Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

5th gen Rack indecision (Rebuilt vs New)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5th gen Rack indecision (Rebuilt vs New)

Hey Honda-tech. My 2001 Prelude's steering rack was damaged somehow, so mechanic put a Maval Rebuilt rack in my car. It feels like ****. There's an inch of play, it feels heavier, feels different across the times of day, and the steering wheel doesn't smoothly return to it's position. It's a complete downgrade from my old "damaged" one. The mechanic tried to adjust the wheel return, but he just made it return faster, not smoother.

I got a second opinion from a reputable Honda mechanic (Jason's Honda in Tujunga, CA) and he said that it was the rebuilt rack causing this issue. So instead of dealing with the warranty for this rack I bought, I am going to get a different rack. I don't think they deserve another chance.

Anyway I have two options, a brand new rack from Majestic Honda (53601-S30-A02) or another rebuilt rack except this time directly from Majestic Honda (American Showa, 53601-S30-A02RM). My other friend who is a competent mechanic said that all rebuilt racks will never feel as good as a new one, and that the tolerances will be on the edge of the spec for how it's suppose to feel (heavier-feeling than a new one, for example). Basically there's a conflict with what he's saying and what Honda guarantees...that it's built to the exact same standards as a new one.

So I guess what i'm leading up to ask is...have any of you bought a rebuilt steering rack straight from Honda and had it feel exactly as good as the car's old rack in it's prime? Or the only way I can get the car feeling back to how it use to is by buying a brand new one for hundreds more? Please let me know, all opinions and experiences are welcome.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: 5th gen Rack indecision (Rebuilt vs New)

Originally Posted by blude
Hey Honda-tech. My 2001 Prelude's steering rack was damaged somehow, so mechanic put a Maval Rebuilt rack in my car. It feels like ****. There's an inch of play, it feels heavier, feels different across the times of day, and the steering wheel doesn't smoothly return to it's position. It's a complete downgrade from my old "damaged" one. The mechanic tried to adjust the wheel return, but he just made it return faster, not smoother.

I got a second opinion from a reputable Honda mechanic (Jason's Honda in Tujunga, CA) and he said that it was the rebuilt rack causing this issue. So instead of dealing with the warranty for this rack I bought, I am going to get a different rack. I don't think they deserve another chance.

Anyway I have two options, a brand new rack from Majestic Honda (53601-S30-A02) or another rebuilt rack except this time directly from Majestic Honda (American Showa, 53601-S30-A02RM). My other friend who is a competent mechanic said that all rebuilt racks will never feel as good as a new one, and that the tolerances will be on the edge of the spec for how it's suppose to feel (heavier-feeling than a new one, for example). Basically there's a conflict with what he's saying and what Honda guarantees...that it's built to the exact same standards as a new one.

So I guess what i'm leading up to ask is...have any of you bought a rebuilt steering rack straight from Honda and had it feel exactly as good as the car's old rack in it's prime? Or the only way I can get the car feeling back to how it use to is by buying a brand new one for hundreds more? Please let me know, all opinions and experiences are welcome.
Reman racks are generally junk, but it has little to do with the mechanical aspects of the rack. Remans are not rebuilt mechanically, they are cleaned, checked over for damage and all of the seals are replaced. Problem is the replacement seals are usually cheap or installed incorrectly and they end up leaking again. many times the rack is also reassembled incorrectly or the preload is set incorrectly. Cheap labor, what do you expect. The first rack you put in was junk, period. There should have been no difference in feel.

Your competent mechanic friend is incompetent. Remaned dealer parts are the industrys best kept secret. Many people (even "mechanics") dont kow that dealers sell remaned parts, everything from racks to axels.(Not all dealers) And they are top notch quality. Only OEM parts are used to rebuild the parts and are done so by cheap laborers who are building the same manufactures parts over and over again, so they at the very least have experience with the parts they are assembling.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First try adjusting the rack guide in this one to Honda's spec. Inch of play and sloppy return to center indicates improper guide adjustment and it's a common issue with reman's from what I've seen in others' cars. If that fails look for a used rack, honda racks rarely fail. There are a number of people parting out cars on preludeonline.

The Honda reman is cheaper than I thought it'd be though, the part# you gave is $286 from Majestic. Guaranteed to be good considering it's reman'd by the OE supplier. Make sure you get the right one, Base and SH have different racks.
Attached Images  
Old 10-21-2011, 02:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright guys, thanks for the help. I'll show the mechanic that angle adjustment and if not, I can feel comfortable about purchasing a remanufactured rack directly from Honda.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can't go wrong with anything from Honda. Always going to be the best replacement parts.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I installed a rebuilt rack on my 01 sh about a year ago. It was a touch job but it worked fine. It required a bit more steering force. But I attributed that to it being new and not broke in yet.

It sounds like either your mechanic did not install it by the book or it is faulty. Before dropping more $ on another unit I would troubleshoot the one you have.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by integra15
I installed a rebuilt rack on my 01 sh about a year ago. It was a touch job but it worked fine. It required a bit more steering force. But I attributed that to it being new and not broke in yet.

