Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Euro r H22A with PCD install

Old 06-17-2013, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Euro r H22A with PCD install

Well my egr is somewhat new I would say it was replaced 2 years ago. And I am not going to pull my intake manifold even though if I had the time to do it I would just so I know its spotless. For now the best I can do is clean the egr, egr ports and run the Mopar combustion chamber cleaner through and hope that it cleans my intake manifold well.

I have been trying to find out if I should run the euro-r egr valve instead of the a4 one that's on my engine now. I would like to, but I only want to do it if its really gonna help the hesitation go away.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

New update I ran the mopar combustion cleaner through my car as directed and drove the car car to my girlfriends work (about 20 mins away from my house). The car started really driving rough and hesitating on the way there and finally threw a CEL code I had to pull over and check everything out. The weird thing is before the check engine light came on I tried to engage it into vtec and it didn't happen just went through the rpm's. I then decided to change out the ecu for the other euro-r ecu I have, and it drove fine the rest of the way home.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:12 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If they're the same ecu you should open up the ecu and see if there's anything burned inside.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I did that and the ecu was in great condition there wasn't anything burnt or a bad smell in it. The check engine light was for the EGR again so I am thinking about buying the euro-r one and installing praying it will fix my issue, because I can guarantee that's my entire problem.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:09 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

yeah, just keep at it, you'll get it, hope that's the root issue
Old 06-19-2013, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I will try my best to fix this issue, but I think my only option is to upgrade to the euro egr setup and clean the ports to hopefully resolve this issue.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

homesnmanny you were right my check engine light came on today for the EGR, exact code is p1491 egr solenoid insufficient lift, and the car drove smoother atleast for a few minutes until I pulled over and erased the code with my scanner.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:38 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

awesome dude...so assuming you're confident you got the wiring right, I would clean out the egr system completely now
Old 06-21-2013, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well the wiring is right because I havent changed anything over to the euro-r egr setup. I am still using my a4 egr system/wiring. In all honesty I am going to clean the egr system completely, and just hope it fixes this hesitation problem, its really starting to get annoying to me now.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well had one of the roughest days in awhile working on my car attempting to clean the EGR ports on my manifold. I was taking off my injectors so I could get a good working area on the first and second port plug on the manifold, come to find my injectors tips were cracked in half. All of them had the plastic tips broken off due to me improperly tightening them down on the fuel rail adapter. Had to order another set so I am going to be super careful about how I tighten them down this time.

I then proceed to drill and tap the first egr port plug, only to find out they aren't like the normal usdm h22 egr plugs, the euro-r's are longer and for some reason I don't think they are meant to ever be tampered with or removed. I tried the slide hammer trick and nothing,so I just drilled out the plug and pressed in the new one the best I could. Remnants of the old plug are still there, but we will see when I put everything back together if I have a vacuum leak or not. I am praying this works if not then a new solution will have to be thought of.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:03 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

You may just need to swap a usdm p13 bottom intake manifold in there. All usdm preludes use the same bottom intake manifold

This assumes of course it will mate up with the upper plenum and the fuel rail etc etc
Old 06-28-2013, 12:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Swap in a p13 bottom intake manifold? I have a full h22a euro-r manifold and euro-r engine swap why I would put on a usdm intake?
Old 06-28-2013, 02:13 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Just the bottom...and this assumes you can't get the ports to seal.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I think I will be fine when I go to test out my fix on the EGR port plug. Just seems odd to me that Honda would even put plugs on the euro-r or that not one single person has attempted to do what I did and pull the plug out. Or they are just smarter then me and took off the big egr cover plate on our manifolds and cleaned everything that way, which I have done twice now. I have learned my lesson if I dont know enough about the fix or cleaning I want to do I am not doing it. It definitely wasn't worth all the time and effort I put in it yesterday, really wished I left this one alone.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:47 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

The jdm p13's have welded ports. You can't clean them out. The USDM's have the plugs. I'm curious what that one looks like ? Can you post a pic ?
Old 06-29-2013, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol this info would have been so much more helpful two days ago when I decided to drill the plug out and see what happens. Yes I will post a pic of what they look like, to me they don't appear to be welded they just look very well pressed into the euro-r manifold.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is the picture I told you I would post up. Sorry this is when I had already drilled through the plug, but you can still see the walls of the plug. And how similar they look to the p13 plugs, they are identical except that the euro-r's are longer.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:02 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Those look like usdm models. It seems the same dude. Did you pull the plugs or try to drill them out ? You should be using a slide hammer with a screw. You put the screw in the end of the slide hammer and lock it and thread it into the slightly smaller hold you drilled into the plugs and then just pop out the plugs. I'm pretty sure it's going to be the same plugs.

