Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Built H22A Turbo Tranny Recommendations

Old 12-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Built H22A Turbo Tranny Recommendations

Hey guys wanted to get some Ideas/Recommendations on building the tranny for my engine. Was going to sell it and got some great offers, but i decided to finish the build

*Any constructive criticism is welcomed.

Project Name: Pathetic
Engine:1995 H22A
Goal: 800hp
Application: Autocross, Time Attack, Downhill FF, Circuit

Building the Block:

H22A Block

Darton Sleeves
Brian Crower Pro Series Rods
Wiseco 84mm Piston
Lower Seals/Gaskets
OEM OIL Pump
ARP Head Studs
Greddy Extreme True Timing Belt

Building the Head
:

H22a3 Head

JUN Cams
AEM True Time Adjustable Cam Gears

Secret Services Auto Titanium Valve-train Package
- Springs
- Retainers
- Valves
- Valve Guide seals

Secret Services Auto Competition Cylinder Head Work
- Port & Polishing

Cometic Head Gasket

Additional Parts:

Bearings
Balance Shaft Removal Kit
Manual Tensioner Kit
Idler Pulley Spacer
OEM Water Pump
AEM Light Weight Pulleys

Building the Transmissions: (*Not Complete*)
Spec Mini Twin Clutch
Includes:
- Clutch
- Pressure Plate
- Flywheel
* Rated at 800 Lbs. of Torque
* Street, Road, Rally

Fuel Delivery:

FIC 900cc Injectors EV14
In Tank Custom Fuel Pump
AEM Fuel Rail
Fuel Pressure Regulator

The Turbo:

Precision Billet 6765 Ball Bearing
Precision 46mm Waste-gate
Tial 50mm Blow Off Valve
Mishimoto-Black 6061 aluminum TIG Welded Intercooler
AEM Water Methanol Injection
Custom Catch Can

Transmission Help:

I was currently looking into Team MFactory Gears+Parts to start assembling my tranny(m2y4), I wish the gears were bigger but i could not find many built gears that are larger than oem h series.

Links Below:
1st,2nd,3rd,4th Gear

LSD

If anyone has any advice towards a less expensive approach in building my transmissions without sacrificing the integrity of its reliability & performance that would be most appreciated.

Also any recommendations on the axles?

Please Note: I do not like cutting corners in any way, I love to do things properly but effectively and efficiently. That is why i would like to build a transmission instead of contently swapping out OEM M2Y4's (Which has been recommended by many).

Thank You!

Last edited by Pathetic; 12-03-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Built H22A Turbo Tranny Recommendations

theres a possible group buy going on for an albins gearset for like 4k or something, thats what youll need for 800hp
Old 12-04-2011, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You will need an aftermarket gearset and some DSS axles.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info guys will check them out! If anyone has any other recommendations im all ears
Old 12-04-2011, 04:53 PM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

autocross with 800hp?
Old 12-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ummmmmmm 84mm pistons ?
Old 12-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by v4lu3s
autocross with 800hp?
This is the goal for the car to run at a 100% competent level, but depending on which levels/tracks/circuits i will be attending i am sure my spec'd torque/boost/suspension will very greatly in the range of 500 to 800.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:10 AM
RTFM

Originally Posted by #1rudebwoy
ummmmmmm 84mm pistons ?
really really really thick sleeves?
Old 12-05-2011, 11:16 AM
RTFM

Originally Posted by Pathetic
This is the goal for the car to run at a 100% competent level, but depending on which levels/tracks/circuits i will be attending i am sure my spec'd torque/boost/suspension will very greatly in the range of 500 to 800.
what class will you be competing in?
Old 12-05-2011, 11:34 AM
I live under a rock

You'll never make 800hp on 900cc injectors, and that 6765 can do it depending on which housing you have. You'll also need larger fuel lines.

Jun cam's aren't a good choice for that power level either. You'll also need a intake manifold and throttle body to flow enough cfm for 800hp.

