Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

92 prelude power loss?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 prelude power loss?

92 prelude/f22a1 5 speed
It happens after I start up the car, ill wait and let it warm up, after that I start driving, a couple or so min after more warming up the speedometer will just jump back and forth as I accelerate. However I let my foot off the gas and it goes normal again. Then I also noticed that if I drive at night there is no power loss at all, so I figured it had to do with the headlights being on, so I turned on the head lights during the day and no power loss for somreason. Im not throwing a check light or anything. Other than that
Prior to this problem I have another problem too my cars battery would die constantly due to the cooling fan starting up and draining it after the car was off. In the end I had to take out the cooling fan relay to stop it, and so far my cars battery has been able to crank fine. I dont have any clue why really
Ive changed the igntion coil, distributor, new spark plug wires, new main relay, new sparkplugs, ive tried 3 diff cooling fan relays, I dont have a/c or power steering hooked up, I have a smaller diameter lightwieght crank pully I installed too, but Idk that could be the problem.
I pretty sure its somethin electrical, maybe alternator? I had that checked recently( ill check again)
Maybe the cooling fan itself? I replaced it with a cheap ebay one from taiwan. Could be Reason why it turns on after car is off?
Thermostat? I replaced that too
I need to be pointed In the right direction with this,
The cooling fan thing has bugged me for a while.
Now I feel the power loss is steming from it....idk
If anyones had this problem lead me in the right direction please.
I love my lude
Old 02-23-2014, 10:50 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 92 prelude power loss?

It sounds like the speed sensor is going bad. As it does, it will intermittently work and not work. Check for stored codes. The code 17 might be in there.