Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

F22A4 Turbo Build (for anyone who cares lol)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: F22A4 Turbo Build (for anyone who cares lol)

Originally Posted by md23vtec
Just keep at it. Glad to see you made it out. With 425whp back in 2006 I went 11.37@ 124 full weight over 3000 pound. Honestly its all about making the car work. You "should" be able to get that thing in the low 1.7. high 1.6s on slicks. You're loosing over half a second in the first 60 feet. So practice, practice, practice!!! Imo until you get the car to run at least consistent 12.50s DON'T turn the car up.
Thanks man! I appreciate it, yeah i'm still learning the car man i took it out for the last test and tune at MIR and had a terrible outing. I really need to dial in the car it's a lot more than just throwing bolt ons on a daily driver. I'm just not use to it yet. Looking at the data logs after the 4 passes i've got this year, it's got a low 12 in it...just all up to me learning to drive it. My buddy who's helped me build the motor and has done a lot for me kept wanting to turn it up. But i'm just like i need clean passes and seat time i wanna dial her in before i think about turning it up, there's no point if i can't drive the damn thing. Sucks i only got 4 passes this year but REALLY excited about getting back out there next season, and knowing the time is there it's just on me.

btw i think i lost your number somewhere along the way, i was still interested in that sunroof plug if you still have it available.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:28 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Now that the car is running well, just get lots of seat time with it, before turning it up. The way I have generally gone is to get to the point where I can run back to back passes within a few hundredths consistently i.e. 5-6 or more runs, maybe even on multiple days, before stepping to the next level.

Do you guys have open test-and-tune type night, where you can just go tech and make passes, no worries about classes, times etc? Those are great time to see what works for you in regards to pre-load technique, tire pressure, burnout time, shift points, etc. Plus it is fun to be that random guy in a Prelude going fast, most tracks people get used to seeing Preludes on street tires with a CAI and exhaust running 16+ times haha.

I will admit, that is one nice aspect of how long it has taken me to build funds and get my car done, as I have made the progression from stock H23A1 running high 17's at 6000 FT altitude, and every step I have made seems to be a .5 to 1 sec drop in time, to where I am at now.

Last time I had the car on the track, and ran 13.01, then 12.93, I was still getting a handle on the car with the cams and slicks. It still had more in it, then I killed the head, and rebuilt it even better. Was probably up 20-30 WHP from the last build when I had the cam gear slip and kill it yet again on the dyno. If I get the motivation, I am dropping a stock H22 in for a bit, and finally making the plunge to boost before/ when a built engine goes back in.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by snobordboy
Now that the car is running well, just get lots of seat time with it, before turning it up. The way I have generally gone is to get to the point where I can run back to back passes within a few hundredths consistently i.e. 5-6 or more runs, maybe even on multiple days, before stepping to the next level.

Do you guys have open test-and-tune type night, where you can just go tech and make passes, no worries about classes, times etc? Those are great time to see what works for you in regards to pre-load technique, tire pressure, burnout time, shift points, etc. Plus it is fun to be that random guy in a Prelude going fast, most tracks people get used to seeing Preludes on street tires with a CAI and exhaust running 16+ times haha.

I will admit, that is one nice aspect of how long it has taken me to build funds and get my car done, as I have made the progression from stock H23A1 running high 17's at 6000 FT altitude, and every step I have made seems to be a .5 to 1 sec drop in time, to where I am at now.

Last time I had the car on the track, and ran 13.01, then 12.93, I was still getting a handle on the car with the cams and slicks. It still had more in it, then I killed the head, and rebuilt it even better. Was probably up 20-30 WHP from the last build when I had the cam gear slip and kill it yet again on the dyno. If I get the motivation, I am dropping a stock H22 in for a bit, and finally making the plunge to boost before/ when a built engine goes back in.
Yeah, i need seat time bad...and MIR normally does do open test n tune and i thought that's what that was. But for some reason they had it split into classes like 10.99 faster and 11.00 slower, N/T, and a gamblers race. If i'd known that's how it was gonna be i probably wouldn't went through the trouble to go other than im dying to keep getting behind the wheel. So next year i'll be looking at all the tracks that are locally close to me and start hitting the test n tunes as soon and often as i can.

Again, I don't plan on turning up the car until i can get some clean and consistent passes. To me there's no point. If i can't drive the car as it sits why turn it up?

