Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

crdcz03's prelude project thread. abs removal/manual rack conversion/wire tucking

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 01:49 PM
Fortune Cookie Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crdcz03's prelude project thread. abs removal/manual rack conversion/wire tucking

UPDATES WITH PICTURES ON PAGES 1 AND 2

i posted this in the appearance forum like a week and half ago and decided that i should post this here too for when i actually have a question about something.

so since it is posted already, ill just quote myself and update it from here as i go

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">first of all, let me say thanks to Justin (jlude90) for the sweet deal on these used parts. he hooked me up big time. i bought a bunch of parts to convert my abs equipped prelude to a non-abs prelude (booster, master cylinder, proportioning valve, and all the hard brake lines). then i figured, since he is parting a prelude out, why dont i just buy the rack in an attempt to fix the play in my steering wheel.

now, going into this project i felt it would be a piece of cake and just be really time consuming... WRONG. this crap is difficult lol. today was the first day on the job and i managed to get the intake manifold off so i could get to the parts (all the hard brake lines are attached to the firewall . then i removed the abs unit, which was a pita. then i started on the brake lines. these things are like a bunch of boy scouts got together with some rope, tangled them all together, then the rope magically turned into brake lines and honda attached them to the car. literally everything has to come off the firewall and the fun doesnt stop there b/c you also have to disconnect the steering column from the rack (which, i will admit, is a lot easier than i made it out to be) but since im putting in a new-used rack it didnt make me too angry. after the front brake lines came out i decided to leave the rears for the next day and instead, removed the master cylinder and booster. the booster bolts are a pita too, especially the bottom right one

and that was where i stopped today. took about 5 hours (i work slow and forget where i put things lol). next time ill prolly remove the rear lines (if i need to, i just realized that i might not have to which would be SWEET) and possibly get the old rack out. i have new inner tie rods, boots, and clamps for the new-used rack so i wont put that in until i have those parts.

now, on with the pics.

here is some old parts and some new parts... and the abs unit from hell that didnt want to come out

heres the new-used rack and the new prop valve --&gt; front right brake tube

the motor, minus a few things

shenanigans hiding under the intake mani

the hoses off the heater core just would not come off!

my mom is not happy that my pos is taking up her garage spot haha

i sprayed my intake mani with wrinkle paint a few months ago btw, dunno if i ever showed it

this is how i left the garage... my dad wont be happy till the mess is gone

ive also been thinking about removing the blower, evap and possibly heater core while the car is in shambles. if i do this i will attempt to put the fuse box in the passenger side dash and hide that ugly harness thats been under the fuse box out of view

next installment of this project will be either tomorrow or the next day. i hope to be finished with everything by christmas (if i include removing the blower and other things i think this is a good time frame). id like to be able to roll it in and out of the garage by next weekend tho or my mom will start nagging

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++

today i only worked on it for about 1.5 hours. i wanted to get the blower and evaporator out so i could get the fuse box and some wire harness in its place. it went pretty smoothly

heres tonights pics:

ill run the vtec wire (red) and the black battery--&gt;starter wire tomorrow in the same manner as the others.

heres the wires that most of you 4th genners have sitting next to your intake

theres a lot of room under the dash without the blower and evaporator

a cabin filter may have prevented this lol

tomorrows project (since i have tuesdays off) is to do some wire extending, which i really dont want to do b/c i have no patience for soldering but it needs to be done so i can get the other end of the harness through the firewall once and for all.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++

today the fuse box got mounted in its new home. its tucked away quite nicely under the dash. once i put the lower dash cover back on this will not be seen at all.

and the brackets that hold it on. the gold part is a clevis from a brake booster and the silver part is the stock bracket that has always held the fuse box. this way i can still unclip the fuse box if need be.

i also managed to get the brake lines connected to the proportioning valve, connected everything back to the firewall, and relocated the injector resistor box.

and this is all the wire lengthening i could stand today. i seriously hate soldering with a passion. it makes me want to throw things. sad part is that i still have quite a few wires left

and there will probably not be an installment for the next few days as i will be quite busy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats it for right now. im probly going to work on the wiring tonight and hope i dont burn myself anymore with the soldering iron. will post pics later tonight if i make any headway

oh and also, does anyone know what i should use to cover this hole that ive opened up now that the blower is gone?

Modified by crdcz03 at 3:58 AM 12/29/2007
Old 12-21-2007, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: crdcz03's prelude project thread. abs removal/manual rack conversion/wire tucking (crdcz03)

Wow good thread and good luck getting it done by Christmas. I gotta get me one of those lights you have they look really good.

