Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

ANYBODY have big brake kits on their 5th gens?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ANYBODY have big brake kits on their 5th gens?

Just wanted to see how many of you have big brake upgrades for your 5th gen, if so, your review on them and pics. I'm stuck between the 4 piston Rotora and Stoptech for my Prelude.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ANYBODY have big brake kits on their 5th gens? (BaddMo2002)

Do you road race your car?
Old 06-28-2005, 04:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah upgrade is worthless unless your hardcore, and it's still debateable even if you do race...

if your looking for stopping power hawk hp plus, cyro treat rotors, higher temp fluid...

big brakes rob power too...
Old 06-28-2005, 05:26 AM

Default Re: (georgiajdm)

i have a ssbc big brake kit on my lude, and they work just fine, the only problem with them is that the rotor and pads must get hot to work well...
and they are not so expensive.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: ANYBODY have big brake kits on their 5th gens? (Honda318dx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda318dx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you road race your car?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Corey, what do you think the answer to that question is??

I wish there were more Preludes out there.

Anyway, if you are serious about performance, get a nice set of pads, BLANK rotors, and nice tires. Suspension upgrade helps too.

If you want to find out what is the weakest part of your braking system, drive 60-70 mph (with nobody behind you), slam on your brakes to see if your ABS kicks in. If it does, your pads are fine. If it doesn't lockup, your brake pads are the problem.

If BLING is your goal, sorry, I can't help.

Modified by AndyD at 10:48 AM 6/28/2005
Old 06-28-2005, 09:41 AM

Im running AEM big brake f/r with Spoon calipers, along with Hawk pads and KVR brake lines. Stopping power is linear and immediate, even at high speed the brakes are very stable. The difference is huge, not just slightly better. I autocross and race my car so they are worthwhile to me. They may rob some power because the big brakes are heavy, but you'll be able to stop much quicker so the tradeoff is worth it.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:30 PM

Why someone would need a big brake kit upgrade
http://www.stoptech.com/faq/data/faq2.html

Old 06-28-2005, 03:32 PM

Why someone would need a big brake kit upgrade

Seems like a lot of people are anti-big brake kit in the Honda world. There are also two piece rotors available that shave about 2 lbs off the rotor weight. These will fit on the 5th gen prelude and the Integra Type R
Old 06-28-2005, 05:55 PM

Default Re: ANYBODY have big brake kits on their 5th gens? (StopTech1)

weight is not the problem; moment of inertia is the problem. Moment of inertia is to rotational motion as mass (or weight) is to translation motion; it is essentially mass*distance from the center of rotation.

Saving weight with an aluminum hat probably will not lower the moment of inertia to that of a stock rotor. This is because the majority of the mass of the bbk rotor is located further away which will more than likely increase the moment more than al hat will decrease it. Therefore, more energy to spin the rotor and less to accelerate the car.

Oh, and if I thought I needed a bbk, or I had money to burn, I would get a bbk.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:15 PM

Old 06-28-2005, 09:19 PM

Default Re: ANYBODY have big brake kits on their 5th gens? (ludiferino)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ludiferino &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">weight is not the problem; moment of inertia is the problem. Moment of inertia is to rotational motion as mass (or weight) is to translation motion; it is essentially mass*distance from the center of rotation.

Saving weight with an aluminum hat probably will not lower the moment of inertia to that of a stock rotor. This is because the majority of the mass of the bbk rotor is located further away which will more than likely increase the moment more than al hat will decrease it. Therefore, more energy to spin the rotor and less to accelerate the car.

Oh, and if I thought I needed a bbk, or I had money to burn, I would get a bbk.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I should have mentioned that these rotors are stock sized for stock calipers.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StopTech1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why someone would need a big brake kit upgrade

Seems like a lot of people are anti-big brake kit in the Honda world. There are also two piece rotors available that shave about 2 lbs off the rotor weight. These will fit on the 5th gen prelude and the Integra Type R</TD></TR></TABLE>

honda's OEM systems work well for 100% of daily drivers, very well for most road racers and the like. i don't think people are anti-bbk, per se--but they are a last priority, esp when ducting, good pads, and motul are so much cheaper.

not saying that you guys, or rotora, or baer make bunk products--it's just that alot of honda guys will never need that much heat capacity from their brake systems.

if i was road racing a k-swapped civic dx with the stock 10.2" rotors, i'd think about a bbk...

also, moment of inertia is one part of the equation, but also consider unsprung weight.

and finally, just to reiterate, BBK's will not cut stopping distances, it's your tires that have the biggest effect on that. unless you are unable to lock up/engage ABS with a set of tires then a BBK won't help in that dept. they are useful for increased heat capacity and changing the feel characteristics of a car's braking system.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ANYBODY have big brake kits on their 5th gens? (bad-monkey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bad-monkey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and finally, just to reiterate, BBK's will not cut stopping distances, it's your tires that have the biggest effect on that. unless you are unable to lock up/engage ABS with a set of tires then a BBK won't help in that dept. they are useful for increased heat capacity and changing the feel characteristics of a car's braking system.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bingo.. Its not like you guys stop from 120mph lap after lap. Stock brake system with good pads will stop you fine, and most likely, keep you in control unlike more agressive kits..

Although, I do like the Idea of just the upgraded rotors...
Old 06-29-2005, 12:15 PM

Default Re: ANYBODY have big brake kits on their 5th gens? (bad-monkey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bad-monkey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">honda's OEM systems work well for 100% of daily drivers, very well for most road racers and the like. i don't think people are anti-bbk, per se--but they are a last priority, esp when ducting, good pads, and motul are so much cheaper.

not saying that you guys, or rotora, or baer make bunk products--it's just that alot of honda guys will never need that much heat capacity from their brake systems.

if i was road racing a k-swapped civic dx with the stock 10.2" rotors, i'd think about a bbk...

also, moment of inertia is one part of the equation, but also consider unsprung weight.

and finally, just to reiterate, BBK's will not cut stopping distances, it's your tires that have the biggest effect on that. unless you are unable to lock up/engage ABS with a set of tires then a BBK won't help in that dept. they are useful for increased heat capacity and changing the feel characteristics of a car's braking system.</TD></TR></TABLE>

We are in full agreement with you. It's written right on our website.
http://www.stoptech.com/whitep...1.htm

We don't sell on knocking off XX% of stopping distances. That is why we don't publish numbers of our actual real world testing.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StopTech1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

We are in full agreement with you. It's written right on our website.
http://www.stoptech.com/whitep...1.htm

We don't sell on knocking off XX% of stopping distances. That is why we don't publish numbers of our actual real world testing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, you guys are good people, and have always been upfront about why one should or shouldn't get one of your kits.

(just making sure, but my prior response was a response to a # of posts in this thread, not just yours )