Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

97 Honda Prelude Knock Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Honda Prelude Knock Sensor

I just found a black sensor dangling by my oil filter. As well as another wire dangling that seemed to be disconnected from the oil sensor. I got the wire diagram but am wondering...
HOW IMPORTANT IS THE KNOCK SENSOR. ??? Can I drive without fixing it or should I park the car and wait until I can buy a new one?
Please reply.
Thanks
Old 02-08-2018, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97 Honda Prelude Knock Sensor

PLEASE SOMEONE ANSWER MY POST.............................................. ....................................
Old 02-09-2018, 11:22 PM
SKO
Honda-Tech Member

You can drive under normal conditions without the knock sensor working. Knock sensors are only important when the engine knocks. That being said, if I were you, I'd get it straightened out as soon as possible. If for whatever reason the engine starts knocking on you, you're not going to have that safety net to save your engine.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

does it throw any codes?
Old 02-11-2018, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I haven't taken it in to a shop that has one. I am a female and it seems to be harder for me to find someone that will let me use one. (like I am some dumb blonde, lol I am blonde but NOT DUMB!)
I did rewire the oil pressure sensor that is under the oil filter, which was REALLY EASY. The wire connection was bad, so stripped the wire back some and tightened the connection and screwed it back on to the sensor with a 7mm socket.
As far as my Knock Sensor goes. I test drove it around the block and it is lacking power off and on. Not electrical power but engine power. I have to drive to LA in the morning and PRAY THAT IT WILL NOT DIE ON ME!!
Thanks for the reply.
Totally appreciate it.
Cheers.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SKO
You can drive under normal conditions without the knock sensor working. Knock sensors are only important when the engine knocks. That being said, if I were you, I'd get it straightened out as soon as possible. If for whatever reason the engine starts knocking on you, you're not going to have that safety net to save your engine.
WHAT MAKES THE ENGINE KNOCK IS LACK OF OIL RIGHT? So as long as I have good amount of fluids I will be okay..??
Old 02-11-2018, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No codes ... Not able to find a code reader. have the book but no reader to check which codes.
Check Engine light has been on for a few months
Old 02-11-2018, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Terrinitup22
No codes ...
Check Engine light has been on for a few months
the light means theres codes and your engine/ecu might be in limp mode because of that and thats why it "lacks power"

you need to figure out those codes and fix em
Old 02-13-2018, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks TimiK
I drove to Burbank and back ... No problems during drive. I know it is important to get the codes read asap. I don't want the motor to blow. I have kept this prelude running REALLY GOOD since I purchased it. In 19 yrs it has had everything replaced with new parts EXCEPT THE TRANS. the only thing I haven't touched. Clutch new, altnr new, pwr steering pump new, radiator new, starter new, catl convert new (2 times) for the past three yrs when I go to Register it. DMV demands I get a smog check and they tell me it needs a new one every freaking time in the past 3 yrs.
Its time to register this month and the check engine light is of course on again. YIKES
Old 02-14-2018, 04:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Terrinitup22
catl convert new (2 times) for the past three yrs when I go to Register it. DMV demands I get a smog check and they tell me it needs a new one every freaking time in the past 3 yrs.
not normal, if you get ok cat (like magnaflow etc) you definetly do not need to change it than maybe once in a ten years - there might be something else wrong with your engine if you fail the smog (adjust valves, clean fitv/egr/iacv/injectors, change fuel and air filters, change oil once in a year, new ignition parts: cap, plugs, wires, rotor and check that timing & ignition are ok...)