Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

93 prelude, JDM H22A, No spark??

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 93 prelude, JDM H22A, No spark??

Can anyone tell me how to diagnose a bad distributor or rotor or anything related that will cause no-spark?? I am hoping to hear which wires are what and what voltages I should have where....please help!!

Now, this of course makes no sense to me, but I have a 4-pin connection to the USDM H23 ignitor (external) and battery voltage is leaving that ignitor on the yellow wire which goes to the JDM distributor (internal coil). I am getting 11.something volts on the Yellow wire going into the distributor, and that is using the blue wire as the ground (so the blue wire proves to be grounded?).

Anyways, if anyone is familiar with the JDM H22A swap into a US H23 prelude, please tell me what to check so I can figure this out. The engine just dropped dead on me one night and hasn't restarted since then....it will only turn over, but no attempt to actually "fire up"...

--TJ
Old 06-18-2008, 06:15 AM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 93 prelude, JDM H22A, No spark?? (jdm_rb20)

how do you know you dont have spark?

do you have fuel?
Old 06-18-2008, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 93 prelude, JDM H22A, No spark?? (98vtec)

I placed a napkin at the return line outlet of the fuel rail and turned the key. The napkin got a soaking of gasoline. Also, when I had the spark plug out, I turned the key a few times and I can smell the gas through the hole that the plug came out of. So I am pretty certain that I have gas....no laughs...hehe

But about the spark: I have tried the screwdriver arcing test, and there was no sparking from the screwdriver to the chassis/ground when my friend turned the key. I also put the plug into the plug wire and watched for a spark, but saw none. I have also used a bit of sandpaper to lightly clean the corrosion off of the spinning thing inside the distributor cap, reassembled, and still no spark.

So what wires should I check as the inputs to the distributor or how else can I confirm/track-down my problem?? Any ideas about whether I had it set up right to begin with? (voltage going through a USDM ignitor and out the yellow wire to the distributor...there is NOOO plug wire on the USDM external ignitor..voltage just seems to pass through it on the H23's harness)

--TJ

Modified by jdm_rb20 at 8:01 AM 6/18/2008

Modified by jdm_rb20 at 8:04 AM 6/18/2008
Old 06-18-2008, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 93 prelude, JDM H22A, No spark?? (jdm_rb20)

Well, my distributor had taken a dump and I finally got bold enough to replace my JDM-stock-internal-coil with the old H23 external-coil and matching distributor. And my baby fired right up..

As a side note, my H23 external coil had been mounted since the car first started a few months ago and, as I mentioned in an earlier post, the 4-pin connection on the H23 wire harness was still connected. Voltage goes in and out of the external coil on that 4-pin connection and then to my JDM internal-coil distributor. I don't know if this is why my JDM distributor quit working or not, but please let me know something if you have some experience with this. But, given how I set it up before, all I had to do was take out the three big bolts holding the distributor housing, directly replace with the old H23 distributor housing, and run the MAIN coil wire from the H23 distributor to the H23 external coil. This only guarantees that it starts now and revs fine. I will test drive it on a day when I have more time (and someone I can call).

My old EGR problem is posted in a new thread. Please consider this thread closed unless someone has something else to add.

--TJ

Modified by jdm_rb20 at 10:06 AM 6/19/2008