Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

35 shot of nitrous on a 250k motor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 08:39 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35 shot of nitrous on a 250k motor?

I have a 5th gen(99') prelude and I really want to do a low shot of nitrous. Does a 35 shot have any real danger to my motor if I rarely use it? I'm getting a compression test done soon, so that will give me more information, but if the test comes back good then am I good to go?
Old 03-31-2017, 08:07 PM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Re: 35 shot of nitrous on a 250k motor?

If the motor is healthy then go for it. 35 shot really isn't much at all. I doubt you're going to see much additional wear with such a small shot. Just make sure it's installed correctly and setup properly with appropriate fueling, ignition timing adjustments(if required, doubtful with a small shot), one step colder plugs, etc.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:10 AM
Trial User

Sadly the motor isn't healthy. Just got the compression test back, there is a difference of 40 in the 1st cylinder from the rest of the engine. :/. I need a new head and it has a bad valve or two. The repairs aren't worth the cost. I'm putting in a new H22a4 with a Euro R intake for 1.5k and $400 for the mechanic to put it in. While the motor is dropped I'm going to put in a better clutch. The new motor will have around 30,000 miles on it, so I can do a better shot on that one.

So with a 30,000 mile h22 I can do a 75 wet shot right?(according to what I've been reading)
Old 04-02-2017, 04:46 PM
Premium Member

Yeah. You should be fine. Any higher will be pushing it. Nitrous is hard on connecting rods. Like I said before, just make sure the setup is proper and the extra fueling, ignition timing adjustments, etc are done correctly/professionally.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:49 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Should be ok. The ringlands are the touchy spot I have seen when running nitrous, so don't use it a ton, i.e. high speed runs haha. I would also suggest maybe start with a 50 shot, and then go to the 75 or so if it works well.

I went straight to a 100 shot on my high comp H23, and broke ringlands due to my rings overheating and touching ends, while doing hot laps at the track without cooldown time. This was on an engine built with pretty tight tolerances though, since I didn't know enough about nitrous when assembling the block.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:35 PM
Premium Member

Yep. Ringlands are a bit of a worry too. They don't like being run hard for long. 100 shot would definitely be pushing it on an all stock block. It might live for awhile but nitrous is so violent the wear and stress will add up quick on the rods, pistons, rings, bearings, etc etc. Boost is a lot easier on components.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nitrous beats up pistons because of the heat it melts stuff. Tossing in a 75hp shot of nitrous isn't going to be harder on a motor than 75hp worth of a turbo. Hell, the turbo is wayyyyyy harder on connecting rods because of the TQ, that's what just about always goes first unless you're detonating and crack a piston. Nitrous can't be used for long periods of time, as the heat will melt the plugs (if you're lucky) before it melts a piston. A 35shot is harmless, but you *should* run the car on a dyno using larger fuel jets and checking the plugs after each run. If everything looks good, you can go to a smaller fuel jet until the AFR is lean enough to be safe and make power.

But after all, it would still be quite a slow car, so what's the point? Even with a 75shot, you're looking at what? Maybe a mid 14sec car? Why beat up the motor for no reason. Take it to a twisty track day, enjoy the car with the power it has.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:20 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Tight-R
Nitrous beats up pistons because of the heat it melts stuff.

Only if the additional fueling isn't correctly implemented.

Tossing in a 75hp shot of nitrous isn't going to be harder on a motor than 75hp worth of a turbo. Hell, the turbo is wayyyyyy harder on connecting rods because of the TQ, that's what just about always goes first unless you're detonating and crack a piston.

This statement is false. Do some research before posting misleading information. Nitrous is volatile and violent which means it's harder on connecting rods because of the instantaneous power. This causes an increased initial shock-load on the rod when it's activated. In stock bottom end engines with factory connecting rods that type of load happening so quickly will bend a rod much more easily than in a boosted application. Turbocharged applications need time to spool so that means the power isn't as instantaneous. This means the power is brought on in a much more linear and steady fashion so the shock-load on the connecting rods, bearings, pistons, and hell...everything is much less. Turbo setups will always be able to make more on stock blocks versus a similar nitrous setup with the same power goals in mind. Look at all of the 400whp+ stock block H/F turbo setups out there that have been healthy and running for years. Now show me one 400whp+ stock block nitrous setup that has lasted more than few hits.

You don't necessarily have to be detonating to crack a piston either. Get enough heat in a stock H series and the rings will heat up to the point of touching each other. At that point you're going to break a ring or a ringland.

Nitrous can't be used for long periods of time, as the heat will melt the plugs (if you're lucky) before it melts a piston.

Also false. See above. If the setup is implemented correctly and the fueling is taken care of, it wouldn't be an issue to continuously use nitrous. The nitrous itself has a massive cooling effect which is why it's frequently used in supercharged setups to keep the intake temperatures down. It's the lack of additional fueling that will "melt things" just like in any other forced induction application.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:39 PM
I serve phở for my babies

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tight-R
Nitrous beats up pistons because of the heat it melts stuff. Tossing in a 75hp shot of nitrous isn't going to be harder on a motor than 75hp worth of a turbo. Hell, the turbo is wayyyyyy harder on connecting rods because of the TQ, that's what just about always goes first unless you're detonating and crack a piston. Nitrous can't be used for long periods of time, as the heat will melt the plugs (if you're lucky) before it melts a piston. A 35shot is harmless, but you *should* run the car on a dyno using larger fuel jets and checking the plugs after each run. If everything looks good, you can go to a smaller fuel jet until the AFR is lean enough to be safe and make power.

But after all, it would still be quite a slow car, so what's the point? Even with a 75shot, you're looking at what? Maybe a mid 14sec car? Why beat up the motor for no reason. Take it to a twisty track day, enjoy the car with the power it has.
what in the actual **** kind of response is this
Old 04-07-2017, 08:44 PM
Premium Member

I believe he just strung together some random words he knows.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Since your putting in a new block you can build the old one its not as much as you think don't throw it away!! lol