Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

96 prelude si. jdm h22 swap

Old 09-26-2006, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 prelude si. jdm h22 swap

ok guys i did a swap for a guy. it was a 96 prelude si with the h23 motor and trans. he got a deal on this jdm h22a from somewhere (idk). before i put it in a cranked it over by hand to make sure it wasnt locked up. put it in using the h23 harness, dizzy, external coil, and wired vtec. at first i didnt have a conversion harness to plug up the obd-1 p13 i am using. so i tried to start it with the obd-2 p14, nothing. the fuel pump primes. but im not getting any spark. i didnt check to see if the injectors were firing. but i figured it had something to do with the crank position sensor (or should i say "lack of"). so i got the conversion harness in and hooked up the p13. still nothing. havent checked for fuel, but the pump is priming. im getting no spark. the dizzy worked fine on the 23. as far as i know i have all the grounds hooked up. i live 2 hours away now and i can only go home to try to fix it on the weekends. so give me a list of things to check for this weekend. thanks. positive rep to all that help
Old 09-26-2006, 09:58 PM

Default Re: 96 prelude si. jdm h22 swap (lsturbohatch10)

Im still new to hondas, but i do know my 92 jdmh22a is a internal coil on the dizzy.. im pretty sure you need to convert to that
Old 09-26-2006, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 96 prelude si. jdm h22 swap (TylerC161)

well since i am using the 23 harness, the 22 internal coil dizzy would not plug up as the harness has separate plugs for the coil and the dizzy
Old 09-27-2006, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 96 prelude si. jdm h22 swap (lsturbohatch10)

bump
Old 09-27-2006, 10:29 AM

when i did my swap, (92 si to a JDM h22a) i got the MSD external Coil Cap and an exteranl coil.... fixed my problem.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that crappy MSD product is not necessary here....

you are going to have to do one of two things
1) swap the oil pump from the h23 onto the h22, because the crank pos sensor and tdc sensor are on the oil pump gear on obd2 h motors....

or what i did
2) you will have to use the internal coil distributor, or buy an obd1 usdm distributor

the problem right now is that your obd2 h23 distributor has no tdc/ckp sensors inside, because it expects them to be down at the oil pump, but since you have the obd1 oil pump on there, you have no sensors at all

so you can either use the jdm distributor with a little bit of wiring for the internal coil, which is not too hard thats how i wired my car

or you can buy an obd1 usdm distributor, and just wire the two sensors as follows

parts you need: 4 pin connector (o2 sensor one will work)
8 pin distributor connector
4 2ft lengths of 12-16ga wire
various pins to insert into the connectors

make a little custom harness using a 4-pin connector and a few extra pins to pin into the distributor harness and about 2 feet of 12-16ga wire....look up the pinouts for teh h22 distributor on the hybrid forum's civic/h22 swap thread, and run the wires from where they come out on the h23 harness down near the oil pump, up to the dist. and pin them into the new 8 pin connector where you figure out tehy shoudl go in via the hybrid thread

then just take the pins outta your dizzy harness as is, and pin them into the new one where tehy used to be....

i really oughta take pics and show everyone all that i did, but i still haven't gotten around to that.....
Old 09-27-2006, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this stuff is quoted from another user, on the hybrid forum h22 swap thread, and i forget his name, its a few down on the first page

i believe the wire colors he listed for the civic distributor also apply to the obd1 prelude distributor, but honestly I would pull out my helms and make VERY sure before i went splicing and connecting and all, either way this is the info I used to figure it out, and until I do this writeup, I reccomend you read it well and draw out diagrams and all

note that I included the info on the internal coil conversion also....

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by some guy i forget &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the 99 civic's are obd2.2 or 2b(whichever you call it), the plugs that plug into the ecu have to be rewired to obd2 or (2a) in order to use the conversion harness. (im assuming you know how to do this)

99 civic ex distributor wires (labels & colors):
TDC (top dead center) - ORN/BLU(dizzy color) or GRN(egnine harness color)
TDCM (ground) - WHT/BLU(dizzy color) or RED(egnine harness color)
CKP (crankshaft position) - LT BLUE or BLUE/GRN(dizzy colors) or BLU(engine harness color)
CKPM (ground) - LT BLUE/YEL or WHT(dizzy colors) or WHT(engine harness color)
CYP (cylinder position) - ORN(dizzy color) or YEL(engine harness color)
CYPM (ground) - WHT or BLK(dizzy colors) or BLK(engine harness color)

ICM (ignition control module) - YEL/GRN

Power wire - BLK/YEL
Tachometer - BLU

2000 prelude distributor, ext coil, and CKP/TDC sensor wires (labels & colors)
here is also the ecu locations for obd2 for each of these wires.

4 wires go to CKP/TDC sensor ontop of the crankshaft:
C3 - TDC - GRN
C13 - TDCM - RED
C2 - CKP - BLU
C12 - CKPM - WHT

distributor:
C4 - CYP - YEL
C14 - CYPM - BLK
A20 - ICM - YEL/GRN
tachometer - BLU(should be on 2 prong plug)

EXTERNAL IGNITION COIL will have 3 wires coming out of it. 2 connect to the distributor and 1 goes to a power source.:
GRN@coil, GRN@dizzy - connects coil to dizzy
YEL@coil, BLK/YEL@dizzy- connects coil to dizzy (should be a LARGE wire)
BLK/YEL - connects coil to power source</TD></TR></TABLE>