Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

4ws error codes - What next??

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 4ws error codes - What next?? (wstef)

howdy, ive made a post about this very problem. https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=930704
but i was getting the code 29 instead of the code 62..... so i resoldered those 10 points and it fixed the system... for 2 days.
so now i did a jumper to see what the code kicked out and it gave me a 29 like before and now a 62 that wasnt there before.
i am so so so confused as to what way i might go about this. the diagnostics i did where all the same and with the same results as before. all the connections had either positive current or 4.5 V so i know its not in the wiring. ive done the battery disconnect/remove the main fuse to reset everything. and that didnt work either.
what would you recommend?
tommorrow im going to remove the 4wscu and resolder those points again and see if it fixes it once again.

EDIT: ive found that the rear main steering angle sensor is the faulty part. and ive also found that honda did a recall for this sensor....... now to call and find out the full scoop on the recall!

Modified by Not_Rice4ws at 4:32 AM 7/23/2004
Old 07-24-2004, 11:59 PM

Default Re: 4ws error codes - What next?? (Not_Rice4ws)

So, I have opened my friend's 4WS unit that is faulty. I checked the solderings and I found 2 big visible cracks. I resoldered all the points and didn't tested it yet, but I think this method will work.

Check out the images:

Here are the 2 cracked points:

First one:

Second:

Note that the cracks are usually not visible, this case is "too much" cracked
Old 07-25-2004, 12:21 AM

Default Re: 4ws error codes - What next?? (petrv)

Not bad, man, really not bad

It MUST work now...
Old 07-25-2004, 11:43 PM

heck ya man let us know!
i did the resoldier on my unit as well. i found it was not the culprit though. ive made a post on what is happening over at honda-acura.net
http://www.honda-acura.net/for...t=4ws
about half way down there i gave a list of what i did to diagnose the problem and find a resolution.
wstef and sephro have shown me the way to do that resolder. but ive found my problem is with the main steering angle sensor. and the best part about it is, i get the part and the labor done for free as the cel code 29 (if the diagnosis comes down to the main sterring angle sensor) is a recalled part and FREE! yeah thats right my favorite word "free"

and woah yeah man that one is really really pulled up from the board. if it doesnt fix it do the jumper cel test and we can assist you more.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:50 PM

Default Re: (Not_Rice4ws)

This unit is my friend's - he had some problems with 4WS, so he bought another 4ws unit and the problem is solved - so I assume his problems were due to the faulty 4ws unit.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:56 PM

Default Re: 4ws error codes - What next?? (five-0)

OMG- this is good stuff. I have been lurking around the site for days now researching and reading all of the 4WS threads. It all seemed grim until now.
I have had 4WS issues for a while now and like some, I felt very afraid to drive with the system not working. My rear wheels DO NOT lock in the straight position. I have caught ruts on the highway and feared for my life. No Joke.

I am throwing a code 71. I will pull apart the 4WS computer this week and post results.

Thank you.

from what the book states on this code:
Temporary Driving Conditions
When the vehicle is operated under extrememly harsh or abnormal conditions, the 4WS control unit interprets it as a problem and memorizes the problem code.

For problem code 71:
The car is driven aggressively with the driver and three passengers on board, or the steering wheel is turned with a rear wheel blocked by the curb, etc.
4WS light ON

Symptom-to-system Chart reads:
affected : 4WS control unit

so not really sure if what you have going on is going to be fixed by soldering those 10 points. from what ive read into this, the causes for the light are: faulty 4wscontrol unit, or extreme driving effecting the computer to through a code (maybe your alignment is real out of wack?)(are you lowered?)
let us know!
if the resolder doesnt fix it shoot me a private message and i can direct you to a cheap used 4ws control unit from a wrecking yard.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:43 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Not_Rice4ws &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
from what the book states on this code:
Temporary Driving Conditions
When the vehicle is operated under extrememly harsh or abnormal conditions, the 4WS control unit interprets it as a problem and memorizes the problem code.

