Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

5TH gen prelude limp mode helpp!

Old 09-01-2013, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5TH gen prelude limp mode helpp!

I have read a lot of these forums and yet to make my own. I have a 1997 prelude h224 motor which has recently went in to limp mode (wont rev past 3 grand). I had a CEL for 02 sensor and knock sensor I fixed the both and reset my ecu this shut the CEL off but did not fix limp mode. even thou I had no CEL I jumped my harness and got code 0 (or bad ecu).

I realize this means I must replace my ecu but in the future id like to run a p28 on hondata s300 so my real question is should I
A) get a p5m obd 2 ecu and get the immo work around (to see if the limp mode is cured or if it throws a new code)
B) get a p72 obd2 ecu (being cheaper then a p5m with the immo chip or if this is not the cause of limp mode will it not throw a proper code for what's causing the limp mode)
C) get a p72, p28 or p13 chipped for a h22a4 base map or again will it not throw a code if its not just the ecu causing the limp mode
or D) get a virgin p72, p28 or p13 to see if the car will start and run on the ecu with out limp mode before getting it tuned on s300

any help would be greatly appreciated also wondering what could cause my ecu to go bad could it be a bad ground wire and if so what test should be done to see the fault of the ecu going bad again any help would be greatttly appreciated
Old 09-01-2013, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: 5TH gen prelude limp mode helpp!

do not attempt to start your car using any ecu besides the stock ecu, or a tuneable ecu with a basemap already loaded onto it. you can and will damage your engine if you use any other ecu, or any other mapping for a different engine.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

okay first off thank you for the reply... now with that being said if I put in a obd 1 ecu with a base map for my motor can i still check my cels throu the service connector? and if so will I be able to see my full range of cel codes or will the ecu swap affect my ability to see that......and do I need a virgin obd 1 ecu to put hondata s300 on it?

also would the 96 obd 2 p13 run my motor with full range of cel codes (me having a h22a4)

thanks again for any replies
Old 09-02-2013, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by stc876
okay first off thank you for the reply... now with that being said:
1) if I put in a obd 1 ecu with a base map for my motor can i still check my cels throu the service connector?
2) and if so will I be able to see my full range of cel codes or will the ecu swap affect my ability to see that......and
3) do I need a virgin obd 1 ecu to put hondata s300 on it?
4) would the 96 obd 2 p13 run my motor with full range of cel codes (me having a h22a4)

thanks again for any replies
1) yes, but it will be obd1 codes, standard 2-digit codes
2) see #1
3) it is preferred, makes it much easier to install. you can use a chipped ecu, but then the chip socket and datalog socket need to be removed, which needs to be done by someone who really knows what they are doing or it can damage the ecu.
4) yes. if you have a stock engine setup, an obd2 p13 is your best bet for an ecu, because I'm assuming your car is obd2, and the a4 is an obd2 engine
Old 09-02-2013, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by motoxxxman
3) it is preferred, makes it much easier to install. you can use a chipped ecu, but then the chip socket and datalog socket need to be removed, which needs to be done by someone who really knows what they are doing or it can damage the ecu.
4) yes. if you have a stock engine setup, an obd2 p13 is your best bet for an ecu, because I'm assuming your car is obd2, and the a4 is an obd2 engine
okay thanks again lots of good information so with that being said would it be cheaper for me to get the chip socket and datalog socket removed when I know the ecu was the only cause of the limp mode and go get hondata OR cheaper to buy a $300 obd2 p13 ecu only to buy a obd1 virgin ecu when I am certain the ecu was the only cause of the limp mode
Old 09-02-2013, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if your current ecu is a chipped ecu, and you are getting a code 0, do not use that ecu for hondata, it can damage the s300 unit.

if you want hondata, just go for it and get an ecu to install hondata in. if you want a stock ecu for a while, just get a stock obd2 p13. the cheapest will be the one you really want, not both lol
Old 09-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha very true it makes sense I just wanted to be sure the obd 1 had the ability to help me through limp mode if it was more then just the ecu im ordering a p28 with a base map and conversion harness tonight