Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

4ws error codes - What next??

Old 06-27-2005, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: 4ws error codes - What next?? (iluded-vtir)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iluded-vtir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How uz all going? i got a 94 lude vtir, andd i got a problem with the 4ws. when i reset my ecu, it works for a good 3 or 4 hours, and then the 4ws light comes back on. as long as i keep resetting it, it keeps working? any ideas? replies appreciated</TD></TR></TABLE>

Pullt he 4WS ECU and try resoldering the two relays. If that doesn't work, get another ECU, preferrably from a 93-94 4WS.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 4ws error codes - What next?? (AndyD)

andy as u can tell, im a noob. lol i pulled off my back seats, and tried 2 find the ecu, but i had no idea what 2 take off next. lol do u have any photos of where 2 unscrew?
Old 06-27-2005, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4ws error codes - What next?? (iluded-vtir)

you only have to remove the left hand (driver side in US) rear seat. at that point you should be able to see the 4ws ECU, (refer to photo's above for reference) although it's actually in the trunk, you can just see it- and have access to its attachment points thru the rear passenger area.

I can't remember how many bolts attached it, or the tin **** guard that packages it, but search the perifery of the 4ws unit, and remove any 10mm bolt you see heh. if you have the trunk open, and remove the back wall trunk liner you'll have better light - it's also wise to disconnect all the wires going to the ecu before you start trying to yard it out. and before everything disconnect your battery.
just don't force anything, and systematically begin removing bolts - it really should become obvious which have to become removed and which don't...
Old 06-27-2005, 10:06 PM

Default Re: 4ws error codes - What next?? (Altilude)

It is over a year now that it has been done in my case after founding the problem's source and is still working without any trouble

By the way I saw my solution even on some australian prelude page

And I am not an electronical at all

The only remark I can give is still to remember that resoldering these relays is not a solution to all 4WS problems - it has been just about code 62..... don't forget it.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:54 AM

Default Re: 4ws error codes - What next?? (wstef)

thanx felllas....i think im gonna get my mate to do it....he knows more about this **** then me. i was thinking about take it into honda, but they'd charge me an arm and a leg. it just ***** me how it works when i reset to ecu, and then all of a sudden it stops working.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:56 PM

wstef. great job man. i just did it last night and it runs like a beauty.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:06 AM

Default Re: (Altilude)

guys, this is gonna sound really stupid.....but when i pull of my backseats there aint no comp. what else do i need 2 unscrew? any1 got ne pics? cheers
Old 07-20-2005, 10:09 AM

Default Re: (Altilude)

hello
thanks your pictures.
same problems in my lude-92.
error code 62
i checked my box.
i fixed same things.
it works jiiihaaa....................................

ter: ripa from finland.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:50 AM

Default Re: (ripakinttu)

ok heres the story.... the 4WS light appears, but after disconnecting/reconnecting battery, it goes off (4ws working) for 1 or 2 journeys then returns. I know the soldering fix wasn't the solution to everyones problem but I gave it ago with my fingers crossed.

The relay soldering points seemed slightly cracked on about 3 of them, am pretty sure I made a good soldering seal, looked all tidy. However after 1 day the light is back.

Can anyone tell me what to try next? If i know what error code is thrown I know what the problem might be, correct? help me!
Cheers
Pez
Old 01-09-2006, 05:45 AM
fzr

Default Re: (pez1)

I've had 4WS problems with my lude since I bought it over a year ago. It would intermittently disable itself on starting the car, and driving without it was not good (and ate tyres too). I was getting really quite worried about it, until I found an amazingly simple thing:

It only fails if I turn left after starting the car! This seems to happen only if my first turn after starting the car is to the left - I don't pull away while the system is doing the self test. A brief turn to the right for a few seconds and I can then turn left with no problem!

Fortunately I live in the UK so more often than not I pull away to the right, but if I have to turn left, I turn right and reverse first, all OK apart from a few funny looks in car parks!

I checked the error code a while ago (after learning all about that cleaning my EGR valve). It took me a while to actually get the light to come on (typical) but when it did it I got a code #22 (IIRC). I don't see any point in spending any time diagnosing this any further for now, as (with a few odd moments) the light hasn't come on for months.

So, if you have similar problems experinent with only turning left or right - I'd love to know if anyone else has this problem!
Old 01-09-2006, 03:32 PM

Default Re: (fzr)

by turning left do you mean turning left at all when you start? or say at a junction or turning out of a road.

thinking about it the last time i got the error light , after soldering fix.... it was fine the first day, then i turned left out of my road, the light came on!!! can't confirm this is the same problem, but I will def try it .

a brief turn to the right first, then can turn left.....do you mean the car can be stationary or has to be moving & turn right?

btw how do i find the error code?
Old 01-10-2006, 01:51 AM
fzr

It's if I make my first turn after starting the car to the left. If I pull away slowly to the right, or drive forwards to the right and then reverse and pull away to the left, all is well. After that, the system is fine until I start the car again. The habit is so ingrained now that the only time I get it wrong is if I stall the car, then I hit the ignition again and forget my little routine- bingo, 4WS light comes on.

