Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

2000 Prelude double din + speaker options

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Prelude double din + speaker options

Hi folks, I just bought an absolutely perfect 2000 Prelude base and want to add a couple of things. First is a double din radio. It can be touch screen or not. Must have Bluetooth, CD player not needed. Second, I'm looking for the speaker sizes and some recommendations. I want clean audio that's true to my music, but I'm not really sure how much too spend. Quality > Volume. I have tried searching around online but I cant make heads or tails of what I need, can do and cant do. I am on a budget but I will spend the money if it will make a big difference.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: 2000 Prelude double din + speaker options

Not sure about a double din, but I'd go with JBL speakers. Sizes and instructions can be found on installdr.com
Old 11-04-2017, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Re: 2000 Prelude double din + speaker options

Originally Posted by Northernlightz
Not sure about a double din, but I'd go with JBL speakers. Sizes and instructions can be found on installdr.com
Good reccomendation, JBL makes a very quality speaker and you definitely wanna have all the install info you can.

Theres more to consider when choosing audio components than you might think. When I read what you have asked, theres a way to appreciate what makes good audio and the truth is it comes down to the listener.

In my opinion you want what will be most cost effective while still delivering sound you can work with.
The best approach is to decide what type of system you want, it sounds like you want to upgrade and replace your 4 speakers and your head unit.
The only other thing to consider is if you want to add a 4-channel amplifier or not. What makes crisp, powerful and clean sound is determined by the amount of power driving your speakers. Nowadays almost every aftermarket head unit is going to deliver around 45-55watts peak power from an internal amplifier and will have some pretty sophisticated internal signal processing that will give you adequate listening pleasure and quality at low to medium volume levels.
Peak power is different from RMS power (what can be delivered vs. what is being delivered) this depends on the volume and input signal as well as the impeadence or resistance of your speakers but on average your speakers will be seeing about 15-20watts RMS.

Things to consider:
  • Head unit brand and features along with cost (Once you've chosen a head unit, note the rated power delivery and at what resistance it is delivered. This rating is given in watts @ a specific ohm rating. This ohm rating is the minimum the amplifier can work at and is also where it's peak power is delivered. So if it says 50watts x 4 @ 4ohms, your going to want speakers with a 4ohm resistance to match and with a RMS power handling of with 80-100% of the head units peak rating.
  • Speaker brand, cost, and power handling. Higher the RMS power handling the better and you want to ensure you choose a speaker with a resistance that is as close to and no lower than your head unit's ratings. Also, size (don't forget to take things like overall mounting depth into consideration, too deep and your magnets could interfere with your windows/doors)
  • 4-channel amp: an external amplifier will deliver more quality sound and better quality per volume than a integrated amplifier of a head unit even if it has the same power ratings as your head unit. They also offer tunable crossovers and bass boosts. You need power, ground, turn on lead and rca signal patch cables to run one. Only go the external 4-channel route is your really want to and FEEL like your going to have what it takes to install one, including the $
  • Sound deadening: Covering the sheet metal of your doors beneath your door panels with a tar based sound deadening material is going to give you piece of mind
Also this, 5th gen Preludes come factory with an "acoustic feedback system" that uses microphones incorporated into the rear speakers along with signal processing built into the factory head unit that are designed to change the way the music sounds based on the acoustic environment of the cabin. Reason I mention this is because to run any other speaker in the rear deck other than factory, you must rewire a few connections and bypass the electronics associated with the system, otherwise you will get little to no sound from your aftermarket speakers. It involves some cutting, stripping and soldering but isn't too difficult, takes 30 min or so, hardest part is climbing in the trunk lol. Here are some links to removing the system:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBYrR88g2QQ

Rear Speakers are 6"x9"
Front Door Speakers are 6 1/2" you can also run a 6 3/4" with some slight modification.

Last edited by Accordian47; 11-04-2017 at 06:24 PM.