Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

1997 Base EGP Flip project

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1997 Base EGP Flip project

FYI. Car runs perfect now. I still didn't establish if it was the Ignitor or the sensor. Ill get back to that.
I spent some time reading about my P0135 error. Seems to be common. I see a lot of posts that say the issue comes from Auto to manual swaps. very strange.

My problem is not when the car is idling, it randomly pops up when I'm driving.

At the sensor we have a 4 pin connector
1.Blue Signal
2.White Ground
3.Black heater ground
4.Black heater Power

That Sensor connects to connector C118
1. GRN/BLK goes to Junction connection C117 then to ECM D11
2. WHT Primary O2 Sensor goes to connector C282 then ECU D7
3. BLK/WHT Heater Ground goes to connector C282 then ECU A6
4. BLK/YEL Heater Power C117 then Fuse?

C282 has a Manual Version with 8 pins and an automatic version with 14 pins. I'm not sure why that would matter tho since the O2 operation is the same for both. I could de-pin the auto stuff or swap it out with the 8 pin connector, I'm sure I have a set laying around.

According to the Manual, this is an intermittent failure since it does not appear when the car is first started. Recommends checking the connector C282 and the ECM connectors. I guess I can fire up the car and shake the crap out of those connectors and see what I come up with, also I should check that C117, I know I beat that one up a bit when I was installing my shifter cables. Seems like the other issue ends up being an ECU problem.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you plan to repair distributor?
Old 02-10-2018, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

odd, my last post did not save. hate when that happens.

I plan to put the new distributor back in and swap out the ignitor for the old one. I assume the problem is the ignitor. Car is running perfect so I have not touched it, I bet there is some oil building up in the dist.

I ordered some gas shocks and 2 sets of brackets so I can do the upgrade to the trunk. The bars in the back have been hitting my speakers I want to fix that before I replace them again. The cheap boss speakers I threw in to replace the blown speakers that were in the car when I got it are blown now. Well one is, I already replaced the front with some kickers. Hopefully this trunk mod goes smoothly. The shocks were 20 and each set of brackets were like $6. Not super expensive. I got 2 60lb 10 inch shocks that compressed are 6.75. The write ups online are a little inconsistent on what exactly to use so I will start with this and if need be ill replace one of the shocks with a higher lb one later on.

Ill pick up another set of kicker speakers for the rear most likely in the next month. I cant stand driving around with a blown speaker.

I ordered some 2k clear coat to use on the hood, the color coat is good but just needs to be re-cleared. If the 2k clear works well then ill use that moving forward. I still need to touch up the fenders and re-clear. Ill have to order some more base coat but again not in a huge rush.

I also picked up some white plastidip and glossifier. I just wanted to play with it and see how it works. I am seriously considering picking up some vinyl as well, maybe some carbon fiber stuff and try to wrap the hood, again I just want to play with it a bit, been watching too many youtube videos and wanted to see what I want to play with.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got the shocks and brackets, I'm not sure why amazon suggested these would go together but its not the direct fit I was expecting. The struts have an eyelet and the mounts are ball joints. So they fit over fine but they have no way of attaching. I should have ordered struts with a Ball socket end. Not the end of the world. I may not want to use the brackets anyway. Ill post some pics when I get them installed.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not much to post about this car, I have been daily driving it and not having any issues. I am still throwing some O2 sensor heater codes and have not taken the time to clear that up but the car runs great. I picked up a weighted Skunk 2 shift ****, looks cool feels cool(until summer) but honestly I cant feel any difference in shifting. Been working on my other car projects and this one runs really well.

I gave the hood a good wet sand and sprayed some base coat on spots that were issues. Ill spray that 2k clear on in the next few weeks and see how it looks. I did the fender spots as well where the brake fluid ate the clear. Should turn out decent.

I have a bit of a surging idle still when its cold, I have a new thermal throttle body gasket waiting since the original one had a tear in it

I still plan to replace the E-Brake handle but just didn't get around to it yet.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I finally got around to working on the E-Brake. Looks like I was missing a little plastic piece that is located in the end of the handle. I swapped the one from the spare e-brake I had and changed the button but I still am not happy with the look. I needed a new button. I ordered a "Drift" button which is basically just a normal button and you remove the spring. Pretty lame. I was struggling to find any aftermarket ones that were listed as fitting a Honda. I ended up just ordering one for a Subaru. It was like 9$ or something. I think it may work, we will see. The size is within 1 mm of the original, I'm not sure about the threads, I tried to put it on the old threads and it does spin on a little, I may just need to force it on, the buttons always fit super tight anyway. I may need to mod the boot a bit so it clears things, we will see I guess. Ill take pics once installed.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I fixed the Distributor as well. The new distributor.. the one that failed after like 500 miles. I decided to pull it apart and just put in the OEM Ignitor. The Rotor screw stripped almost immediately. The screw was soft. I went and got an extractor set and every time I drilled it and tried to extract it the tool would just rip away more metal from the screw. So I ended up drilling all the way down and just removing the rotor. At this point the new distributor was full of metal, I said f-it and gutted the thing and just swapped in the internals from the OEM Distributor. I didn't realize this until I was already half way through but all I really needed to do the oem one was replace the little seal inside the distributor. I remember my old prelude motor had an actual bearing on the distributor, these new ones just seem to have a bushing.
In the end... I have the old distributor guts inside the new case with a new seal. Should be good to go another 100k.