Just do the normal CEL error code procedure - the 4WS light will blink the code(s), followed by a long period of (uncountable) rapid blinking for the alignment procedure.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:30 PM

hey guys, i have a 92 si 4ws, i am getting 3 codes when i connect the plug under my dash, one of them blinks so fast i can hardly count, i am a tech at a body shop, and i am guessing my 4ws doesnt work caus the light is on, but im not even sure how to tell. my lude is covered up for the winter but i think i am ganna try to sodder those relays when i get her back on the road, that might take care of one of my problems,

ALSO i moved my 4ws computer to be able to have a rear upper strut bar, i mounted it on a piece of wood where the spare tire goes, i took wire and grounded the computer, but im not sure if i really shouldnt have done that and it could be ****** my system up, im sure my relays are lose from me moving the computer around, but does anyone know if the posistion of the computer effects the system?

u guys are my heros we are ganna get through this 4ws problem togehter haha
Old 01-12-2006, 05:33 PM

Default Re: (bburtonsk8r2)

can someone post a list of the 4ws codes?? or let me know where they already are, dont mean to be a pain, but i cant find them anywhere and it would help, i appreciate it. and i was just reading the post before mine, the fast blinking of the 4ws light is for alignment purpose??? we have an alignment machine at my work and i know i have positive camber, would that be why it blinks
Old 01-13-2006, 06:37 AM
fzr

Default Re: (bburtonsk8r2)

You can get lots of useful stuff from icelord.net - here's the 4th gen manuals:

http://honda.icelord.net/downl...e%204/

The section on 4WS details the codes, diagnosis flowcharts & alignment procedure.

Good luck!

Anyone with bad 4WS tried "turn right after starting" yet?
Old 01-13-2006, 04:34 PM

Default Re: (fzr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fzr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can get lots of useful stuff from icelord.net - here's the 4th gen manuals:

http://honda.icelord.net/downl...e%204/

The section on 4WS details the codes, diagnosis flowcharts & alignment procedure.

Good luck!

Anyone with bad 4WS tried "turn right after starting" yet?</TD></TR></TABLE>

you know what! I (may) have the turning left syndrome.... 4ws working fine for 2 days after battery reset, then I parked into a bay, had to reverse out and drive in left direction, light came on!! but i can't confirm this is the reason yet. I am stuck on how to turn right all the time, if I get the hang of it, could diagnose it as being the solution. Just say I drive forward into a parking bay, then I need to reverse the back of car out to the right, so I can drive off in left (of the bay), how would you do this if you need to move slowly to the right first.

when you said turn right after starting, can that be in reverse? or has to be straight for you. both times the light have come on I seem to remember turning left, then it icomes on straight away, so might have the same problem!.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:53 PM

i think i may have experienced this, and cant wait to try again, caus i got my light off and then it came back on after a while.

HEY GUYS i just checked my light and im getting code 24, has anyone encountered this before, i looked on the manual and it says 4ws computer and front sensor or something, could this be because i moved my computer u think? i guess i should be able to put the computer back and figure it out, just seein if anyone else had code 24 and knew what was up
Old 01-16-2006, 06:42 AM
fzr

I reverse to the right if I have to, then drive forward to the right and then usually it's OK. Try and make it a reasonably hard turn - just so you can be sure. Also, don't release the handbrake or pull away until the 4WS light has flicked off after the self-test.

I can't wait to see another Prelude faffing about on a garage forecourt or in a carpark trying this out!
Old 01-16-2006, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shouldn't yuou use one of those "grounding bracelets computer tech's wear when they work on a computer? you are potentially sending electrical shocks to you ecu by not using one.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default 4ws error codes

I did mines 6 months ago and the 4ws light never stay on again. I have a 93 prelude si 4ws. what i did was resolder all of the points. You should resolder all of the points since u have your 4ws unit , it will save u time on the long run.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:10 PM

Default Re: 4ws error codes (Fuji_jaii)

the resodering of the relays, is this just for code 62?? it seems a lot of u guys have had success with it, i guess ill just go ahead and check them out since lots of u guys light has gone off.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:37 AM

Default 4ws error codes - What next?? (wstef)

Hey wstef ur comments are really convincing as i have the same problem as ur and i'm planning to solder the points but there is a problem. How the hell do i remove the back seats. I fear of breaking the clips or whtever that is holding the seats together. Hope to get a reply asap. Pic about how to do would help even better. Thanx 4 ur time.

This web site totally rocks. keep it up guys

i have a 1992 prelude Si.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4ws error codes - What next?? (sikluder)

You don't have to remove seats! Reach the ECU from the trunk. Just pull off the garnish and it will be exposed.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:12 AM

Default Re: 4ws error codes - What next?? (pentaq)

If I remember well there were some screws to remove from behind rear seat too.

I was removing the ecu with its frame however. Maybe it is possible to remove only the ecu from trunk side. I am not sure, it was so long ago

And finally it looks my small discovery about broken soldering done in april 2004 has become very useful and popular if everyone who fixed the ecu sends me a beer I would become an alcoholic
Old 07-17-2006, 08:58 AM

Default Re: 4ws error codes - What next?? (pervyperry)

Wierd.. Temperature seems to be the deciding factor on if my 4ws works or not. I started my car up several times this morning (80 degrees) and the 4ws worked every time. Now (95 degrees) I've started my car several times and the light is on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4ws error codes - What next??