You'll also need a ECU like AEM EMS or Hondata, ditch the water meth, if you're going to go this route just run C16 or equivalent and skip all that. A wideband and other tuning tools would also be strongly advised.

If you aren't planning on drag racing, I would reconsider your choices and your power goals.

Sounds like you have some more work to do, you can't just throw money and parts at a car and expect huge power in return.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by spoolinlude
You'll never make 800hp on 900cc injectors, and that 6765 can do it depending on which housing you have. You'll also need larger fuel lines.

Jun cam's aren't a good choice for that power level either. You'll also need a intake manifold and throttle body to flow enough cfm for 800hp.

You'll also need a ECU like AEM EMS or Hondata, ditch the water meth, if you're going to go this route just run C16 or equivalent and skip all that. A wideband and other tuning tools would also be strongly advised.

If you aren't planning on drag racing, I would reconsider your choices and your power goals.

Sounds like you have some more work to do, you can't just throw money and parts at a car and expect huge power in return.

Ahh thank you for mentioning that, I currently have an AEM EMS, and have a an oem intake manifold that has been slightly fabricated to allow as much air as possible, but if i cannot reach my goal(wich is not something that will be changed) i will have to get a different manifold. I am not going to "throw money" into an aftermarket manifold until a few tuners deem it necessary.

I agree the jun cams are not the best in this sort of application, but that is money i did not have to use. The cams were salvaged after a buddy got his freshly built h22 prelude t-boned by a drunk driver, he gave them to me for all the help Ive given over the years along with the cam gears.

And thank you for the advice on the larger lines that is something i have not though of!

I will only be running 93 octane that is something i decided at the beginning of the project.

The injectors that i currently have may not be able to acquire 800 hp and is something i will have to address, but to get my car to start on the track with 500hp+ i think will do the job. (Bonus note: I got the pump and injectors on Houston Imports new for 200)

Last Note the power i want to achieve and the power that i will be running my prelude at are two different things! Of course i will have some drag times too, but i did mention what my wheels are putting down will depend on what i am doing, but building it to 800hp effectively and keeping the h22a very confident and have much room before murdering it at 100% capacity seems more reasonable to me. And in no way did i wake up one morning and throw a stack of money at my engine and say i want to make 800HP, ive been working on this since November 2010 and have been budget hunting and managing my expenses responsibly. But thank you for what you addressed i appreciate it!
Old 12-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

But i am still in search of a proper and reasonable transmission build i looked at some recommendations but it seemed more expensive than the gears i originally sought out.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pathetic
Hey guys wanted to get some Ideas/Recommendations on building the tranny for my engine. Was going to sell it and got some great offers, but i decided to finish the build

*Any constructive criticism is welcomed.

Project Name: Pathetic
Engine:1995 H22A
Goal: 800hp
Application: Autocross, Time Attack, Downhill FF, Circuit

Building the Block:

H22A Block

Darton Sleeves
Brian Crower Pro Series Rods
Wiseco 84mm Piston
Lower Seals/Gaskets
OEM OIL Pump
ARP Head Studs
Greddy Extreme True Timing Belt

Building the Head
:

H22a3 Head

JUN Cams
AEM True Time Adjustable Cam Gears

Secret Services Auto Titanium Valve-train Package
- Springs
- Retainers
- Valves
- Valve Guide seals

Secret Services Auto Competition Cylinder Head Work
- Port & Polishing

Cometic Head Gasket

Additional Parts:

Bearings
Balance Shaft Removal Kit
Manual Tensioner Kit
Idler Pulley Spacer
OEM Water Pump
AEM Light Weight Pulleys

Building the Transmissions: (*Not Complete*)
Spec Mini Twin Clutch
Includes:
- Clutch
- Pressure Plate
- Flywheel
* Rated at 800 Lbs. of Torque
* Street, Road, Rally

Fuel Delivery:

FIC 900cc Injectors EV14
In Tank Custom Fuel Pump
AEM Fuel Rail
Fuel Pressure Regulator

The Turbo:

Precision Billet 6765 Ball Bearing
Precision 46mm Waste-gate
Tial 50mm Blow Off Valve
Mishimoto-Black 6061 aluminum TIG Welded Intercooler
AEM Water Methanol Injection
Custom Catch Can

Transmission Help:

I was currently looking into Team MFactory Gears+Parts to start assembling my tranny(m2y4), I wish the gears were bigger but i could not find many built gears that are larger than oem h series.