Also is this big thing in this picture your ABS rack??
[img]https://www.superhonda.com/photopost/data/506/medium/DSC004742.JPG[img]

I really noticed how horribly ugly that thing is in my engine bay.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep up the good work.

Is that a bunch of leaves and debris I see in the blower?? I am wondering if I clean mine out it will blow harder..
Old 12-21-2007, 03:02 PM
Fortune Cookie Member

Default Re: crdcz03's prelude project thread. abs removal/manual rack conversion/wire tucking (Acidcrakker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Acidcrakker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow good thread and good luck getting it done by Christmas. I gotta get me one of those lights you have they look really good.

Also is this big thing in this picture your ABS rack??
[img]https://www.superhonda.com/photopost/data/506/medium/DSC004742.JPG[img]

I really noticed how horribly ugly that thing is in my engine bay.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah and it weighs a good 20lbs too. of course, its still full of fluid btw, i learned that if you dont relieve the pressure you get a wonderful brake fluid FOAM PARTY!!1 so yeah, any of you who plan to do this... make sure you relieve the pressure the right way or just loosen that bolt real slow lol

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roller3804 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">keep up the good work.
Is that a bunch of leaves and debris I see in the blower?? I am wondering if I clean mine out it will blow harder..
</TD></TR></TABLE>

they are in the evaporator actually... and yeah, it probably will blow harder. i know mine barely blew at all
Old 12-21-2007, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: crdcz03's prelude project thread. abs removal/manual rack conversion/wire tucking (crdcz03)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crdcz03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i learned that if you dont relieve the pressure you get a wonderful brake fluid FOAM PARTY!!1 </TD></TR></TABLE>

I lol'd

You could just get a piece of sheet metal and screw it through the firewall over that hole, cut to fit of course. If you place things correctly, it looks like you'll be able to get that seal to rest against it, which will be perfect.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:47 PM

Default Re: crdcz03's prelude project thread. abs removal/manual rack conversion/wire tucking (mgags7)

just get some cardboard make a layout of the hole and cut some metal then weld or bolt it on there and i know about them heater hose i did a wire tuck on my accord damn those things just do not come off but they will cut off lol and nice thread man
Old 12-21-2007, 06:02 PM
Fortune Cookie Member

Default Re: crdcz03's prelude project thread. abs removal/manual rack conversion/wire tucking (mgags7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mgags7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I lol'd

You could just get a piece of sheet metal and screw it through the firewall over that hole, cut to fit of course. If you place things correctly, it looks like you'll be able to get that seal to rest against it, which will be perfect.</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is something to think about... and to think that i was thinking more along the lines of a duct tape sheet ill have to look into your idea tho

and yes, the foam party was fun... suprising, but still fun

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hamadiscool &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry for such a noob question, but what is the evaporator/blower?
Without those things, would your ac/heater work?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

the blower blows air through your vents, the evaporator is part of the a/c. so, no the a/c and heat will not work without these.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:14 PM

Why are you getting rid of abs and P/S???
Old 12-21-2007, 07:24 PM
Fortune Cookie Member

Default Re: crdcz03's prelude project thread. abs removal/manual rack conversion/wire tucking (Pilotx1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pilotx1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why are you getting rid of abs and P/S???</TD></TR></TABLE>

abs doesnt work and ps has been gone for a while, i just got a new rack b/c mine had play in it
Old 12-21-2007, 08:05 PM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lookin good craig
Old 12-21-2007, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crdcz03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

they are in the evaporator actually... and yeah, it probably will blow harder. i know mine barely blew at all </TD></TR></TABLE>

How hard was it to take the blower and evap out? I think I might do it tomorrow cause im off.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:10 PM
moderator emeritus

Default Re: crdcz03's prelude project thread. abs removal/manual rack conversion/wire tucking (roller3804)

its ok if you like being uncomfortable for extended periods of time
Old 12-21-2007, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: crdcz03's prelude project thread. abs removal/manual rack conversion/wire tucking (98vtec)

Does the windshield become fogged any time in Florida? I can't imagine having a car without blower at least.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:41 PM
moderator emeritus

Default Re: crdcz03's prelude project thread. abs removal/manual rack conversion/wire tucking (pentaq)

rain-x makes anti-fog
Old 12-22-2007, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: crdcz03's prelude project thread. abs removal/manual rack conversion/wire tucking (98vtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its ok if you like being uncomfortable for extended periods of time</TD></TR></TABLE>

Harr harrr harr.

It just depends on where you live and how you use the car. I don't mind the lack of ps anymore, **** I don't even notice it. But when other people drive my car, they come back with sore arms whining freakin nancies.

