Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

anyone dyno a stock intake cut out internally (not just IABs removed)?

Old 03-19-2016, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone dyno a stock intake cut out internally (not just IABs removed)?

I was just wondering if any of you guys have dynoed the oem intake manifold with the entire 2 stage setup cut out. I googled this and really came up short. I'm not talking about removing the intake air butterfly piece and bolting in a spacer, or just bolting it back together, I'm talking about cutting out the entire 2 stage part of the casting top and bottom and making it all one big open plenum. Like this company's "stage 3" to the bottom H22 Lower Stage 3 Porting while also doing the same to the top piece, since it also has the 8 holes in it from the factory.
Old 03-19-2016, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: anyone dyno a stock intake cut out internally (not just IABs removed)?

Rosko Racing started that a long time ago. It's not meant for stock cars though. It's actually a downgrade for stock h22's. It's meant for boost or fully built high compression high revving n/a, so a dyno comparison would be useful just for the knowledge, but also a bit goofy to bother with unless the resources work in favor of the tester, like owning their own dyno lol
Old 03-22-2016, 09:39 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: anyone dyno a stock intake cut out internally (not just IABs removed)?

Actually there is quite a following for it, but as Motoxxxman said, big built motor guys. It helps when you have an engine needing a very large plenum, like a 95 mm stroke, high compression with cams, etc, and a huge Throttle body, good header etc.

NaH2B is the guy that did a post on it, but probably in either the drag racing or naturally aspirated sections.

What Rosko did is made a viable commercial CNC product for it, instead of one-off handmade manifolds like Randy or many others like myself did.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

On a stock bolt on 90.7 ihe type deal would use them...

what I did over a decade ago was use the vacuum solenoid that comes on the jdm h22's on the fuel rail. Got a 2 prong connector wired one wire to ground of the bracket on fuel rail. Then other spliced into Vtec solenoid wire. Vacuum port of it to the boost valve... so when Vtec cracked... Secondaries opened... madvtackyo... none the less worked and worked well.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ESP.net
On a stock bolt on 90.7 ihe type deal would use them...

what I did over a decade ago was use the vacuum solenoid that comes on the jdm h22's on the fuel rail. Got a 2 prong connector wired one wire to ground of the bracket on fuel rail. Then other spliced into Vtec solenoid wire. Vacuum port of it to the boost valve... so when Vtec cracked... Secondaries opened... madvtackyo... none the less worked and worked well.
the OP is referring to hogging out the entire manifold to make 4 short runners and massive plenum volume. completely removing the runner dividers altogether
Old 03-23-2016, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes I get what he was reffering too... on stock bolt on it wouldn't shock me if power was lost doing away with the secondaries and hogging it all out... torque would have to be lost is my guess.

having a slight restriction in the stock motor... with secondaries adds torque... small straw... big straw effect...
Old 03-23-2016, 02:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

So here is the thread I was thinking of, Jay's car has had a bunch of testing, and the cams are the big change from a "stock" motor here.

Just to ensure you know it, this manifold setup on a stock H22 without cams will not have the low end torque of a stock setup, as ESP says. I have run stock with IABs, stock without IABs, and a fully gutted and ported like this with a 76MM TB. The best torque under 4000 rpm was stock with functioning IAB setup.

Looking back at Jays thread makes me feel the need to toss my PRO1's on my stock H22 and liven it up, they don't just have to run on my H23 Frank!

https://honda-tech.com/all-motor-nat...sting-2910347/
Old 03-27-2016, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

snobordboy, nice link. That's exactly what I was trying to find. It is pretty cool to see it outperform the skunk2 intake manifold like that. The car I have, there isn't enough room for the S2 anyway. Now I have something to do with my carbide burrs..