Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Brake lights not working. Not becoming bright

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Brake lights not working. Not becoming bright

***** FIXED!! I sprayed the sockets for all lights in each tail light with electrical contact cleaner. That did the trick!*********

Hey guys,

I went in for my emissions check and the guy behind me told me that my brake lights aren't working. I noticed that one of my 3rd brake light bulbs was not working. At this point, only one 3rd brake light was lighting up when I stepped on the brake pedal, so I was hoping that was the problem. I moved the bulb around and it started working again...but I changed it anyway. I changed both 4rd brake light bulbs. Now both 3rd brake light bulbs light up when I step on the brake pedal, but the tail lights aren't becoming bright when I step on the brake pedal. ALL of my lights work when I turn on the headlights. The rear tail lights light up as they should when the head lights are on. They just don't become bright when I step on the brake pedal.

I also tried unplugging each tail light harness to see if the other one would light up. Still no noticeable results. I even kept the harnesses plugged into the lights....but I pulled the light bulb in each light housing. I even tried pulling out the reverse and turn signal bulbs. Nothing.

I am wondering if the black box mounted on the driver's side tail light is bad. Not sure what else it could be.

Any ideas? Any fuses I should check? I looked but I don't see any fuses particularly for the rear lights.

Modified by AndyD at 11:46 PM 2/21/2008
Old 02-18-2008, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so you replaced the taillight bulbs too? did you put dual filament bulbs in the taillights? I'm pretty you couldn't have put in single filament bulbs unless you jammed them in. single filament should have a different plugin from dual filament.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Brake lights not working. Not becoming bright (AndyD)

That's weird...have you checked the grounds back there? There's a couple that bolt to the back of the frame inside the trunk...
Old 02-18-2008, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Brake lights not working. Not becoming bright (Hawkze_2.3)

If none of your brake lights are becoming bright...it's the brake switch. Its located under your dash right on the brake pedal. All it is a button that moves in and out creating continuity on a circuit as your brake pedal accuates. This is assuming that your vehicle is a standard otherwise in an automatic a failed switch would not allow you to come out of park. I would give that a shot first. It's easy to replace, relatively inexpensive and it's a moving part so they do where out. You just don't find to many honda's with failing modules and wiring especially to do with something simple as the tailights. Hopefully that helps you out and gets you going.