Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

5th Gen Prelude 1997... 3 problems in the last 48 hours...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5th Gen Prelude 1997... 3 problems in the last 48 hours...

In the last 48 hours...

My ABS light lit up and won't go away.

My Climate control is not responding at all... A/C, heater, defroster, nothing will turn on. Before that, would turn on and A/C would blow cold. Will still light up with interior illumination.

Radiator fans...

OK... this whole summer, I would not use my A/C because the car would get hot at idle. Am I correct in that the driver's side fan is the condenser fan? The passenger side fan is the regular fan? The divers side fan would come on if I turned on the AC, but the passenger side fan seems like it never comes on.

Well... all of this time the temp gauge will never go past 1/3 of the way, unless I turned on the AC and sat at idle for too long...

But tonight waiting in Taco Bell's drive through, my car's temp started climbing to 2/3 the way up... no A/C... first time it has done it...

granted... I live in Phoenix, and the temps are rising again.

But... just now I went out and started it... let it idle in park for 20 mins and temp gauge stood at 1/3.

Are all of these problems related?

Is there any fuses for the climate control?

Can I assume that since the condenser fan has been working the it's not the cooling fan relay and it's the radiator fan itself? (The condenser and cooling fan fuses near the relay are fine.)

Also pulled the ABS B fuse for 15 seconds like I have read, but the ABS light has stayed... unless I am doing it wrong.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 5th Gen Prelude 1997... 3 problems in the last 48 hours...

You might have a bad thermostat. That can cause your car to get hot really quick. Let it go to long and you might have to replace your head gasket. Have you checked your radiator lately? Check and see if your radiator is clogged to. That can cause it to get hot at idle due to lack of cool air when going down the freeway, road, etc.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not positive but there should be 2 fan relays. After driving around and then stopping is when you need your radiator fan to kick on or the call will heat up. Also could be a bad thermostat. It sounds like your light fan and cc issue are all electrical related. Probably a junction box issue.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:18 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When you start the car, check if the radiator hose that goes from the back of the engine to the bottom of the radiator gets hot. It should get hot before your car overheats. If it does not, then you need a new OEM Honda thermostat. Do NOT buy one from the parts stores as they don't have the failsafe that Honda thermostats have. If it gets hot, then see if the fan comes on. If it doesn't, then, with the ignition switch on, but the car off, use a test lead to jump the connector for the fan switch( just take it off the fan switch)that is on the thermostat body near the end of that same radiator hose at the back of the engine. If it turns on, then the fan switch is bad. If it doesn't turn on then the fan motor is bad.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok... I checked the fan... fan is dead... will not spin even with connected to battery. Got one coming from eBay.

About the other problems.

I have found a few threads online where people had their ABS light come one and climate control stop working at the same time but no one has ever posted a solution! Kind of weird that this problem has happened to several people with no answer.

http://www.preludepower.com/forums/s...d.php?t=318906

http://www.preludezone.com/5th-gen-h...ntrol-fog.html
Old 09-04-2012, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

pull the ABS code its giving you, jump the connection under the pass side glove box against the middle, turn ignition on, but not start....

count the codes its giving you, the abs light will blink a 2 # code, first numbers are long blinks, then fast ones......

Ex..

after the jumping: blinnnnk, blinnnnk, blink, blink, blink....... 23

not sure if thats a real code that will come up, but thats the idea

P.S I really hope this applies to the 97 Lude also, i have a 2001, id hate to give out bad info, just trying to help
Old 09-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

only reason i know is mine is also on, threw out 3 or 4 different codes, but it doesnt bother me, the light being on bothers me more...lol
Old 09-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok... feel like a dummy...

I tried jumping the connector under the dash for ABS codes and the light did not flash at all. It was unresponsive.

So I checked the interior fuses again...

A 7.5 fuse on the top row (2nd slot) for ATT, ABS and something else...

It was popped. Replaced and ABS light turned off and climate control started working again!

I could have sworn I checked all of those fuses!

Thanks for all of your help guys!
Old 09-09-2012, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TenEightyPee
Ok... feel like a dummy...

I tried jumping the connector under the dash for ABS codes and the light did not flash at all. It was unresponsive.

So I checked the interior fuses again...

A 7.5 fuse on the top row (2nd slot) for ATT, ABS and something else...

It was popped. Replaced and ABS light turned off and climate control started working again!

I could have sworn I checked all of those fuses!

Thanks for all of your help guys!
Glad to see you fixed it.