Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

1999 Prelude Base no start

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Prelude Base no start

Hey guys really need help here. So here is my issue.

I purchased a 1999 prelude base model h22a4. The car wasn't running. The owner had replace the cap and rotor on the distributor. The fuel filter. And did a compression check. Said cylinder 2 was low. But it this wouldn't keep the motor from running at all. Maybe running really rough. It had an aftermarket alarm which I removed. It had a stupid piggy back fuel management system which I removed and cleaned up the wire harness. What I have done as far as test.

• Confirmed I have spark by pulling the plug out and grounding it to the frame to watch for spark - good.
• Confirmed my fuel pump is working. It primes my fuel rail. You can hear it and I cracked open the fuel line to the rail and watched it dump gas out.
• Checked to see if my fuel injectors are spraying - no good. I have the 12v consistent power to the yellow/black wire but no grounding from the ECU.
• I doubled checked my wire harness and checked every ground to the ECU using my ohm meter. All grounds tested fine.

I purchased the Chilton manual which I do for any car I own. Once I realized it wasn't firing the injectors I pulled the injectors and fuel rail out. I ohmed out the injectors which all ohmed 12.1 which is good. I also applied 12v from the battery to the individual injectors and made sure they all worked, which they did. So my injectors aren't the problem.
So I looked at the wire diagrams for the injector pulse signal. Saw the ecu grounds through the PGM-FI relay. So I pulled it out and tested it based on the Chilton manual. It tested bad. So I bought a new one and tried it out. Still not working. I even replaced the ECU and it wasn't working. Not sure what I can do now as for as testing to get my injectors to fire. I have checked every ground on the car. I have checked every fuse even if it's not related to the ignition or fuel system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1999 Prelude Base no start

After some more research I have found that the 97-98 prelude ECU is slightly different than the 99. My 99 used a P5M-L04 ECU and I picked up a working P5M-L03 ECU. Which would probably explain why I still can't get my injectors to fire. If any one can confirm this that would be awesome. I'm going to look for a new ECU.