Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Prelude (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-prelude-4/)
-   -   92 prelude won't start (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-prelude-4/92-prelude-wont-start-3328768/)

Brieana 10-12-2018 11:36 AM

92 prelude won't start

I need help finding the starter relay on a 92 honda prelude. Ive done took the starter off and tested it, it works fine so i puy it back on and it still wont crank. So i put the key in the on position and used a screw driver to touch the terminals together on the starter and it cranks rite up. I hear a click under the driver side dash when i try to crank it but theres like 8 relays there and u can feel a click in 3 of the relays so im not sure what 1 i should pull. Any help would be much appreciated

Free Man 10-12-2018 03:03 PM

Re: 92 prelude won't start

Two questions, Has this car ever started properly since you’ve owned it? And Is it manual or auto?

Brieana 10-12-2018 05:32 PM

Yeah , it just started this morning . I started it 2 times then went to the store , went to leave and had to push start it . If i take a flat head screw driver to the starter it'll crank but when i turn the key it wont do anything . (All electronics in and outside the car get power. Jus does nothing when i try to crank)

Free Man 10-12-2018 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Brieana (Post 51752777)
Yeah , it just started this morning . I started it 2 times then went to the store , went to leave and had to push start it . If i take a flat head screw driver to the starter it'll crank but when i turn the key it wont do anything . (All electronics in and outside the car get power. Jus does nothing when i try to crank)

okay, Its still not clear, you started it twice with your key, Then it stopped working? Im going to assume since you push started it that you have a manual trans.

Brieana 10-13-2018 04:24 AM

Yes started it with my key twice and yes manual ( 5 speed )

Free Man 10-13-2018 08:22 AM

Okay got it. Sorry for all the questions but the info is needed in order to give advice. Does there seem to be any pattern to when your key works vs not working? Like does your key work on cold starts only? Or is it completely random?

Brieana 10-13-2018 08:33 AM

This is the first time they key is not working. Never had any issues with it starting till now all the sudden.

Brieana 10-13-2018 08:58 AM

It wont start if its cold or hot in the car i tried flipin the key and shakeing the key a lil and still nothing. But like i said everthing electronic in the car works fine everytime i turn the key so i think my switch itself is fine and ive checked all the fuses and even replaced fuses but still no crank from the key but fires up perfect everytime if i touch the terminals together on the starter. Thanks agian for any and all help.

Free Man 10-13-2018 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Brieana (Post 51753054)
It wont start if its cold or hot in the car i tried flipin the key and shakeing the key a lil and still nothing. But like i said everthing electronic in the car works fine everytime i turn the key so i think my switch itself is fine and ive checked all the fuses and even replaced fuses but still no crank from the key but fires up perfect everytime if i touch the terminals together on the starter. Thanks agian for any and all help.

do you have a multimeter?

Brieana 10-13-2018 01:18 PM

No but i got a test light

Free Man 10-13-2018 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Brieana (Post 51753210)
No but i got a test light

Well let me say that electrical problems are a pin in the arse. And I feel your pain. You should keep a good length of large gauge wire in you car to help you jump the starter untill you figure this out...You need a multimeter. It is strange that this issue is intermittent....

look at your battery connections first make sure they’re super tight and not corroded.

Next check ALL of your engine grounds. There should be like 4 or 5 of them. If even one of them is loose or corroded you will experience a no crank condition.

check your clutch pedal switch. Look for solid connection between the arm’s little rubber grommet and the switch. And make sure the switch mounted properly and is tight in place. if there’s any looseness, it could cause problems. You want to test the switch with a multimeter if the connection is good.

lastly check for continuity between your ignition switch in the steering column and your starter. You should work your way back from the starter. This is tedious work and requires the multimeter.

A good reputable mechanic familiar with older Honda’s might be able to diagnose your problem without breaking the bank.

Free Man 10-13-2018 08:34 PM

Sorry I forgot to mention that I don’t believe there is a relay between your key’s ignition switch, and the starter besides the clutch pedal switch. I may be wrong about this though.

JRCivic1 10-13-2018 08:37 PM

Are you hearing the starter relay actually click when you turn the key to start or could you be hearing the fuel pump relay click off after a few seconds of either turning the key to IGN2 or attempting to start the car ???

