom2.jpg

and then here is the reason you have to change the belt in the first place h22 belt on the left, and f22 on the right
http://the.ne.client2.attbi.com/userT/belt.jpg

here is a good example of why the oil drains need to be pluged, no gasket material anywhere near by
http://the.ne.client2.attbi.com/userT/oil.jpg

and then here is the motor freshly deck 35 thousanths, with my AEBS head studs, awaiting a head gasket.
http://the.ne.client2.attbi.com/userT/ready.jpg

well i have more pics, if you guys are interested let me know, or if you have any specific questions, i can clarify

Modified by prelittlelude at 9:09 PM 3/8/2004
Old 02-26-2004, 07:49 PM
99spanishGT

nice pics!
Old 02-26-2004, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is the oil cooler an aftermarket setup or did it come on one of the motors?
Old 02-26-2004, 08:48 PM

are you going to a complete write-up?
Old 02-27-2004, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (prjct94accord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prjct94accord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is the oil cooler an aftermarket setup or did it come on one of the motors?</TD></TR></TABLE>

they come on both the h23 and h22 stock, the f22 didn't have it , so i i wanted one, so i moved it over, <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by noble4ws &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you going to a complete write-up?</TD></TR></TABLE>

im not sure if i will do a complete write up, i mean as i go thru i have been posting alot of the important information. there doesn't seem to be that great of an interest, so im not sure if i will do a step by step write up, but most of the info is already here, and the rest is on its way.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nasty Tom, Im excited to see what the hell happend when you start it up. Hopefully it rocks your socks off. Ill call you the magician. But yea, thats real informative. Good Job.
Old 02-27-2004, 06:05 AM

Default Re: (prjct94accord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prjct94accord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is the oil cooler an aftermarket setup or did it come on one of the motors?</TD></TR></TABLE>
tom mentioned they come on h series...but you can find them off itr's and b-series too

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prelittlelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
im not sure if i will do a complete write up, i mean as i go thru i have been posting alot of the important information. there doesn't seem to be that great of an interest, so im not sure if i will do a step by step write up, but most of the info is already here, and the rest is on its way. </TD></TR></TABLE>

if he doesn't ill do one for him for the sake of everyone who would be interested in this
tom is just as lazy as me when it comes to posting...we'd rather be pullin apart things figuring them out
Old 02-28-2004, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i just got the head gasket in, and everything lines up pretty well, except i want to enlarge some of the collant holes with a friends dremel first, i think the f23 head gasket is going to work nicely

the other thing i discovered today, kind of by accident was the fact that i have 2 posible oil feed holes, see on the h22 and h23 the oil presure sensor is located directly under the oil filter and this is where people ususaly T off ofr turbo , oil press gauge and stock gauge,

but on the f22 its oil hole is tapped above the oil filter almost right where the h22 and h23 knock sensor is. but what i noticed was that where the h22 has its feed below the oil filter on the F block was a plug below the oil filter.

indeed it unscrews, and the assemby from the h22 screws in the hole that was previously pluged. the oil presure swith doesn't screw diretly into the block, it screws into a large plug that has been screwed into large tapped hole in the block.

so on the h22 and h23 it kind of has a plug screwed in with a tapped hole in it where the oil press sensor screws in, so i tool that whole thing out and screwed it into the f22 , so now i can have one dedicated feed for my turbo, and the other 2 for the oil press, some pics of this later, and when reassembly starts
Old 02-29-2004, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

here are thge pics of the oil supply

this is the plug i took out from under the oil fileter/cooler on the f22 block
http://the.ne.client2.attbi.com/userT/oilplug1.jpg

here is the plug/oilfeed hole out of the h22 block compared to F plug
http://the.ne.client2.attbi.com/userT/oilplug2.jpg

here is the stock piece from the h22 installed in the F block
http://the.ne.client2.attbi.com/userT/oilplug3.jpg

pretty sweet if you ask me, now i have to oil supplys, probably make one the stock snesor, and use the other with a T for the tubo and the oil press gauge

Modified by prelittlelude at 9:51 PM 3/8/2004
Old 03-01-2004, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump^

well i got the dremel today, and i have the head gasket in, im just going to use the h22 head gasket as a template and enlarge any coolant holes need be nessasary. i want good flow seeing as how its going to be boosted,
Old 03-01-2004, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

SICK
Old 03-01-2004, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EGPrelude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGPrelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">SICK</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks,, atleast i know someone is reading this ****.. hehe
Old 03-02-2004, 01:18 AM

^^^Holy ****, i actually read everything!!!

this is AMAZING!
Old 03-02-2004, 02:44 AM

This is awesome.. Keep up the good work!! I'll be looking forward to a write if you decide to do one.. make sure you include info on how-to for f23 as well..
Old 03-02-2004, 07:41 AM
99spanishGT

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prelittlelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thanks,, atleast i know someone is reading this ****.. hehe</TD></TR></TABLE> ive been reading this looks very badass!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F22b2 block+H22a1 head, F22 VTEC, F22B/VTEC