Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Building h22 head

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building h22 head

I am buying a fresh h22 head locally. It has been cleaned by a shop and the thing has been taken apart. The seats and valves are cut and it has been milled. Everything is in spec. Where the head gasket goes, its been resurfaced, as well as the exhaust side.

So its in pretty good condition. All the carbon was removed by a pro.

What im asking is, with a budget, what can I do to this head. I'm going to have it sitting on my work bench for a while while i chip away at it. My current head is in good shape. I just hear a ticking noise. I know one of my lobes are getting rounded out and I think thats because the LMAs are sticking.

The block will be completely stock because I cant afford any down time on my car unless i buy a block and work on it on the side. but i dont think thats in my budget.

thanks
Old 02-17-2014, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Building h22 head

Valvetrain, cams, and cam gears are about it as far as what else you can "build" the head with. Valves are an option, but the stock ones actually flow pretty well and since they've already been seated to the head, I'd leave them alone. Replace the LMA's.

Unless you're talking about porting? You can do some basic cleanup, but don't get very aggressive with it or you can ruin the flow.

The other small thing would be to get another valve cover and either fabricate or send it out to have new ports put on it for a breather can setup.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you are not boosting I wouldnt worry about a P&P, it would kill your mid range power. You can have it polished/cleaned up from casting imperfections.

duel rate springs
guides
seals
retainers
valves
cams
if its a p13 and you have a euro-r mani have the head port matched.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:37 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

At the point where the head has been cleaned and valves cut in, the only stuff that you may want to do is aftermarket springs and retainers if you are doing upgraded cams.

So far as stock parts to do, just new valve seals and the new style lmas.

I am hoping that the shop that did the milling and valve seating checked all of the guides, otherwise they could be done as well if needed. The head I just did needed all new exhaust side guides, but they did them before the valve job and mill.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As Snobordboy mentioned, if you havent already replaced the valve
seals you may as well put new ones in now. GL with the project man,
its good when you have a spare motor and can take your time working
on it.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:50 AM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparksman
If you are not boosting I wouldnt worry about a P&P, it would kill your mid range power. You can have it polished/cleaned up from casting imperfections.

duel rate springs
guides
seals
retainers
valves
cams
if its a p13 and you have a euro-r mani have the head port matched.
porting by someone who knows what they are doing, i can assure you, will not loose mid range power.

competition valve job by a well known HONDA machinist is all the machine work you need on the head. You dont have a hot enough setup to justify spending XXX or XXXX amount on porting.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EFI Logistics
porting by someone who knows what they are doing, i can assure you, will not loose mid range power.

competition valve job by a well known HONDA machinist is all the machine work you need on the head. You dont have a hot enough setup to justify spending XXX or XXXX amount on porting.
On a stock bottom end wouldnt a port mess with the volumetric efficiency? At least thats what I swear Randy-NAH2B was telling me when I was talking to him about my own build.

ps. just noticed the name change, for a second I thought someone stole you're avatar haha