Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

fuel filter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel filter?

question- what would the problem be...?
when i'm driving, the car starts to slow down even if i'm stepping on the gas. then i lay off and step on it a couple times and it starts going again. it doesn't do it all the time but it has been doing it more often lately...
the 3 ppl i asked all said different things. one said fuel filter, one said fuel injector, and one said fuel pump.
i'm replacing the fuel filter tomorrow and i'm hoping that will take care of it, but i would still like some opinions on what else it could be in case the fuel filter doesn't fix it.
thanks for your time-
Old 02-02-2009, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: fuel filter?

Does the car sound any different, like maybe it's bogging down? If so, that in conjunction with your description might indicate a clogged catalytic converter.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Banned

the car doesn't have a catalytic converter though...
it does sound diff but i dont know how to describe the sound. it just slows down like if it's gonna die and the blowing sounds change. kinda sounds like when you run out of gas and the car is about to die but then u step on the gas and it's good again...
Old 02-02-2009, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why are you cat-less?
Old 02-02-2009, 07:37 PM
Banned

i dont know. i've had the car for only 3 months. the guy i bought it from told me it doesnt have one and it didnt matter cuz those cars dont have to do emission tests or whatever. so i just said ok.
i'm guessing maybe not having the cat is what causes that nasty smell.
the car seems to be burning a lot of oil but its an old car so i guess its normal...
Old 02-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Put a cat on it before you kill us all from the pollution. Emissions tests are not vehicle-specific. They are state-specific. What kind of Prelude do you own? Be sure to include year and trim level (and/or engine).
Old 02-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Banned

1991 Si - i cant afford to buy a cat or pay to put it on so i guess i'll polute a little longer
Old 02-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Seriously man, $50 for the cat, another $20 for the welding.

Anyway, it could very well be fuel-related, which is likely. However, it could be the OTHER ingredient required for combustion. That's right, oxygen. A REALLY nasty air filter or dirty TB could possibly cause a similar situation. How many miles are on the car? When was the last time it had some maintenance done, ie timing belt, fuel filter, air filter, etc. Is your Check Engine Light on?
Old 02-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the cat is not causing the issue worry about that later. First off do you have a CEL ? If not the first thing i would do is check all your regular maintenance items, air filter, plugs, wires, cap rotor, etc.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Kronn 98SH
Put a cat on it before you kill us all from the pollution. Emissions tests are not vehicle-specific. They are state-specific. What kind of Prelude do you own? Be sure to include year and trim level (and/or engine).
Its county specific, in Pa atleast.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:50 PM
Banned

woman, not man.
and it's hard to buy stuff for ur car when u work 8 hrs a week at $5.50 an hr + tips. $20 for welding? and installing? not around here.
anyways, the air filter was just replaced. i've done a couple oil changes since i bought it. i'm replacing the fuel filter tomorrow. and i just put in a new radiator cuz some idiots cracked the old one. thats about it.
as i said before, i've only had the car for 3 months and the guy i bought it from didn't tell me much about it besides what was wrong with the car.
the odo says 162k but i dont know how long the speedo has been out for so it has more than that.
the car runs great for its age and mileage. it has a lot of power, it runs strong n steady, the only thing is what its been doing lately. which i'm hoping its the fuel filter.

Seriously man, $50 for the cat, another $20 for the welding.

Anyway, it could very well be fuel-related, which is likely. However, it could be the OTHER ingredient required for combustion. That's right, oxygen. A REALLY nasty air filter or dirty TB could possibly cause a similar situation. How many miles are on the car? When was the last time it had some maintenance done, ie timing belt, fuel filter, air filter, etc. Is your Check Engine Light on?
Old 02-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Banned

yeah, it goes on and off. when i start the car it's usually off, but eventually it goes on.
the guy that sold me the car said that that's cuz of it not having a cat

Originally Posted by lude98SH
the cat is not causing the issue worry about that later. First off do you have a CEL ? If not the first thing i would do is check all your regular maintenance items, air filter, plugs, wires, cap rotor, etc.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Banned

it cant be that bad. i smell it everyday for hours a day and i'm still alive...
Old 02-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lude98SH
that looks oddly familiar to my post directly above yours. :-)

Originally Posted by NineT1Lude
yeah, it goes on and off. when i start the car it's usually off, but eventually it goes on.
the guy that sold me the car said that that's cuz of it not having a cat
You'll definitely throw a code for not having a cat, but that doesn't mean it's the only code your getting. I would run up to AutoWeDontKnowShitZone and get it checked.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:13 AM
Banned

that looks oddly familiar to my post directly above yours. :-)

You'll definitely throw a code for not having a cat, but that doesn't mean it's the only code your getting. I would run up to AutoWeDontKnowShitZone and get it checked.

ah well, i used to work for AutoWeDontKnowShitZone, and the code thing they use only works for cars 97+ and mine is a 91. so i'd have to go to an actual shop and pay $40 just to get codes.
once i replace the cat, will the light go off? if that were the reason why it was on in the first place of course. or does it have to be reset somewhere. kinda trying to figure out if there's another reason(s) why the CEL is on.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by NineT1Lude
once i replace the cat, will the light go off? if that were the reason why it was on in the first place of course. or does it have to be reset somewhere. kinda trying to figure out if there's another reason(s) why the CEL is on.
u do need to reset the ecu...but just take off the ecu fuse...not sure where it is on a 3rd gen tho...might also be the clock/radio fuse like on 4th gens...my 4th gen does the same thing sometimes...u step on the gas and it bogs down...but i'm throwing 6 CELs and dont really care
Old 02-03-2009, 07:57 PM

OMFG this posting is getting rediclious, back in topic.

first off your 91 prelude does NOT have a down stream O2 sensor, therefore the engine will run perfectly fine without a Cat.

1. check your engine codes, this is usually done by jumping a small connector on a harness somewhere on the car (search the forums for the location, i own a 4th gen sry) determine and write all of your trouble codes down.

2. depending on the trouble code (if there is one) check the sensor or output device for correct operation... tps sensor, crank/cam sensor, blah blah blah... if needed replace the part.

3. as mentioned above, do all regular maintenance, spk plugs, PCV, filters

4.check fuel pressure, and regulator operation.

5. remove fuel injectors with rail, and connectors. turn key to "run" position see if all injectors are firing and all have good even pattern.

6.check for clogged intake, sometimes small woodland critters make homes with our intakes.

7.use a spark tester to determine proper spark to each plug.

8.use a vacuum gauge to check proper vacuum and check for vacuum/manifold leaks.

hope this helps to determine the problem, dont just throw parts at it, determine the problem first.