Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Auto to manual tranny conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto to manual tranny conversion

Im looking into buy a prelude and I found one that im really interested in, the only thing i really dont like about the car is the fact that its an auto. I did a search earlier for auto--> 5 speed swaps but i didnt find anything.

I was hoping that some of you who have done this coudl tell me what I need and about how much you think it would cost. I have a general idea about whats needed (ie clutch, new flywheel, clutch master cylinder, new pedals, shift linkage/cables etc) but i know im missing a few things. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Marcus
Old 12-04-2004, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: united states of mexico and yes ladies i am, available
Default Re: Auto to manual tranny conversion (Ludebehavior85)

its a pretty long list and i didnt make one when i had my tranny swaped there is one on here but i forgot where i found it and as for me i only spent as much as i would have on replacing the auto tranny at honda
Old 12-04-2004, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

About how much would that have cost? If u dont midn me asking of course. I just wanna swap it out b/ c I dont like/hate automatic trannies, there arent any probs w/it.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:14 PM

Let me tell you something: it is cheaper to buy a 5 speed than buying an auto then do the trans swap. I used to have a 99 auto and the trans died. I decided to swap into 5 speed. I planned to spend around 3000g for the swap total. I bought trans and all other parts need to complete the swap for $2000 (39000 miles on USDM trans). But of course bs happened. They sent wrong parts, missing parts unlike they promised. Then I have to pay out more for those parts from Honda dealer. I paid $1000 for the labor. I bought new stage 2 clutch $300, new lighten flywheel $350. I ran with auto ecu for a while. Another $150 for used ecu from ebay, I was lucky to get this cheap. Then I went to Honda dealer let them program the new ecu to work with immobilizer, another $180. You do the math. A lot of money, bs and hassles. The whole swap took 2 months from the day the trans dies, buy new trans, waiting, hunt missing parts, bodyshop......It is not all, the stupid mechanic improper installed the clutch master cylinder caused the clutch slipped-->messed up the new flywheel too. Had to rip out put new clutch and new flywheel in. Mannnnnn it is not worth it. Just buy a 5 speed to begin with. Save you a lot of headache, it is my honest advice
Old 12-04-2004, 11:14 PM

Default Re: (Ludebehavior85)

Im doing a swap at the moment, i have most of the parts and im going to buy the ones i cant find. Here is a good site that has a list of parts--->http://www.mazmo.com/zameoj/swap.htm
I would suggest that if you dont already have an auto prelude your locked into right now buy the manual for sure.
Old 12-05-2004, 04:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have to said that i agree with xbn83, why rush to buy an auto prelude when you could take your time and get a manual. and why spend all that money on a swap when you can save it buy geting a manual. from my point of view if you get a manual prelude the money that you were going to spend($3,000 or more) on the swap could be use to hook-up your car, with a nice turbo set-up, or a very nice NA set-up.
and that my friend are my 2 cents, good luck!

Old 12-05-2004, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Welll the plan was to do a JDM h22 swap around next fall and i was thinking of just driving it auto until then. My friend did the same thing, bought hsi car Auto and then just converted it when he got his motor swap done.

If i was going to do it I would do all the work myself and from the looks of it I think i could find all or most of the parts for a prettty reasonable price, esp the ECu since a lot of people are starting to use hondatas's with different (dont know the letter/number code) ECU's people are tryin to get rid of their other ones for decent prices.

But thanks for all your help and suggestions, im gonna think about this a little more and then make a decision. Any more comments and suggestions are welcome

Marcus

BTW, thanks for that link man, it helped out a lot.