5th Gen Front End Noise!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Default 5th Gen Front End Noise!

2001 Prelude Base 5spd 115k

THE NOISE:
It sounds like a clunk, it is coming from the drivers side but I do hear the same noise but less pronounced, from the passenger's side as well.
It is hard to pin point but it sounds like it "sorta" clunks down near the floor but at the same time I can sense some of the vibration in what seems to be the spring area or upper shock tower.
The noises are pretty loud and sound like they're coming from something with like a good centimeter or so of play.
It's only under certain loads (mainly under a semi-loaded hit), both steering angle and type of bump seem to effect it. Its not there on every bump. Aside from the semi often hit of the noise the suspension works and sounds 100%
The noise isn't from the steering, at least there is no play or noise on the dry park test.

-New Steering Rack
-New Inner and Outter Tie Rods
-New Lower Ball Joints
-Checked the Wheel Bearings
-Checked Radius Rod Bushings
-Checked LCA Bushings
-Checked UCA Bushings and Balljoint
-Checked Sway Bar Mounting Bushings
-Checked Sway Bar End Links
-Checked Caliper and Hardware
-Checked all bolts/nuts (including the sub-frame)

The latest thing i've tried:
I jacked up the driver's front corner so the wheel was a few inches off the ground and used a massive prybar to apply upwards force on the wheel/tire and then released the load. I am getting the exact noise im hearing from the shock when the suspension is fully extended, like right as the shock hits maximun extension, (which to my knowledge is actually completely normal) Also, the shock is leaking slightly. The thing is, when Im hearing this noise while driving/ hitting bumps... there is no way my suspension/drivers wheel is fully extended, theyre just not bumps that big. I had trouble compressing the suspension with the prybar but it really only seemed to make noise when hitting full extention, so where is this freaking noise comming from?! Again, it sounds just like a full apprupt extenstion of the shock.

Any help or input from experience is greatly appreciated,

Thanks
Old 04-29-2017, 12:34 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 5th Gen Front End Noise!

my guess is the lower control arm bushings, they become very spongy and even though they don't look cracked they allow for excessive movement/clunking
Old 05-01-2017, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the struts are leaking, replace them. If they aren't sealing properly anymore, they can make all kinds of different noises (even while extended). The top strut mounts could also have play in them.

Last edited by 1992BB2; 08-11-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 1992BB2
If the struts are leaking, replace them. If they aren't sealing properly anymore, they can make all kinds of different noises (even while extended). The top strut bearings could also have play in them.
I'm planning on buying a set of Tein Street Flex coilovers soon, that will eliminate the shocks as a possibility. I will check the upper mounts better because the sound is comming from that area, I know the hardware is tight and the noise isnt there on all bumps so its not likely but I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Its just so weird that the sound is so much like the shock reaching its full extension. It does it on bumps that certainly arent creating a full extension of the suspension either. Could it be that the leaking seals on the shocks are allowing air into the upper side of the shock resivoir and upon a minimal load, quick extension of the shock that there is either a air or hydrolock scenerio causing the noise? Thats all I can think of, I've checked everything else on the car.