For problem code 71:
The car is driven aggressively with the driver and three passengers on board, or the steering wheel is turned with a rear wheel blocked by the curb, etc.
4WS light ON

Symptom-to-system Chart reads:
affected : 4WS control unit

so not really sure if what you have going on is going to be fixed by soldering those 10 points. from what ive read into this, the causes for the light are: faulty 4wscontrol unit, or extreme driving effecting the computer to through a code (maybe your alignment is real out of wack?)(are you lowered?)
let us know!
if the resolder doesnt fix it shoot me a private message and i can direct you to a cheap used 4ws control unit from a wrecking yard.</TD></TR></TABLE>
QUOTE]

Pheew.... yes I'm dropped on sportlines and I am in need of FR-L inner and outer tie rod ends. I am getting these next week.

As for the re-solder on the ECU, I will try anyhow due to the fact that it seems to be affected by the outside temperature. cold=works ........................ warm(above 60 deg.)= not work That sounds electrical to me. I will definately keep posting as I continue my quest.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:36 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

like most... i got error code 62.as what wstef and sepro procedure i did soldered the 10 points.after 10 minutes of putting it back, i test it.the lights was eliminate....but after 10 minutes of driving the lights was there again...i check the codes again and not like before i got a new error code which is 29...and this is the main steering angle sensor.i try to check the dealership but never determine if its honor for recall for im here in canada.i will get the reply soon.so here i am again making ways to clear out this 4ws lights.i have this for 3 weeks already.also i would like to thank wstef and sepro for this... coz i notice there was a crack on my 10 points too....about 4 of them.i got a pics of it but i can upload it here in this sites...yuore the best guys....keep it up men!!!

pons
Old 07-27-2004, 02:06 PM

pons make sure and call honda of canada or the equavilent to our honda of america. a dealership may not be as able to tell you if your vin number has had the recall fix done.
once you have spoken with honda then you can take the information to a dealership and they will honor it.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:26 PM

yuo know what happened guys? since i do the resolder my error code is changing everytime i start my engine....dunno whats wrong with it? and one more thing, honda canada is not honor for recall to my error 29 instead they will upgrade it, for free...but dont know yet whats wrong with my car....hate to see this 4ws everytime i drive my car.cant sleep to have it....i dont want to let her die...like that...
Old 07-27-2004, 04:35 PM

not_rice4ws, is your problem fixed already? did you resolder that relays too? did you hear a click on it everytime you put your keys on access?mine i didnt hear anything....guess i got to buy a new ECU!!! wish i could bring back the time...nways it happens.but it adds another chapter to my knowledge...very well guys good job.wish you can have more solutions to this 4WS...
Old 07-29-2004, 01:01 PM

Default Re: (ponshock)

according to the book.error code 29 is detected on the rear point which is on the rear. check the following:
1. rear( sub) steering angle sensor
2. rear main steering angle sensor
3. 4ws unit or ECU
4.harness and connector.

the terminal unit number is 20. im quite sure that the problem will solve after replacing those parts.or change the whole main steering angle sensor( rear).im going to replace mine today.hope it works....like many i have error code 62 before but after soldering those 10 points, that 62 was gone and change to 29. so lucky me i still got the copy prelude repair manual....i can share it to all if you need this manual.ok.

Old 07-30-2004, 12:12 AM

your on the right track.
the other issues that can happen with this code is a faulty actuator (which is the actualy gear motor for the rear wheels) if you do the entire diagnosis and your v f s phases do not read per the correct voltage, then yes it is your rear main steering angle sensor. i would definetly check with your local dealership on that upgrade. it may be less money out of your pocket to have them replace the sensor.
thing is its really not hard to do at all.....
but if they will pay for the part 180 USD | 200+ CD and then do the labor on it for say 50-60 candian dollars your going to come out better off then paying the 180+ and doing it yourself. not to mention the fact that you CANNOT contaminate the box under the sensor with any debris at all of the actuator will go bad. and they are something like 2800 new from honda!

as for me, im waiting on the parts to arrive then they will schedule me in for the recall swap. not sure how long it will take for them to do all that though. could be a while as they dont like doing recall fixes. hehe
Old 08-05-2004, 10:37 PM

hello guys...im back on the road after 3 months of having a 4ws lights on my panel.the solution? error 29 or 62? just replace your whole actuator or main steering angle sensor ( thats on the rear portion).thats it! mine is ok now. i just buy a used one for $110 canadian dollars only.and one more thing i got extra ECU in case if my soledred ECU broke...i buy it from a wrecker near from where i leave.just check their sites. they got tons of it. http://www.jkjapaneseengine.com just check this sites...ive been using my car for a week now. so any question just feel free to give me a shout.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:53 PM

yeah pon that is a good fix for the $ if you cant get a dealership to do the recall replacement for your rear main steering angle sensor (code 29). i jsut got mine done today for free! im so happy its fixed and no more problems for a while at least.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:30 AM