I do miss a/c on the 95 degree summer days.....which is why I bought a full a/c system to put in
Old 12-22-2007, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice write up. pictues are good also. I hate when people post long how-to's are some other write-up and have blurry crappy photos. Can't wait to see it all finished. what did you use for the intake manifold? clean the hell out of it beforehand?
Old 12-22-2007, 07:03 AM
Fortune Cookie Member

Default Re: crdcz03's prelude project thread. abs removal/manual rack conversion/wire tucking (roller3804)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roller3804 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How hard was it to take the blower and evap out? I think I might do it tomorrow cause im off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

not hard... you'll need a torx screwdriver though. the evaporator is pretty easy, and the blower gets stuck on something so you have to wiggle it out
Old 12-22-2007, 02:20 PM
Fortune Cookie Member

Default Re: (shutta)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shutta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice write up. pictues are good also. I hate when people post long how-to's are some other write-up and have blurry crappy photos. Can't wait to see it all finished. what did you use for the intake manifold? clean the hell out of it beforehand?</TD></TR></TABLE>

the intake manifold is painted with black wrinkle paint. looks better and hides dirt
Old 12-22-2007, 02:22 PM
Fortune Cookie Member

i just realized that i cannot remember which booster is the non-abs one... they both look the same

anyone know how to tell the difference?
Old 12-22-2007, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.slhondaparts.com
Just go there and look up each part number.
The prelude S should not have had ABS correct? So just match the part number to that.

EDIT i did it for you

NON ABS - 46400-SM5-A01
ABS - 46400-SS0-A51

Old 12-22-2007, 09:03 PM
Fortune Cookie Member

Default Re: (roller3804)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roller3804 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.slhondaparts.com
Just go there and look up each part number.
The prelude S should not have had ABS correct? So just match the part number to that.

EDIT i did it for you

NON ABS - 46400-SM5-A01
ABS - 46400-SS0-A51

</TD></TR></TABLE>

now if only the booster had the part number stamped on it somewhere no seriously, ill have to check if theres a little sticker or something that i missed
Old 12-22-2007, 09:18 PM
Fortune Cookie Member

here is tonights update:

got a lot of the soldering done. which is suprising b/c i used to hate soldering... until i learned how to do it correctly and realized that it is much easier than i thought. ive only got a few wires to do tomorrow and i found a little short cut which is great (pics of that at the bottom)

here are the pics

i made this little soldering helper table last night which worked like a charm tonight

then i realized that i needed to bolt it down somewhere so i drilled a hole in it and bolted it down to the jdm throttle cable valve cover hole

then i went to town on them wires. btw, i was quite comfortable b/c the backs of my knees were killing me from standing over the car for so long

this is where i ended the night. didnt take as long as i anticipated. and my level of fustration was at 0 compared to last tuesday which was at an all time high hahah

then as i unwrapped the tape off of the distributor wires i came across this great shortcut. boy am i glad i removed all the tape. if you look closely you will see that the yellow wire and a blue wire goes from one plug to another plug. this means that i dont have to extend these! and those two have multiple different wires inside them. the yellow one has like 4 or 5 and the blue one has 3 or 4. great news for me!

then just before i went in for the night i was going to do this one real quick when all the sudden this wire basically fell out of the plug. i seriously did not even pull on it. so now i dont know wtf to do. i guess ill have to find someone that has a harness laying around and can cut it off for me. i think this is the one that goes on the coolant inlet/outlet for the upper radiator hose. im not sure if i need it or not...

thats all for today. seeing as how well the soldering went this evening, ill probably finish that tomorrow afternoon. put the interior back together and maybe figure out which booster is which!

thanks for looking
Old 12-22-2007, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crdcz03)

now if only the booster had the part number stamped on it somewhere no seriously, ill have to check if theres a little sticker or something that i missed</TD></TR></TABLE>

Si brake booster = 8" x 9"

S brake booster = 7" x 8"

http://www.hondaautomotivepart...81%29

Old 12-22-2007, 09:41 PM
moderator emeritus

is the green one ECT, vtec or oil pressure? I have a couple of them laying around.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:46 AM
Fortune Cookie Member

Default Re: (Hawkze_2.3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hawkze_2.3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Si brake booster = 8" x 9"

S brake booster = 7" x 8"

http://www.hondaautomotivepart...81%29</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks man. i knew someone would know the difference

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is the green one ECT, vtec or oil pressure? I have a couple of them laying around.</TD></TR></TABLE>

its not vtec or oil pressure. im pretty sure its the one to the left of the exhaust ports. right on that thing that the upper radiator hose connects to. i dont know what ECT is but if its something with coolant temp then thats probably the one

Quick Reply: crdcz03's prelude project thread. abs removal/manual rack conversion/wire tucking