It's very impressive the leaps you made! Part of me wish i gradually built the car, but when you take the car off the street and make it a full out drag car. It's hard to progressively build it. So learning this thing is an animal i've never driven anything like it or close to it. I appreciate the advice, just like you i think it's just gonna take seat time and plenty of passes and just keep working the time down and hope nothing blows along the way. lol
Old 12-06-2014, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here was the last pass i made that night ran a 14.7 coasting cause i 2-3-2'd the car. Lucky for me i didn't try to ride it out as soon as i knew something wasn't right i kicked it back outta gear (looking at the logs after about less than half a second), I think revs got somewhere in the 9,000 range but motor is still running fine. Thank God for a built head. Just pisses me off You can see i bog the launch again too, again i need seat time to get use to the launch control and stuff.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:06 AM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to be launching much higher as well as a higher rpm burnout. Come out of the hole in the meat of the power band. Right now you aren't using the engine to overcome the weight shift quick enough. Get out of the hole and get goin!
Old 12-07-2014, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98vtec
You need to be launching much higher as well as a higher rpm burnout. Come out of the hole in the meat of the power band. Right now you aren't using the engine to overcome the weight shift quick enough. Get out of the hole and get goin!
Yeah that's another thing im new too, im use to my street/daily cars. Im launching right now i think at 4,000 and burnout is on a 5,000 limiter switch. :\ so that's encouraging to hear that, may be part of my issues with my 60' cause the best i pulled so far in my 4 passes is only a 2.1 and it should be far better.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:52 PM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I launch at 7000-7500 but your powerband will be a bit different with the f22. Let it eat
Old 12-07-2014, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98vtec
I launch at 7000-7500 but your powerband will be a bit different with the f22. Let it eat
Yeah it's making more sense to me to jack it up, i'm sure it will be different than an H. But i think that will be one of the first things i try/change coming out next year.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

finally getting a little bit of a hang of this car. just ran my personal best at capitol the past weekend 12.99 @ 109, still on low boost pump gas. I didnt get to update as quick as i'd like cause right after the event i was on vacation. But i raised the launch and burn out limiter. My 60's are still garbage i think i pulled a 1.9, I'm still trying to figure out how to launch properly, I was just glad to have two good passes hitting all the gears. I'll have pics and vids soon. (my normal comp is down) lol it was definitely nice to walk a 2015 Mustang and a newer BMW though and happy to be in the 12's but can't wait to turn her up and put it on race gas i want 11's and whatever comes next. First i still need practice
Old 04-06-2015, 06:51 AM

Congrats on hitting that milestone of 12's at least, and getting consistent passes is what it is all about at this point. The speed will come.

Once you get your launches dialed in, it is quite the rush to nail the 60 ft time, especially if there is a quick car next to you, and you kill them off the line.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Congrats on hitting that milestone of 12's at least, and getting consistent passes is what it is all about at this point. The speed will come.

Once you get your launches dialed in, it is quite the rush to nail the 60 ft time, especially if there is a quick car next to you, and you kill them off the line.
Thanks dude! yeah, im still not use to using the e-brake quite well most the time i don't really get on the two-step in time.Was thinking of just doing a staging brake seems easier than having to worry about putting the ebrake back down and it being hydraulic rather than cable. Just need to practice practice practice. Hopefully in like a week or two i'll be able to take it back up to MIR on a test and tune and get a bunch more test passes. It's gonna be a lot easier for me this year i finally bought my own trailer before the season started. Also planning on getting the car retuned in a month or so now that i got all my issues worked out that caused us to stop on the dyno last time and get the car on the E85 and turn up the boost!
Old 06-16-2015, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ran a new personal best of 12.4 @ 115mph at Zmax this past weekend. Track temps were like 140 degrees was fighting heating issues all weekend but i managed to rip off a bunch of good passes. Felt good to get more than one or two passes. I'm finally getting use to this thing, i got tenths all over the place but I'm happy to finally hit a low 12. Next is 11's i know she has it in her! Zmax was freaking awesome too! Just wish it wasn't so ******* hot lol

Last edited by BergRacing21; 06-16-2015 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:29 AM

Good job getting her quicker!

Where is Zmax at?

What is your hundredth, and I will update the top times list.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good job getting her quicker!

Where is Zmax at?

What is your hundredth, and I will update the top times list.
Thanks man! Zmax is the track in Charlotte (technically Concord) North Carolina. It's the track that has 4 lanes. They do alot of the NHRA events.... I'm pretty sure it's pretty new, but the facility is huge and everything was nice and the track was prepped real well.

