Old 12-07-2017, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Advice Needed: 5th Gen Lowering Springs/Coilovers

I am on cut factory
springs springs
and leaking factory
shocks shocks
at the moment. I took exactly 1.5" out, I'm happy with how 1.5" of drop looks and performs for the most
part part
, although I get alot of front upper control arm-to-shock tower interference. I'm running Ingalls 35730 Adj. rear upper
control control
arm mounts and SPC 67155 1.5° Adj sliding front upper control arm ball joints. My front upper arm/balljoint hits the top of the shock tower quite often (I live in Vermont). I'm hoping to remedy this with stiffer, actual purpose designed, lowering springs and a set of Tokico Illumina 5-way adj. shocks, on a stiff compression/rebound setting. Thing is I don't know what springs will have a 1.5" or less drop up front and will be stiff enough to prevent bottoming out (I want stiff springs for handling anyway). The other thing I might consider, (price dependent) is a set of
coilovers coilovers
since I could set at any ride height, set to a stiff shock valving and possibly find a set that includes a stiff spring. So any thoughts?

Lowering Spring Requirements:
  • Have a 1.5" or less drop
  • Be as stiff as possible (for both handling and enough to prevent bottoming out)
  • Fit an '01 Base Prelude
  • Not cost an absurd amount, though most don't
Coilover Requirements:
  • Include a very stiff spring
  • Fit an '01 Base Prelude
  • Be somewhat affordable
Springs I've Looked into:
  • TEIN S-Tech (Right amount of drop but I've heard theyre pretty soft)
  • H&R Race (Too much drop @ 2" Front and 1.8" Rear but I've heard theyre the stiffest on the market)
Coilovers Coilovers
I've Looked Into:
  • TEIN Street Flex Coilovers (
    Spring Spring
    Rates: Front: 10kgf/mm Rear: 6kgf/mm)-$1,000 I've ran TEIN Super Streets on my '94 Accord and they were great, how do the
    spring spring
    rates on these Street Flex's compare to other coilovers you guys know of?
  • TEIN Street Basis (Spring Rates: Front: 8kgf/mm Rear: 4kgf/mm)-$506
  • Megan Racing EZ II (Spring Rates: Front: 10kgf/mm Rear: 5kgf/mm)-$750
  • BC DR Type (Spring Rates: Front: 10kgf/mm Rear: 5kgf/mm)-$1,200
  • Function and Form Type 1 (Spring Rates: Front: 12kgf/mm Rear: 6kgf/mm)-$634
  • Ksport Kontrol Pro (Spring Rates: Front: 14kgf/mm Rear: 6.7kgf/mm)-$824
  • D2 Racing RS-$850 (Anyone know spring rates?)
  • Tanabe SUSTEC PRO S-0C (
    Spring Spring
    Rates: Front: 8kgf/mm Rear: 4kgf/mm)-$940
If I can get the $ together, I'd prefer a nice set of coilovers, if not I think it's gonna be a set of Tokico Illuminas and whatever lowering
spring spring
has the right drop and
spring spring
rate. Coilover wise it'd probly be either the Ksport Kontrol Pros or the Function and Form Type 1's just for the high spring rates, adjustability wise, they'd all be the same to me, they are all simultaneous compression rebound adjustment and ~0-3" drop adjustable from what I can see. Anyone out there running either of these?
Old 12-07-2017, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: Advice Needed: 5th Gen Lowering Springs/Coilovers

Ive been happy with my BC Racing BR's. I have em with their "standard" spring rate, but Id advice to get little bit stiffer springs than that for the rear.

DR would be kinda overkill for daily use (theyre more like for track/racing). Here people have been satisfied with their cheapest model - V1's but I decided to take the middle ground there so BR it was.

And you can order BC Racing with any spring rate you want.

http://www.bc-racing.co.uk/v1-series-coilovers

some race teams use BCs suspension as well, like with BC Racing coilovers Duncan Grahams Subaru Impreza won 2009 Time Attack class championship and Norris Designs 900bhp short wheel base Mitsubishi Evo won 2010 AAA Saloon Cup race series with BC Racing so they kinda work on tracks as well (of course they probably had BCs top track models)

Last edited by TimiK; 12-07-2017 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Wow great, thanks man. I have read into BC some and really like the sounds of their stuff. I'd likely go with their BRs probably the Type-RS as its all theyre listing on their site for the '01 Prelude. Id probably go with a custom spring rate, really liking that option. I've only ever owned TEIN coilovers but not for long! I'd like to see pillowball uppermounts for the 97+ Prelude but with as stiff as these could be I doubt I'd need em and it looks like rubber is the only option. Any idea on cost for a set of custom rate BR's?
Old 12-07-2017, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry I dont know US prices - if I remember right they didnt cost anything extra here but Im not 100% sure since it was some years ago when I got them and now is now