Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

98 prelude does not turn over after motor rebuild and install

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 prelude does not turn over after motor rebuild and install

I purchased a 98 Prelude from a guy who rebuilt the motor and after that could not get it to turn over. I got the car with the red and black key. Flashing green key blinks when key is inserted. Amazingly both previous owners were supposedly using both keys. I don’t know how when the red key deletes the programmed keys when inserted. Brought car to a locksmith who tried 3 different programmers. When he plugged into the ob2 port immediately we smelled electrical wires burning. I thought he would have stopped there but he continued to try. It was strange to say the least what behavior was happening. First the electrical burning smell. Then the programmer he had was reading 10v from the car while the battery was fully charged. I even used the battery to power my winch to pull the car back on the trailer after he gave up. I’m pretty familiar with the car and it’s set up. Everything looks to be buttoned back up electrical wise from the previous owner. My next step is going to be to change the wiring harness for the car and possibly the ecu as well. Any thoughts on wear to check and for what? What are the cheapest options out there to use for a standalone or something other than the stock ecu? I have a snap on Solus pro that I plan to use and see what I can read as far as data but as of now the car won’t do anything. Everything seems to be functional when I turn the car on but nothing beyond that. If anyone can direct me on some trouble shooting steps that would be greatly appreciated. I have over 25 years experience wrenching on cars. I plan to see what I can find out with my meter but any steps on where to start and what to look for would be great before I yank and replace the harness and ecu. Again all fuses, grounds, connections, etc seem appear to be good. Again thank you for any and all help.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 prelude does not turn over after motor rebuild and install

Been reading other forums to gain some info. Going to jump plug to read codes. Still if someone can point out some places to check for power, ground, etc to make sure something wasn’t missed when everything was put back together that would be great. Thanks
Old 04-19-2019, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

The immobilizer system does not stop the starter from turning over and thus spinning the engine... it just keeps the engine from running. This suggests that you have some other issue. What about the clutch pedal switch ??? Do you see any strange dark blue plastic pieces on the floor on the driver's side ??? Many times the clutch switch pad breaks and then the clutch start relay will not close... so you don't even get a click. If this is not your issue, I would look for a ground wire not being connected to the transmission case from the frame rail.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I will check the clutch pedal for the piece that engages the clutch switch. I thought the same thing about the starter and the Immobilizer system but then read different from HaMotorsports. Here is a link to this article describing the system. Are you talking about the main ground cable that connects at the top of the radiator support and the transmission or is there a second ground cable that goes to the transmission?

https://www.hamotorsports.com/prelud...ll-bypass.html
Old 04-20-2019, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by Ggug123
I will check the clutch pedal for the piece that engages the clutch switch. I thought the same thing about the starter and the Immobilizer system but then read different from HaMotorsports. Here is a link to this article describing the system. Are you talking about the main ground cable that connects at the top of the radiator support and the transmission or is there a second ground cable that goes to the transmission?

https://www.hamotorsports.com/prelud...ll-bypass.html
That actually isn't the main ground wire... it is a secondary ground wire. There will be a thicker one that goes from the negative battery terminal down to the right frame rail and then over to the front of the transmission case. It connects to the trans at a bracket found near the end of the slave cylinder.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So you are saying there are three cables? Top of radiator support, front lower part of trans and one by slave cylinder?
Old 04-22-2019, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ggug123
So you are saying there are three cables? Top of radiator support, front lower part of trans and one by slave cylinder?
-From the battery negative terminal it will split to two:
One goes to th top of radiator
One goes to the transmission case (same as described by JRCivic1)
- There is another ground cable goes from the valve cover to the car body as well.
- Check the thermostat grounds.

Make sure they are clean and tight.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you i will check the others. All connections are tight and clean. I need actual detailed trouble shooting info in regard to pinning out the obd2 plug as well as other areas through out the wiring harness to check for voltage/signals.