Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

5th Gen Dies occasionally in when shifted into Nuetral or at a light

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5th Gen Dies occasionally in when shifted into Nuetral or at a light

Occasionally, my car will die in certain situations. Sometimes when I shift into nuetral to reduce speed when approaching an intersection or toll. The car will just die and all the dash lights come on. Also sometimes when I'm stopped at a light, the idle will drop down and come back up again and die some of the time.

I thought it might have been the battery since it seemed to happen when blasting the heat, but I just had it replaced two days ago, and it still happens. I also recently replaced the ignition module, ignition coil, spark plug wires, dist cap/rotor (all MSD), so I thought it might be the alternator. The car drives smooth and performs great, it just cuts out on me occasionally, never stalled on me while in gear/in motion, only seems to be when I'm stopped or in neutral. I also tested the alternator and thats fine too.

And very seldomly, when I start the car and its freezing outside, the idle bounces up and down for a few seconds, but this doesn't happen often.

Any thoughts? I just ordered an ignition coil to have that replaced but I don't think thats the problem.

flyingv
Old 02-20-2007, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 5th Gen Dies occasionally in when shifted into Nuetral or at a light (flyingv)

sounds like you need to adjust your idle screw or at least did you try that first before you changed everything?
Old 02-20-2007, 09:50 AM

Default Re: 5th Gen Dies occasionally in when shifted into Nuetral or at a light (alterdcreations)

No I have not tried adjusting the idle screw, I actually replaced everything else to solve a few other issues I was having (which worked), I also felt like replacing the battery since it has been quite some time anyways. The only issue I was left with was the car dying.

Adjusting the idle screw doesn't seem like a bad idea. Is this something I should try to do myself? I think I've heard others ward against it. The idea would be to increase the idle?

Thanks for your reply BTW.

flyingv
Old 02-20-2007, 09:52 AM

try cleaning out the iacv. it can get quite clogged up and cause idle issues
Old 02-20-2007, 09:54 AM

Default Re: (redtop22)

I actually had that done since a lot of people mention that... (Cleaning out the IACV)

flyingv

Modified by flyingv at 12:13 PM 2/20/2007
Old 02-20-2007, 09:56 AM
BlownH23a

i had the same prob on my h23, i just bought a new iacv...i think cleaning my old one would have done the same thing.