It sounds like either your mechanic did not install it by the book or it is faulty. Before dropping more $ on another unit I would troubleshoot the one you have.
Did the rebuilt rack eventually break in and start feeling silky smooth like my first one and possibly yours [in the beginning]?

And yeah, it sure seems like he doesn't pay attention to details and doesn't have all the tools to measure certain things. I trusted him because 1. He owns a lude and 2. He was competent enough to do a 5 speed swap on his lude and install my replacement engine in half a day.

But even the reputable mechanic, Jason from Jason's Honda (any one in socal has heard of this guy, he knows his ****) said the rack itself seems to be at fault and didn't mention any of the possible adjustments. Lately the steering has felt very slightly lighter, but still doesn't return properly and has the inch of play in the steering wheel (feels sloshy or something) So I guess I have to have the dealership look at the adjustment?
Old 10-23-2011, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did the rebuilt rack eventually break in and start feeling silky smooth like my first one and possibly yours [in the beginning]?

And yeah, it sure seems like he doesn't pay attention to details and doesn't have all the tools to measure certain things. I trusted him because 1. He owns a lude and 2. He was competent enough to do a 5 speed swap on his lude and install my replacement engine in half a day.

But even the reputable mechanic, Jason from Jason's Honda (any one in socal has heard of this guy, he knows his ****) said the rack itself seems to be at fault and didn't mention any of the possible adjustments. Lately the steering has felt very slightly lighter, but still doesn't return properly and has the inch of play in the steering wheel (feels sloshy or something) So I guess I have to have the dealership look at the adjustment?
Return-ability is either the rack or your caster angles on the vehicle. If you did not have a problem with the wheel returning to center prior to installing the rack, then it is likely the fault. I have never heard of Jasons Honda, but I am not in the Valley. If he is really good, why not take the car their to get it serviced?
Old 10-23-2011, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DCFIVER
Return-ability is either the rack or your caster angles on the vehicle. If you did not have a problem with the wheel returning to center prior to installing the rack, then it is likely the fault. I have never heard of Jasons Honda, but I am not in the Valley. If he is really good, why not take the car their to get it serviced?
It must be the rack then, it worked fine before. He's really good but pricey as ****. If I know it's the rack, then getting it installed by him would cost a lot of money when this mechanic will install the next one for free.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE:

I got the rack installed, and the feel of the steering wheel seems back to normal. I can't fully tell because the lower balljoints need replaced. Man, for what should have been warranty work, I was charged $150. I don't think this is fair, especially since the car was normal before he put the junk rebuilt rack in, a needless hole was drilled into my exhaust bolt because it wouldn't come loose, he wanted to put transmission fluid to top off the power steering fluid, something fell off on the freeway from under the car, the ABS light is now on and my car wobbles when I brake. I said i'd pay him next time when he installed the ball joint...but I was told by my mechanic friend not to even bother anymore.

Last edited by blude; 11-13-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE:

I got the rack installed, and the feel of the steering wheel seems back to normal. I can't fully tell because the lower balljoints need replaced. Man, for what should have been warranty work, I was charged $150. I don't think this is fair, especially since the car was normal before he put the junk rebuilt rack in, a needless hole was drilled into my exhaust bolt because it wouldn't come loose, he wanted to put transmission fluid to top off the power steering fluid, something fell off on the freeway from under the car, the ABS light is now on and my car wobbles when I brake. I said i'd pay him next time when he installed the ball joint...but I was told by my mechanic friend not to even bother anymore.
Hence the reason you pay top dollar at a good shop....
Old 12-10-2011, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh what a nightmare. So anyway I went to get the car aligned and he said that the rack was installed incorrectly, so my steering wheel was stuck sideways. I finally get it fixed $150 later from a professional and conclude that the new rack returns much better and smoother, but like integra15 says...a new rack is gonna feel tighter and heavier. I experience this in slow speed and I kind of miss how my car use to feel. Oh well, at least I saved $400. Moral of the story, rebuilt racks...even Honda approved...are NEVER as good as new racks and if you want your car to feel how it use to if SOMEHOW your rack fails, buy a new one or used one with low miles.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump from the dead -- same experience here regarding rebuilt rack. i got showa reman rack from majestic honda and it is solid and reliable but stiff, especially at slow speed.

my rotator cuff is jacked as well, so, i am considering buying brand new '01 integra rack and hope that is easier, smoother and feels like new. i dig my "worlds most expensive stock 95 civic ex coupe" and want to keep it, but i need my shoulder as well

i dont really know what the do when they rebuild these racks ( or the steering pumps) other than o-rings, and seals. for example, i disassembled a showa rebuilt steering pump after taking it to shop because it was slightly low pressure output and noticed that the pressure relief/flow control valve was a bit scored. could have been from install admittedly. like someone said maybe they check pressures and such but if they barely pass ( or not ? ) it's called good.