Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

20w-50 in m2b4 trans???

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20w-50 in m2b4 trans???

Sup Honda-tech,

I come searching for answers again. A friend i just recently made helped me to rebuild my trans with new synchros from synchro tech (carbon coated) and he also helped me install it today. However when it came time for the oil, he said grab 20w-50, I said wait a minute the honda manual for my car says 10w-30. He replied with, it is too thin and with the heat from friction the viscosity changes to similar properties of a water-like substance and does not provide proper protection to the gears,diff, or my new beloved synchros.

He is somewhat well known and builds race hatches for a living. He uses legit gear oil like 75w-90. he was doing the job for a reasonable price so i did not want to be a dick and question his "methods" i bought the 20w-50 and threw it in. My question is does the higher viscosity oil actually allow for better protection? or is it to thick to get around my trans?

Shifting is alittle tight but I have been having shifter cable problems, i feel that my cables are binding somewhere in the sleeve of which they pass through.

any advice is appreciated. thanks fellow luders!
Old 04-02-2013, 03:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 20w-50 in m2b4 trans???

It's not really doing anything for you. Over the long run it'll actually probably wear on your transmission a little harder since the extra viscosity puts some extra loading on your transmission and causes it to run a little hotter.

If you didn't do anything special to the transmission or you're not cranking out crazy power, Honda definitely knows better than your friend. I'd put the 10w-30 back in.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:09 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I would ask the guys at Syncrotech, and use what they say with their product.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by No18
It's not really doing anything for you. Over the long run it'll actually probably wear on your transmission a little harder since the extra viscosity puts some extra loading on your transmission and causes it to run a little hotter.

If you didn't do anything special to the transmission or you're not cranking out crazy power, Honda definitely knows better than your friend. I'd put the 10w-30 back in.
Originally Posted by snobordboy
I would ask the guys at Syncrotech, and use what they say with their product.

thanks for the response guys I really appreciate it. I will go back to 10w-30 and also ask the guys at synchrotech just for my knowledge. and btw got another question.

any idea of where to find shift cables? i was looking on ebay and found a couple good hits but i have to admit I am alittle skeptical on buying new ones from some random person on ebay.

Right now the issue is that I have play in the cables and on 2 different transmissions shifting is sloppy and not precise i catch a couple grinds here and there and its incredibly hard to put into gear.

just changed the slave cylinder and my whole clutch set up is less then 3 months old. from the looks if it no springs have popped out of the clutch disk either. the clutch is grabbing great and might I add that I also have the new and improved jtc customs short shifter.

I cant think of why I would keep having this rough and sloppy shifting issue. master cylinder possibly?
Old 04-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this may or may not relate, i did a front diff on a vehicle once and didnt have the proper oil recommened so i dont remember what viscoaity but i threw in a think one i had laying around.. three montha later when he actually used his 4x4 he came back to me saying he hear weird noises and such, and it was super hot to the touch of a hand. luckily hes a buddy of mine and we juss switched out to the oem recommened stuff.. not sure if there was any damage but it is running fine now...

oem fluids for oem parts. jmo
Old 04-02-2013, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by POPLERO
this may or may not relate, i did a front diff on a vehicle once and didnt have the proper oil recommened so i dont remember what viscoaity but i threw in a think one i had laying around.. three montha later when he actually used his 4x4 he came back to me saying he hear weird noises and such, and it was super hot to the touch of a hand. luckily hes a buddy of mine and we juss switched out to the oem recommened stuff.. not sure if there was any damage but it is running fine now...

oem fluids for oem parts. jmo

all relative man thanks for the input.

Because i just bought new synchros, Im going to swap out the tranny fluid to what is recommended.