Default Re: (ponshock)

"the solution? error 29 or 62? just replace your whole actuator or main steering angle sensor"

Error 62 means of course rear accurator, but can be also caused by famous broken solderings - that was my case - then I have developped the solution.

In my case one 4WS unit was working correctlu, the other one I have bought was showing error 62. As my accurator worked fine with first 4WS unit, I finally found these broken solderings.

By the way, I bought this non-working 4WS unit for $10 ..... then repaired it
Old 08-07-2004, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wstef)

My 92 4WS lude has only 60k miles. I have never had a problem with the light, but its i beginning ot become more of a prolem now. My light doesnt come on while i am driving (touchwood wont happen like that). It just comes on when i start the car. Sometiomes it comes on sometimes it doesnt. It seems like the light is on a lot more these days. (Touchwood) The rear wheels are securely locked in the forward position when the light is on. I have a couple of questions. I know there are multiple ways of reseting the 4ws ecu. What is the method that involves turning the steering all the way one way and then the other way? Also, to pull the code, which plug/connector do i jump? Where is this one located? Thanks. I guess i am part of this 4WS club now to.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:07 PM

Default Re: (vinuneuro)

if you crawl under your steering wheel, and look to the right under the radio bezel, you will see 2 plugs almost tucked in behind the edge of the bezel. the plug you want is blue and is the second one behind the first one you can see(which is grey). there small plugs, so dont be fooled by some of the other plugs under there.
jumper them and turn the key to the on position and count the flashes. short flashes are the first number and the fast flashes are the second.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i also have been having the code 62 problem for a year now........I also found out when i turn the car on, and the light stays on. If i rev up the engine and click the ignition off then on (as to not use the starter) the 4ws then clicks on fine.......just curious if that works for anyone else........that would also lead me to believe that it would possibly be that solder problem
Old 08-10-2004, 02:34 PM

like wstf said before, if you get a code 62.... open up the 4wscu and resolder those 10 points and you should be good to go.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:06 PM

Default Re: (Quiklude)

I would like to thank Quicklude for his advice... and let everyone with ECU issues know that they should try this.

Like usual(warm days) my 4ws was not working. I revved and shut the ignition off, and then right back on all in one motion as recommended by Quicklude. It works!

This will get me by... until I get off me arss and pull the computer. This is a true lifesaver. HONDA-TECH RULES!
Old 08-10-2004, 08:45 PM

Default Re: 4ws error codes - What next?? (pervyperry)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pervyperry &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Now anyone have any pics of the Crank Angle sensor or can someone tell me where she hides..

Lee</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://92lude.com/prelude_manu...l.pdf

This link should help you out. This sensor is hidden inside the distributor.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4ws error codes - What next?? (PhazedSI)

this little trick has saved my butt, cause on the highway those of you who are having the same problem as me know how scary it is on low pro's in ruts at 60mph, this will make it work until i can get it apart and re-solder....

BTW are you guys acutually sucking the original solder out and re-soldering, or are you soldering ontop of it. Just curious, I tho will have mine done the correct way. Except i have to find someone who has a solder sucker.....
Old 08-12-2004, 11:25 PM

you dont need to de-solder them. all i did was heated it up and re pooled the solder that was there and vwalla fixed. you can add a little to it though just to make sure it gets a good coverage.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Not_Rice4ws &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you dont need to de-solder them. all i did was heated it up and re pooled the solder that was there and vwalla fixed. you can add a little to it though just to make sure it gets a good coverage.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I added a generous amount to the connection points.

I tried to skimp when I fied my heater control unit (climate control). I ended up wasting a lot of time. I had to add more.

Do it right the first time. Add more soder. It can't hurt. Pulling the 4WS ECU in and out isn't easy either.

Quick Reply: 4ws error codes - What next??