Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) in CA for SMOG

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) in CA for SMOG

I believe I fall in the category of financial hardship as I am currently a student with a low income. Is this a good idea to do? It looks like I can get up to $500 in financial help from the state of CA.

I have all the basic boltons: I/H/E/Hfc

Here are the steps on what to do:

What do I do if my vehicle fails a Smog Check.

If your vehicle fails a biennial smog check, you have several options to meet your smog check obligations.

1. Have your vehicle diagnosed and repaired at a licensed Test and Repair station.
2. Apply for Financial assistance for emissions-related repairs from the Consumer Assistance Program (CAP).
3. Seek a Repair Cost Waiver or Economic Hardship Extension through the Referee System.

If you choose to have your vehicle diagnosed and repaired, keep in mind that all emission related repairs to correct a smog failure must be performed by a licensed smog technician at a licensed station.

If your vehicle is directed to a Test-Only or Gold Shield station, repairs cannot be performed at the Test-Only station, but the final, after repairs test may be done there, or at a Gold Shield station.

The Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) consists of a Vehicle Retirement Program and a Repair Assistance Program. In order to participate in CAP, you must submit a CAP application and receive approval before attempting to repair or retire the vehicle. Please contact CAP for further information regarding the Vehicle Retirement and Repair Assistance Programs.

The Repair Cost Waiver and Economic Hardship Extension processes are available if you have had some repairs performed to reduce emissions and cannot afford further repairs to pass the smog test. The Repair Cost Waiver and Economic Hardship Extension will allow you to register your vehicle for one biennial cycle, even if the vehicle still fails a smog test. To be eligible for a Repair Cost Waiver, the vehicle must not be tampered, and have at least $450 of emission related repairs performed by a licensed technician at a licensed station. The Economic Hardship Extension is available for low income consumers with vehicles needing repairs exceeding $250, in which case an estimate for repairs, following diagnosis by a licensed technician, will meet eligibility requirements. Both the Repair Cost Waiver and Economic Hardship Extentions are issued by the Referee.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) in CA for SMOG

anyone?