Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

NEEDS HELP! Harmonic Balancer replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2023, 11:48 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEEDS HELP! Harmonic Balancer replacement

I'm trying to replace the harmonic balancer off my prelude since it's wobbling. I grabbed a new (used) one off of another 5th gen prelude but it won't fit nicely on my sprocket like my old one does. I checked the inner diamater of both the harmonic balancers and they are roughly the same (it was hard to measure correctly because of the ridges). Visually I can see the ridges on the old one is more worn out the the new one so maybe thats why? Should I just impact gun it in and then torque to spec? Also if I put them next to each other one of them has 2 holes design on it while the other one doesn't have, what is difference? Also you can see the keyway on the old one is the cause of the wobbly pulley

the old one with the messed up keyway

Old 11-28-2023, 12:30 PM
eight equals equals equals D

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Re: NEEDS HELP! Harmonic Balancer replacement

Did you measure your crank snout to see if there's interference? the new one seems to have larger ID so you'd assume it would slip on easier. A lot of crank pulleys are not a slip fit, since they work better when there is less clearance.

The holes in the pulley could be there for balancing the unit.
The following users liked this post:
Old 11-28-2023, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Quick lick with some sandpaper will fix that.
Old 11-28-2023, 02:43 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Tim2179
Did you measure your crank snout to see if there's interference? the new one seems to have larger ID so you'd assume it would slip on easier. A lot of crank pulleys are not a slip fit, since they work better when there is less clearance.

The holes in the pulley could be there for balancing the unit.
Yea there seems to be no interference. How much of a press fit is it? Because my new one could not even sit on the snout properly, is it a good idea to try to torque it down or impact gun it?

I'm also thinking I might have gotten the wrong part but any pulleys from the F or H series should work fine from what I know of. Or worse case the problem is from the snout or the timing gear?
Old 11-28-2023, 02:46 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by RollingRoadEFI
Quick lick with some sandpaper will fix that.
I'll keep this in mind and I'll also try heating it up but for now I'm more curious on why it doesn't fit like my old one does despite having the more or less same inner diameters
Old 11-28-2023, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Machining tolerances. Buying used harmonic balancers is a bad idea anyway. The rubber ring has a limited shelf life.
Old 11-28-2023, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by esse kwa song
Yea there seems to be no interference. How much of a press fit is it? Because my new one could not even sit on the snout properly, is it a good idea to try to torque it down or impact gun it?

I'm also thinking I might have gotten the wrong part but any pulleys from the F or H series should work fine from what I know of. Or worse case the problem is from the snout or the timing gear?
It is not a press fit, and it is not a good idea to try and force it. Get a new one. They're cheap.
Old 11-28-2023, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

The problem is likely the crank snout itself... since your old pulley is all worn and the key slot is damaged, there will be matching damage to the key slot in the crankshaft. The "New-to-You" pulley will fit snugly, but you should not have to force it on if the crankshaft snout is of factory dimensions. Don't hammer it on with the bolt and an impact... you may need it to come back off in the future.
Old 12-03-2023, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That original Harmonic balancing pulley looks bad...the keyway is fooked and the hole is no longer a perfect circle. My first thought was the snout of the crankshaft is bent or warped and the n I read post #8...JRCivic1 shares the same concern that I have in reference to the snout of the crankshaft.