Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

clutch hydrolic problem plz help

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch hydrolic problem plz help

Ok so this is the third time my clutch pedal fell to the floor with no pressure at all. The first time I did the master and slave cylinder and it worked for about 1 month. Then the second time I took it to a shop and the mechanic bleed it but didn't change anything and it started working even better than before. Then I drove the car the whole day then it fell again. The master cylinder still had fluid. Its back in the shop now but what do u guys think. Clutch damper? Or just air getting in somewhere?
Old 01-26-2008, 01:27 PM

it could be a clutch damper diaphragm failing and letting air in the system, if it is then just bypass it with brake line, or i think some places sell braided by-pass lines for only like 12 dollars but don't quote me. otherwise i would just try bleeding it again and look very carefully for leaks, good luck
Old 01-26-2008, 02:04 PM

Default Re: (h23prelude)

Yeah that sounds like it..its not really losing fluid but it seems like its taking in air. I can't find a auto store around here that has the size fittings for the lines. I am thinking about buying a new damper from the dealer for about $70. I got a act stg 2 6 puck so if a new damper will give me a softer clutch I'll take it.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:06 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWDVW

that link is for the damper by-pass, but if you want to have a soft clutch feel i would not recommend this because it will slightly stiffen the pedal. but if you're not concerned about a soft clutch then i'd buy this cuz its only 25 dollars shipped! but its all up to you. i dont have a damper on my clutch line and its still a aofter pedal then my friends stock Subarau STi. just my two cents
Old 01-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h23prelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWDVW

that link is for the damper by-pass, but if you want to have a soft clutch feel i would not recommend this because it will slightly stiffen the pedal. but if you're not concerned about a soft clutch then i'd buy this cuz its only 25 dollars shipped! but its all up to you. i dont have a damper on my clutch line and its still a aofter pedal then my friends stock Subarau STi. just my two cents</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry, but a line to eliminate the damper needs to be about 5-7 feet long. That is just a replacement for the rubber section of hose from the frame over to the tranny. That will in no way eliminate the clutch damper.

Did you really think it could be done for $24.99 anyway, haha

Read this if you really want to eliminate the damper: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1210919

Old 01-26-2008, 05:35 PM

U know I never thought those lines would bypass the damper. Sweet...however I already have one so I'll try again to get the right fitting and see what happens. I hear people say that the clutch becomes more responsive is it really noticeable??also with the ss line is it suppose to be much harder to bleed. I had one ran from the MC to the slave and I went through 3 bottles of brake fluid and I got the slave to slight move back and forth
Old 01-26-2008, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (redline7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redline7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I hear people say that the clutch becomes more responsive is it really noticeable??also with the ss line is it suppose to be much harder to bleed. I had one ran from the MC to the slave and I went through 3 bottles of brake fluid and I got the slave to slight move back and forth </TD></TR></TABLE>

Mine feels about the same without the damper...

There is also no reason it would be harder to bleed. Sounds like you had a leak or something.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:03 PM

sorry about the mis information, i was under the impression those eliminated the damper, when i swapped from auto&gt;manual i simply bent a steel hard line from master to slave with an 8" flex hose between engine and unibody to allow the engine to move. but if possible you still could bend and flare a brake line to bypass the damper? just an idea
Old 01-26-2008, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h23prelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> but if possible you still could bend and flare a brake line to bypass the damper?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, definately. Either a hardline with a flex line on the end or a full flexible line will work fine.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:24 PM

Default Re: (Hawkze_2.3)

Hmm..I went through 3 bottles of brake fluid when I had a 6 feet long ss line from the MC to Slave and no pedal pressure but slight slave movment.. Faulty Master cylinder?( new from autozone) I also tried 2 different slave cylinders and nothing
Old 01-28-2008, 12:02 PM

check around the flange of the master cly and inside the car where it protudes in the firewall, see if theres any fluid around there? if not remove youre master cly and plug the port and try pushing the arm inward, if you can push it in more then like a 1/4" or if it keeps seeping downward then your master cyl is bad. if ya still got the receipt go get a new one. good luck
Old 01-29-2008, 04:59 PM

Default Re: clutch hydrolic problem plz help (redline7)

Well I got the clutch working. My problem was just a simple leak in my line somwhere. I ran a steel braided line from the mc to slave cylinder and I finally mastered the art of bleeding. Make sure u have the bleeder connected to a hose that is in a bottle of brake fluid. Then leave the bleeder vale open and just pump like a one way valve. Now how does it feel with a straight ss line and no damper? A lot stiffer. I am gonna change my clutch to something softer and less agressive. Thanks HT
Old 02-15-2019, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: clutch hydrolic problem plz help

My 98 integra is letting in air when I try to bleed it. Is the air coming from the flexible part of the line or is something up with the new master and slave I put in about a month ago. Has been working fine but is letting in air like a sieve now. What's next?