Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

BB6 J35 SWAP

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BB6 J35 SWAP

holly its very hard to find info on the bb6 j35 swap does anyone have any info that can help me IE wiring and engine mounts for the swap ?

I should let you know this is my first time on here and this will be my first swap i have a j35 motor with the 6 speed trans and ecu the motor is from an 08 Tl please help thanks
Old 12-17-2012, 06:47 PM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: BB6 J35 SWAP

what information have you found on your own? As in, not implying that you are expecting other people to do all the researching for you.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Take a look at this thread, may find some useful information or at least know who you can contact for information. http://www.preludepower.com/forums/s...&highlight=j35
Old 12-20-2012, 04:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98vtec
what information have you found on your own? As in, not implying that you are expecting other people to do all the researching for you.
LOL....Riiiiiight!!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The information that i have is that the motor will fit if i make the motor mounts using steel to reinforce the frame rail where the motor mounts are going to be placed plus i will be sending my wiring harness from motor and the the bb6 to the U.S to be merged together what i am curious to know is about ground and hood clearance and axles i will be addind a turbo for fun and more power let me know if i am missing anything guys thanks
Old 01-22-2013, 07:14 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ so basically you havnt figured anythign out then?

I mean, im ***** deep in a jswap on a bb6 myself and there is much informatuion you are missing. Perhaps you do soem research of your own and then post what you have found out?
Old 01-22-2013, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crazy lude
The information that i have is that the motor will fit if i make the motor mounts using steel to reinforce the frame rail where the motor mounts are going to be placed plus i will be sending my wiring harness from motor and the the bb6 to the U.S to be merged together what i am curious to know is about ground and hood clearance and axles i will be addind a turbo for fun and more power let me know if i am missing anything guys thanks
What engine management are you going to use? I also have my old hasport mounts for the swap (I have Innovative mounts now) for sale if you want them. WHere are you sending your harness?
Old 01-27-2013, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What happened to this guy and his swap? Bump..
Old 01-27-2013, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hit this guy up.(i got the video off youtube i have no connections to this video what so ever)
Old 01-27-2013, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thats fresh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EHXT3W9suk
hit this guy up.(i got the video off youtube i have no connections to this video what so ever)

That's my car now. It used to be the guy in the drivers seat, Rich but I bought it and drove it home (California) from Oklahoma. THat car is history though because I took the motor and trans out and parted out the rest of the car. THe motor went into my white SH. THe car is currently at Innovative.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So you guys are probably wondering what happened to this guy? lol. Just been busy working. The info that I got is that the cl axles will fit and other than that all the info i have was posted a little while ago. As to answer some of ur questions I will not be needing a engine management system because i will be using 2 wiring harnesses and the orginal TL ecu.I will be looking to buy ths hasport stage 2 motor mounts which will help with hood clearance as well as the TL or CL drive axles. If I am missing anything please feel free to comment.......thanks guys!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you still have the wheels? i would buy them for my tl, sorry to get off topic.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:22 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

interestingly enough, i contacted an acura dealer to inquire about buying a 2008 tl type s 6mt ecu, ignition w key set, immobilizer unit and programming and everythign came out to jsut under 1000 bucks. Although this was for the DBW unit for the 08+, it is good sign that one doesnt need to go and buy an aftermarket unit to run the engine. I know wheni swap to the j35 6mt formt he j32a2 6mt, i will be going that route and skidding the aem unit i plan on using ont he j32.

Food for thought about engine managment.....
Old 01-30-2013, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bouckaroo
interestingly enough, i contacted an acura dealer to inquire about buying a 2008 tl type s 6mt ecu, ignition w key set, immobilizer unit and programming and everythign came out to jsut under 1000 bucks. Although this was for the DBW unit for the 08+, it is good sign that one doesnt need to go and buy an aftermarket unit to run the engine. I know wheni swap to the j35 6mt formt he j32a2 6mt, i will be going that route and skidding the aem unit i plan on using ont he j32.

Food for thought about engine managment.....
Yeah but it's just a stock ecu nothing more, there is no actual management. THat's the problem with the J-Series ECU is no aftermarket support unless you go megasquirt but even then I'm not sold. We need an actual EMS to be able to make changes and you can't do that with stock ECU and if you want to go turbo, like me, what the hell are you supposed to do? Trust me I have scoured the interwebz looking for any scrap of info and there's not much out there. Don @ RPMSystems has some interesting ideas and I don't want to put anything out there, I'll let him do that but he would be worth talking to (I know you already have Josh). Also TIm Beadle at Arizona Performance Imports (API) is currently working on cracking the code on the J-Series ECU's so they can be programmable but as of now no dice. He has my ECU and has had it already for almost 8 months. Something is bound to come up for us eventually but I don't want to wait another 10 years..
Old 02-01-2013, 08:13 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

The 2008 type s ecu is called a "dynamic ecm", this means that is capable of minor tuning on the fly, and from what the acura dealership explained ot me is that you can run a j35 or j37 on it and it will self calibrate to make either engien run well. Probably not as good as an AEM or Motec, which so far are the only ones on the market with tunabillity for the j.

I will be using the sereis2 on my j32 and then wheni swap teh DBW j35 in i will go with a stock setup.(mainly cuz i want to uber cool flip key thigny hahaahah)

Any word on your car coming back? i am very curious to see what kind of moutns innovative has come up with for it.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bouckaroo
The 2008 type s ecu is called a "dynamic ecm", this means that is capable of minor tuning on the fly, and from what the acura dealership explained ot me is that you can run a j35 or j37 on it and it will self calibrate to make either engien run well. Probably not as good as an AEM or Motec, which so far are the only ones on the market with tunabillity for the j.

I will be using the sereis2 on my j32 and then wheni swap teh DBW j35 in i will go with a stock setup.(mainly cuz i want to uber cool flip key thigny hahaahah)

Any word on your car coming back? i am very curious to see what kind of moutns innovative has come up with for it.

I am in limbo at this point. Car should be done anytime now. I have stopped calling though because the anxiety level is almost unbearable lol
Old 02-10-2013, 05:44 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

ahhhh.....gotta hate the limbo....