the official time is 12.418 @ 115.07 mph! Pretty amped I'm gonna be on the list!
Old 06-17-2015, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice, gettin' low 12's now, hell yeah man! See you been putting in work as well lol. Watched the vid, car sounds mean!
Old 06-19-2015, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Sparksman
Nice, gettin' low 12's now, hell yeah man! See you been putting in work as well lol. Watched the vid, car sounds mean!
Thanks bro! lol yeah finally getting comfortable with the car...can't wait to get back out there! And yeah i LOVE the sound of the car with the up pipe...it like doesnt even sound like a Honda it's weird.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet build why not go e85 and let her eat?
Old 11-04-2015, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93sleeperaccord
Sweet build why not go e85 and let her eat?
Thanks dude, and thats the plan for the off-season. little update i've had a pretty rough year with the car, Honda Day NC was probably my best outing all year. Seems everytime i get the car ready to go and get it to the track a bunch of gremlins creep up. (Last event ended up busting a fuel fitting getting the car on the trailer, got it fixed. Then was having all sorts of weird issues.)I think i finally tracked down my issues to 1 of 3 things cause the cause is the drop of voltage. So currently putting the car back together with new alternator and battery and see if i cant get the car to a couple more test and tunes before the years over with no issues. My goals for the offseason are to get some actual drag rims which means obviously bigger slicks. I want to get a traction bar, a new wiring harness (1 of the 3 things that could be giving me dumb issues the harness is over 20 years old with over 300,000 miles on it, i think its time for a new one.) and a switch over to E85. Hopefully if all goes as planned i can definitely get this car into the low 11's or possibly 10's. I still need a lot of seat time though and the way the car has been acting she hasn't been my best friend, so we'll see...ive said it once ill say it again this isnt short term for me i really wanna see what this car can do so im in it for the long haul. Just may take me longer than i want but thats okay with me.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What turbo you on again? I know on my build with my 71 with 18psi I'm at 555hp. So give her some more boost and she will be right there at 500 no problem
Old 11-05-2015, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What turbo you on again? I know on my build with my 71 with 18psi I'm at 555hp. So give her some more boost and she will be right there at 500 no problem
Garrett GTX3071R, she should be somewhere in the 450-500 range i haven't got it back on the dyno. But its running at 19 psi right now.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What size is the compressor? Not familiar with garrets
Old 11-14-2015, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What size is the compressor? Not familiar with garrets
its a 54mm if i remember correctly. We didn't really care for size as much as we did mapping out the right turbo, for exactly what i was building and power i was looking to make.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ran another new Personal best at MIR one of their last test and tunes...not much better than before but none the less a little faster. I got so many things to change and figure out this winter, this pass was pretty damn good but i can definitely get that 60' down, im slow between shifts (no-lift shift not working properly) and i ran outta gear at the top end. I love driving this thing though it's been so much fun even with the bad days at the track it was nice to finish the year with my best pass...BUT im not giving up just yet i want 11's and not just 11's but mid-low i know the car can do it...i just need to fix and upgrade somethings and seat time seat time seat time....as always for the few that follow this and keep up with it, thanks for looking! Just can't wait to get this moving faster!
Old 12-09-2015, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice job just getting out there and getting yourself dialed into the car man! I didn't go to the strip for about 8 years and over the past year have had to relearn how to drive there. Went from 15.8's to 15.0's just getting back used to everything with my N/A F23 Accord.

Without going back through the whole thread(sorry berg), what's your chassis/suspension/tire setup? I'd kill for a 1.7-1.8 60FT. As it is now, I'm battling wheelhop issues and cutting 2.1 60's on R1R's with 4000-4500RPM clutch drops and letting it eat. Obviously, I know my tires are the prime suspects as I don't wheelhop on snowtires(lol), but I really want to get it dialed in. 550lb springs at all four corners, stock front crossmember/bars, OEM bushings in the arms, only have mount inserts F/R and ES poly radius rod bushings. Planning a T2W4 and solid mounts at the very least this winter, and going to either a 225/50/15 MT or Hoosier radial.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by chrisnick
Nice job just getting out there and getting yourself dialed into the car man! I didn't go to the strip for about 8 years and over the past year have had to relearn how to drive there. Went from 15.8's to 15.0's just getting back used to everything with my N/A F23 Accord.

Without going back through the whole thread(sorry berg), what's your chassis/suspension/tire setup? I'd kill for a 1.7-1.8 60FT. As it is now, I'm battling wheelhop issues and cutting 2.1 60's on R1R's with 4000-4500RPM clutch drops and letting it eat. Obviously, I know my tires are the prime suspects as I don't wheelhop on snowtires(lol), but I really want to get it dialed in. 550lb springs at all four corners, stock front crossmember/bars, OEM bushings in the arms, only have mount inserts F/R and ES poly radius rod bushings. Planning a T2W4 and solid mounts at the very least this winter, and going to either a 225/50/15 MT or Hoosier radial.
Lol all good, sorry for the late response I'm running a really simple setup and actually the same setup for like 10 years now. KYB GR2s and skunk2 coil overs. I've redone my wheel bearings and all the other suspension stuff but not like spherical or anything. No upgraded bushings, and I'm running 23.5x9 M&H slicks on a set of stock Acura vigor wheels and Innovative mounts the hardest ones they make. I'm very surprised how well my setup does in the 60' I figure sometime this year I'll get a traction bar and upgrade to bigger slicks and actual drag rims. also just running a stock H23 trans with quaife LSD which i plan on at least upgrading the final drive some time this year. But just this past weekend I ran another personal best at the first event of the year. I cut a 1.74 and ran a 7.6 in the 1/8th which if you do the nhra conversion woulda been my 11 second pass I've been after. I'll post some pics of the slip and a video when I get time to upload it.

Quick Reply: F22A4 Turbo Build (for anyone who cares lol)