Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

3rd gen.. need help!! engine wont start after timing belt replaced

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd gen.. need help!! engine wont start after timing belt replaced

hey everyone.. my 89 2.0s has been thru a rough time the past year so to speak.. my timming belt went bout 7months ago.. i replaced the timming belt water pump and timming belt tennsioner.. lined up the 2 hashes on the cam gear with the block and tried to fire it up... no luck.. it made a loud popping noise tho.. so i took off the intake and exhaust manifolds.. cap n rotors etc and pulled the block to go get it checked out.. well the good news was none of the valves were bent and the block was in good condition still.. however 2 intake valves were not sealing properly so i had them ground down and resealed as well as new valve gaskets.... got a gasket kit put on new gaskets on the intake, head, exhuast, waterpump, valve cover, thermo housing, thermostat i e etc... bolted everything back together.. charged the batt. did everything but i left the long air intake off that goes to the airfilter so no big deal.. i went to fire it up with the cam shaft set to the right place and everything on cept for the long air intake ram..well the popping nise went away pretty much but it still makes it at the muffler like a puffing sound... now there is a strong smell of fuel at the engine after trying to fire it up etc.. i watched the engine crank and noticed fuel vapor coming out of the intake... that to me doesnt seem normal.. but then again im more use to fuel injection than carborated especial a doublr barrel carb..i know thats where the fuel smell is coming from tho... what else could not make this thing start...it does crank and turn over but thats it... i put some newer gas in.. cleaned off the cap n rotor... regaped and cleaned the plugs.. wires are newer and are in good shape???? anyone have any other suggestions at all??????