Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

4WS and suspension..

Old 02-21-2005, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4WS and suspension..

Car: 1992 Honda Prelude 4WS

Just had a question for you suspension people.. I hope this makes sense.. coming soft out of a corner today, i noticed that at a certain point, my car will very slightly jerk out of the body roll as if suddenly i straightened the wheel to make a wider turn. this isn't the first time i've felt this.

It seems like at a certain point on it's lateral roll axis, coming out of a turn, the car will shift suddenly to a flatter stance while making it seem like there is more lateral force to the outside. (almost like bump steer, but not at all bump steer). I don't like it when it does this because, at the limit, it could be enough to send the car sideways on a long sweeper.

i know many of you aren't experts on 4WS, but could it be possible that this is from the rear wheels realigning themselves to the straight position again, or is it something that might be caused by worn bushings?

i guess the question i'm asking is, has anybody experienced this in a non-4WS car? what was the cause? how'd you fix it? does this even make sense to anyone?
Old 02-21-2005, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: 4WS and suspension.. (prelewd)

Was your 4WS light on at the time?
Old 02-21-2005, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4WS and suspension.. (AndyD)

No, 4WS was working fine..
Old 02-21-2005, 03:19 PM

If your 4 ws light hasn't switched on then the system should be still working correctly (assuming bulb is good), in anycase if the 4ws does malfunction the rear steering actuator is designed so that it slowly returns the rear wheels to the straight ahead locked position, to avoid that sudden twitch at the rear end taking place. Can't help you with the other possible causes but I would have a good check around suspension components and bushings.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:28 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prelewd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Car: 1992 Honda Prelude 4WS
i know many of you aren't experts on 4WS,</TD></TR></TABLE>
Well thats not very nice . I never have experienced what you are talking about in my non-4ws 4th gen nor did I ever experience it in my 3rd gen 4ws. I would def. check for possible codes your ecu might be throwing.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: 4WS and suspension.. (britishlude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by britishlude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> in anycase if the 4ws does malfunction the rear steering actuator is designed so that it slowly returns the rear wheels to the straight ahead locked position, to avoid that sudden twitch at the rear end taking place. </TD></TR></TABLE>

In theory, yes. In practice, not all the time. I am a PRIME example of it NOT locking. My car becomes VERY dangerous when the 4WS doesn't work.

As for the twitch, I am not sure what's causing it. I track my 4WS (obviously only when the system is working) and I have NO issues with the performance at all. Also, remember, the rear wheels do not turn as much as they do at lower speeds. The rear wheels don't all of the sudden move when the system works, unless there is a problem.

Check to see if your 4WS light works. Pull the 4WS fuse and see if the light lights up.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4WS and suspension.. (AndyD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AndyD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

In theory, yes. In practice, not all the time. I am a PRIME example of it NOT locking. My car becomes VERY dangerous when the 4WS doesn't work.

Check to see if your 4WS light works. Pull the 4WS fuse and see if the light lights up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

When my 4WS isn't working, the light is on.. I know it is working for sure. When it's not, it tracks all over the place just like yours does. I know the feeling of being on the freeway and having your car pulled all over the place by the ruts in the road.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:42 AM
Fortune Cookie Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prelewd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

When my 4WS isn't working, the light is on.. I know it is working for sure. When it's not, it tracks all over the place just like yours does. I know the feeling of being on the freeway and having your car pulled all over the place by the ruts in the road.</TD></TR></TABLE>

damn... good thing mine doesnt do that or i would be more inclined to fix it
Old 02-22-2005, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4WS and suspension.. (crdcz03)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crdcz03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

damn... good thing mine doesnt do that or i would be more inclined to fix it </TD></TR></TABLE>

I would be more inclined to fix it if i didn't just have to turn my car off and then on again to make the 4WS work. Then there's the money part of replacing parts too..

I'm about to fix it by just selling it and buying something else..