Free Man 10-13-2018 08:48 PM

Do you have an aftermarket stereo or alarm system installed?

Brieana 10-13-2018 10:32 PM

I think i may have found the problem but im wont be forsure until tomorrow mourning. After messing with the car all day i found a fuse labeled starter signal so i checked both sides of the fuse with my test light and neither side was geting power so then i checked both wires on the clutch pedal switch and also no power on either wire going to the plug. So that made me think that either theres a relay thats bad and not giving them power or my ignition switch is bad and not giving them power. So i search the web and found a diagram of my relays and if this diagram is right then i have a relay called starter cut so i pulled it and tried to find another relay on the car that matched but none of the other relays match. So im going to try to find a new relay tomorrow and see if it fixes it.

Brieana 10-13-2018 10:37 PM

And i cleaned all power and ground connections with a wire brush and yea it has a aftermarket radio and door and back window speackers but no amp or subs

Brieana 10-13-2018 10:43 PM

And the click is at exactly the same time the key hits the start position. And after i found the starter cut relay i did a lil more reseach about it and a website says that the starter cut relay being bad would prevent the clutch pedal switch and the starter signal fuse from geting power which would explain why i didnt get anything when i checked them with my test light. So im hoping ive found the problem i will kno in the mourning and check back in. Thanks agian for ur help

Free Man 10-14-2018 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by Brieana (Post 51753427)
And the click is at exactly the same time the key hits the start position. And after i found the starter cut relay i did a lil more reseach about it and a website says that the starter cut relay being bad would prevent the clutch pedal switch and the starter signal fuse from geting power which would explain why i didnt get anything when i checked them with my test light. So im hoping ive found the problem i will kno in the mourning and check back in. Thanks agian for ur help

good to know. And yeah, I saw the starter cut relay in the diagram but I figured that’s for killing the starter motor after successfully starting the car.... if there’s no power at the clutch switch, then bingo! That’s a great place to start tracing wires back to the ignition. I have an integra and I don’t believe there’s a starter cut relay so I can’t say whether that’s your problem or not. Good luck.

Free Man 10-14-2018 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Brieana (Post 51753426)
And i cleaned all power and ground connections with a wire brush and yea it has a aftermarket radio and door and back window speackers but no amp or subs

if the starter cut relay is not your problem, I would look into your radio wiring. Aftermarket radios often tend to be a cause of starting problems.

SnlpeR 10-14-2018 05:42 PM

check the button for the clutch pedal switch to see if it broke off

toki 10-15-2018 11:48 AM

I feel your pain, i have exactly the same problem with my H22A swapped "EG" coupe. I have a thread as well. I do know for a fact that EG Civics have a starter cut relay, Ive tested mine and everything else just like you. Ive had 2 reman starters, put a new solenoid into the 2nd one and then tried a junkyard starter. Same shit. Just clicks.

Brieana 10-15-2018 05:23 PM

Figured out the problem for it. It's the ignition switch or the wiring for it . So I'm just gonna make it a push start . I got the wires done so if i touch the wires it starts like hotwiring literally but getting a button soon to just make it push to start.

Free Man 10-16-2018 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Brieana (Post 51754707)
Figured out the problem for it. It's the ignition switch or the wiring for it . So I'm just gonna make it a push start . I got the wires done so if i touch the wires it starts like hotwiring literally but getting a button soon to just make it push to start.

nice job. I was having a hard time imagining that relay giving you problems..... the push start will add some 😎 to your lude. Good luck!

Brieana 10-16-2018 10:33 AM

It was a bitch to get out bc its all under the steering wheel !!!! But got the button and its becoming a push start today !! Bc it's a bitch to even get to the wiring for the ignition and too much money to replace the ignition as it is so why not do the cheapest and easiest way to fix the problem lmao

Free Man 10-16-2018 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Brieana (Post 51755328)
It was a bitch to get out bc its all under the steering wheel !!!! But got the button and its becoming a push start today !! Bc it's a bitch to even get to the wiring for the ignition and too much money to replace the ignition as it is so why not do the cheapest and easiest way to fix the problem lmao

you should takes some step by step pics while you’re working and share the knowledge!