Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

exhaust flow questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust flow questions

ive been reading and searchen alot about exhaust for my 96 si and ive come over a few questions. Ive found that the world sport 2 seems to have the sound im after but its muffler is chambered to create that quiet deep sound so it cuts down on the flow. I was wonderen how much it cuts the flow in comparison to just the stock exhaust and muffler or other more free flowen mufflers. Ive also read of people getting more free flowing mufflers ( like a magnaflow etc..) and using some big *** resanators to cut the loud noise they create, but wouldnt the resanators also be cutting the flow? Also, i wonder about the world sport universal muffler that ive come accross, is it the same muffler off the catback or is it different . any wisdom or insight would be helpful thnxs
Old 09-12-2006, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

to be honest, it's really not gonna matter all that much unless you are pushing a lot of horses and the flow is restricting.....pick your sound/style/price and don't worry about the rest.......the thing to be picky on is the header....custom is the only way to go there(rmf, smsp, etc)
Old 09-12-2006, 10:32 PM

Default Re: (Silver Surfer)

like said above, replacing your exhaust alone is not gonig to do much, once you have a quality header and cams, then things like 2.25inch vs. 2.5inch piping, chambered muffler vs. straight through muffler, crush vs. mandrel bent, stock vs. high flow vs. gutted CAT are going to matter, of course though you want to do things right

if you will be staying NA, cheapest/best sounding/best performance would probably be a kteller 2.5inch mandrel bent exhaust w/ magnaflow muffler, this will be good for 97% of NA motors, you may want a resonator as well depending on how the sound comes out, search around, i think there is a prelude exhaust sound clip thread somewhere

if you are gonna boost, then NO CAT, 3inch mandrel bent piping, and a straight through muffler are pretty much all required, luckily too, the turbo quiets things down pretty well so loudness shouldnt be too much of an issue
Old 09-14-2006, 05:53 PM

thnx for all the help. another question. i went on magnaflow.com or w/e to check some prices and i believe i couldnt find any universal mufflers with 2.5inch inlet to fit the 2.5 inch piping that was suggested. am i mistaken or do u half to use a one of their mufflers with a 3inch inlet and let a muffler shop widen your pipe a half inch to fit the muffler.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ingyplz)

The best thing to do if going magnaflow is just go to a local shop whom carries magnaflow and flowmaster exhausts as there are plenty, and they'll hook it up and should be able to answer most of your questions. All the shops I have dealt with carrying their product were very informative.

Does anyone know if cutting and rewelding the pipe too much makes the exhaust very raspy?