Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

4th Gen Climate Control Buttons Won't Switch or Lights won't come on.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th Gen Climate Control Buttons Won't Switch or Lights won't come on.

That's just about it. All the buttons to switch from floor vents, defrost, and the rest won't go. It's only coming out of the floor. I still get heat and AC, but only through the floor. The AC buttons will switch on most of the time, and when the car turns on it sometimes does that 4th gen thing where the back lighting for the temp and fan speed twitches on and off. I don't think they're related because there are two harness in the back (green and brown). All I've done is switch every fuse in the box, just because I had some spare money. WTF?

(I'm retarded. That's the best I could explain it.)
Old 12-30-2008, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 4th Gen Climate Control Buttons Won't Switch or Lights won't come on.

its a pretty common problem, i have had 3 4th gens, they all did it.

what happens is the solder joints on the circuit board for the heat controls cracks, thus no connection, nothing works like it should.

the solution is either buy a new one from Honda, or remove the one you have, disassemble it and resolder all the connections
Old 12-30-2008, 01:44 PM

Default Re: 4th Gen Climate Control Buttons Won't Switch or Lights won't come on.

Originally Posted by JDogg
what happens is the solder joints on the circuit board for the heat controls cracks, thus no connection, nothing works like it should.

the solution is either buy a new one from Honda, or remove the one you have, disassemble it and resolder all the connections
Yeah, This is my second 93 VTEC that's done it. So do you know where the solders usually break at or am I going to have to look around? Is it in the climate control or the harness? Thanks for the help.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is a thread on some of the same problems.. don't know what happened to most of the pics but there is some on page 2 that tells you where exactly the problem most likely is. I did this fix last year and it worked.

http://92lude.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3977

Last edited by drbenne; 12-30-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:51 PM

I did the above solder job and everything worked fine afterwords. You may not be able to see the cracks however just try it any way. good luck.

pic of where to solder from above link
Old 12-31-2008, 02:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

most are cracked around the plug..
Old 12-31-2008, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

on mine i could see some were cracked and couldnt see others. because the solder points are so small i just brought mine into a local tv repair shop and they resoldered every point on the board for only 5 bucks and it works like brand new now.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by dcypher6425
I did the above solder job and everything worked fine afterwords. You may not be able to see the cracks however just try it any way. good luck.

pic of where to solder from above link
I've only screwed around with old Nintendos with soldering, so I've got a little bit of exp. Will I need to desolder all the points out and redo them or can I try to lay a little on top to try and fill in the cracks? Will the circuit get screwed up if some of the solders are touching a little? (It sounds like a descent question to me but I think I know the answer)
Old 12-31-2008, 01:49 PM

there are a lot more guys on here that are better at soldering. maybe they will chime in.

I would imagine that if two circuits were touching from excess solder they would short out.

I believe when we re-soldered mine we did remove the old solder. I was watching someone else do the work late at night.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just resoldered every point because I was unsure where to solder.. and now, Everything works great!! Get out the ol' solder gun and get busy!
Old 01-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just melted what little solder was on there and added some of my own. Most of my connections were broken. I also found a few elsewhere on the board that I redid too
Old 01-03-2009, 02:09 PM

sweet, ive had this problem too, im going to give this a try next weekend. Thanks all.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:14 PM

sweet, ive had this problem too, im going to give this a try next weekend. Thanks all.