Links Below:
1st,2nd,3rd,4th Gear

LSD

If anyone has any advice towards a less expensive approach in building my transmissions without sacrificing the integrity of its reliability & performance that would be most appreciated.

Also any recommendations on the axles?

Please Note: I do not like cutting corners in any way, I love to do things properly but effectively and efficiently. That is why i would like to build a transmission instead of contently swapping out OEM M2Y4's (Which has been recommended by many).

Thank You!

As to the gear set for the H22 tranny, I do know that they have been tested on a 610whp H22 boosted motor. My friend has them on his 90 Prelude.

Your only option is MFactory as far as I know, and they are not cheap, but they do say it can handle the type of power you are throwing at it.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There are actually a few options, but come with a decent price tag.

-Saenz
-Mfactory
-PPG??

There is a thread in forced induction, where they are getting some people together to get a Albins set made as well. You are looking in the $4k range for a decent setup.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you plan on running pump gas only you arent gonna make 800hp....
Old 12-07-2011, 04:39 AM
I live under a rock

Originally Posted by contractkiller
if you plan on running pump gas only you arent gonna make 800hp....
This too, in fact I wouldn't go over 450 - 500hp on pump gas, no point in taking chances.

The problem with all aftermarket gear sets is they're for drag racing only. If you're not looking to drag all the time and want to autoX or some other form of racing, I would suggest knocking your power goal down into the 450-500 range and just running a stock trans with some good syncro's and a nice LSD.

It really isn't worth the money to build up the trans if you're not creating an all our drag car. As I already mentioned all the after market gear sets are for drag racing, they're all straight cut FOUR SPEED sets, you lose 5th gear due to the cuff, which is needed for the extra strength.

In my own car, I've been experimenting with a cut down 5th gear and a cutdown cuff, to allow myself to retain 5th gear while still getting the added strength. I haven't made much progress, but this would be for a street car application only as 5th gear wouldn't be able to hold any power, it would only be for cruising.

And if you think your build has taken a while, I've been at it since 2000. Lol.....
Old 12-07-2011, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by spoolinlude
This too, in fact I wouldn't go over 450 - 500hp on pump gas, no point in taking chances.

The problem with all aftermarket gear sets is they're for drag racing only. If you're not looking to drag all the time and want to autoX or some other form of racing, I would suggest knocking your power goal down into the 450-500 range and just running a stock trans with some good syncro's and a nice LSD.

It really isn't worth the money to build up the trans if you're not creating an all our drag car. As I already mentioned all the after market gear sets are for drag racing, they're all straight cut FOUR SPEED sets, you lose 5th gear due to the cuff, which is needed for the extra strength.

In my own car, I've been experimenting with a cut down 5th gear and a cutdown cuff, to allow myself to retain 5th gear while still getting the added strength. I haven't made much progress, but this would be for a street car application only as 5th gear wouldn't be able to hold any power, it would only be for cruising.

And if you think your build has taken a while, I've been at it since 2000. Lol.....
What synchros and lsd would you recommend?
Old 12-10-2011, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...ghlight=Albins

Check this. Mfactory isnt able to handle the 800. Check the thread out. We all are on the same boat in there. A lot of h22s on high numbers lookin for this gear set.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:33 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

i think you have a bunch of parts that have nothing to do with what you are trying to do.

build your setup for the goal of the car. circuit racing cars, especially fwd, dont need a **** ton of power or some big turbo to get you around the track. smaller turbos which will allow you to exit turns faster without ripping the tires loose but still give the top end power for straightaways is what you should be looking into.

you havent posted anything about your suspension, weight, chassis reinforcement, tires...etc.