Maybe you just drilled them out without pulling the plugs ?

I'm not completely sure from that picture. It does look like they are the usdm type.

That smaller hole inside is designed that way. There is carbon buildup in the hole and down into the runners. Just use carb cleaner and spray the **** out of it along with compressed air. Use some type of rag to cover the intake holes on the head so you don't blow crud or carb cleaner into it 'cause I remember you saying you don't want to pull the entire intake like you should.

Last edited by holmesnmanny; 06-30-2013 at 02:31 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:37 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Oh, and take that rag out of the egr valve port and clean that too at the same exact time. There's no point cleaning the egr ports if the egr valve port itself is clogged. The rectangular hole goes to the bottom of that hole your drilled.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes I used the slide hammer trick twice and the damn plug wouldn't come out of the hole it was in. And the plugs on my euro-r are not the same as the usdm they are longer in length and seem to be irremovable. I did just drill as much as I could out of this plug and put the new one in over the existing one. It slid in very easily without much force from a punch and hammer, so that kinda worries me. I would have no issue with taking off the manifold but at this point where in the heck would I find a euro-r intake gasket to replace the old one? I thought Honda didn't sell or make them anymore?
Old 06-30-2013, 10:11 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Ok here's the deal. You need to drill just small enough to be able to fit the slide hammer plug in. If you drill too small of a hole, when you thread the slide hammer screw in, it will bulge out the sides of the plug and perhaps not allow it to come out. The key is to find a drill bit close enough to the slide hammer but smaller. This should be really easy. If it's not then try perhaps another slide hammer screw/drill bit combination.

I really don't know anything about the euro r IM being any different. If it is, then you should figure out if you can find someone that carries it. If not, then I would pray yours doesn't tear when you pull it off. Sometimes you can get lucky and it doesn't but it's rare.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
Ok here's the deal. You need to drill just small enough to be able to fit the slide hammer plug in. If you drill too small of a hole, when you thread the slide hammer screw in, it will bulge out the sides of the plug and perhaps not allow it to come out. The key is to find a drill bit close enough to the slide hammer but smaller. This should be really easy. If it's not then try perhaps another slide hammer screw/drill bit combination.

I really don't know anything about the euro r IM being any different. If it is, then you should figure out if you can find someone that carries it. If not, then I would pray yours doesn't tear when you pull it off. Sometimes you can get lucky and it doesn't but it's rare.
I tried the slide hammer with all the goodies from this thread :http://www.preludepower.com/forums/s...d.php?t=275440
I had the same slide hammer and parts to pull the plug out and no go the first time with the smaller thread tap, the damn thing snapped in half in the egr plug. So I then went back to the store and bought a bigger drill bit and tap set and with that setup if worked fine but I was pulling so hard that the threads stripped and the slide hammer would no longer be able to work after. I gave up and drilled it out with about the same size drill bit as the egr plug and just put in the new over the pre-existing plug. I have no idea if this will work or not I will find out tomorrow when I put in the 2nd set of euro-r injectors and fire up the car.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Emailed Shawn from Rosko's Racing about my issue and this is what he had to say thank god because he saved my ***. And I am stoked that I didn't mess up anything on my intake manifold. Thanks a million Shawn!
"Hmm there are no egr plugs on a Euro-R manifold. I cant really tell from the picture but if you are trying to drill into that feature in the center of the pic that is a locating hole for the casting. Usually on a manifold casting like this there is a round hole like that and a slotted hole, when they go to machine these after casting these features are what their fixturing locates on. It may look like a plug the way it is cast but thats solid aluminum. You could blow a hole all the way through that and not hurt anything."

Last edited by thirsk66; 07-08-2013 at 12:39 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:05 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

lol strange...it sure as hell looks like a plug, even with the location it's in the same location as would be if it was a plug
Old 07-02-2013, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thirsk66
Thank you a million times over for fixing my jumper harness you are the man. Also I will be adding that I will be now getting a new clutch and lightweight flywheel because of your recommendation and see how well it performs. Looking forward to having my car run well on the factory ecu.
How u get bogging to stop I have now codes or check engine light an my car is still bogging.g

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Euro r H22A with PCD install