I still have a surging idle when cold. I have bled the system multiple times, all of the lines have been replaced. I installed the new TB gasket. IACV gasket is new and well sealed. No vacuum leaks. Base Idle is prefect. Warm idle is perfect. I did see some surging when the IACV was unplugged when checking base idle. I also sprayed starting fluid everywhere around the intake manifold and all vacuum lines with no increase/decrease in idle. I think it may be the cold idle/fast idle valve. I may just eliminate it and block it off.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wanted to order a FITV bypass/blockoff plate but looks like the seller for both Amazon/Ebay are on vacation.
I may just steal the one that's on the Accord. Well if I get around to it.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Idle has been perfect for at least a week now, maybe there was just air in the system.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is the E-brake project. I had to change the threads on the rod for the Button, honestly it would have been easier to just find something with the correct threads and bend it to the correct shape.
Im struggling to upload my pics.

I ended up damaging the button a bit struggling with it, i may replace it down the road but after the paint it looks pretty decent. If i had to do it again it would be pretty easy.

Sorry my notes got wiped out on the pics so im trying to add them here. This is a Amazon Subaru "Drift" button. I just wanted a replacement button to replace the crappy plastic one. The spring is still installed so it works like stock. There is no "Drift" in this button. lol.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is the parking break after I had cleaned it up, believe it or not it was worse before. The little plastic insert was missing initially so it looked horrible. Yea the car needs to be Vacuumed.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I'm a super lucky guy lately....
I went outside to make a starbucks run this morning and I found a huge dent in my hood from a brick that fell from the 3rd story roof. It hit soo hard that my shock tower also has a dent in it. The hood was completely pierced in one spot. Hopefully insurance can sort this out and ill get a carbon hood. I'm sick of dealing with paint. lol. There must be $150 in paint on that darn hood. I was still working on wet sanding the new 2k clearcoat so it was not smooth yet. Its hard to tell in the pics but the whole drive side of the hood is warped.
I'm going to be angry if they try to stick me with some aftermarket ebay hood, I made sure that this car stuck with OEM body parts.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I installed the FITV blockoff last week. It was a big help, idle is perfect now. The car feels really good, it honestly feels stronger now, I cant explain that one. lol

I ended up replacing both hoses to the IACV in the process, I didn't change the thermostat housing when I put in the H23 so the line was at an extreme angle due to the external coil. I had ordered a good amount of Vibrant hose so I had it available already. I would have been nice to polish up the throttle body, it looks worse in the pics.

My gaskets were not flat so I was able to reuse them with no concerns. Not sure how that happened, they must have had been replaced.

You will never see the bottom of this but I went ahead and added the sticker from the bag for +2 HP.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I went to get an insurance Quote yesterday for the hood. The guy doing the quote was worried that the quote would be too high and they would want to total the car. Hopefully I get a decent insurance check and can order a Carbon hood, I was thinking Carbon Creations or Seibon. The price is pretty close between the 2.

Every time I drive the hood stresses me out, I get a lot of looks and comments with this car, I rarely make it through a drive through without a positive comment. So it pains me to see the hood dented, if it goes on much longer insurance will need to pay me for mental anguish. haha

If I get the hood I'm thinking ill wrap the roof with carbon, ill have to think about the trunk. The roof paint still needs some work but my trunk is very nice.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey there’s a Prelude, same year and model as yours at my local salvage yard if you need anything!
Old 05-15-2018, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I can find parts easy, its finding undamaged parts painted in EGP that's the issue. lol

Good news.. I'm getting a check from the insurance company for $1600. That's cool since there is no deductible.
I'm pretty happy about that.

I'm pretty conflicted at the moment... I could sell the car as is and discount it like 500-1000 and still make a pretty good profit at this point.
Drop the price down to like 3000 lowest of 2500. Maybe ill post it and see if I get any offers.

I really like the car, it runs perfect, sounds perfect.
My plan was to get a carbon hood and wrap the roof in carbon and fix the windshield. I think ill end up buying the hood and keeping the car but... the thought is there now.
I could always pick up a hood at the pick your part(again) and start over with the painting. Its going to end up costing me a good $200-$300 with the hood and paint supplies.

Very conflicted.... lol. I soo want a Carbon hood. But either way... its good news.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Go for the carbon, go for the fun!
Btw, you did nice job with that FITV CNC metal.

Anyhow, good luck in future!
Old 05-23-2018, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hood ordered...$653.68
Carbon Creations

I need to look for some hood pins now.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I ordered hood pins and the carbon fiber wrap for the roof.
I went and got the new Windshield installed today, one more thing off my list.

In prep for the hood and wrap I started to clean up the last coats of clear coat I sprayed. Wet sanded with 2000 then buffed and waxed. I can still see the difference between the original clear and the new... Guess I learned a lesson, always spray the whole panel.

I may pull out the buffer and really go at the clear and see if I can blend it better. I need to repair a dent in the door eventually so maybe ill just wait until then and clear the whole side of the car.

Thinking about it... if the roof goes well maybe ill wrap the whole car. lol.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

been following this thread since last week and wow your lude is coming out really nice!
Old 05-30-2018, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hood is backordered 3-4 weeks. I'm sad. I don't understand how you can sell Products on Ebay that you don't actually have....
If I knew they didn't have it then I would have ordered elsewhere... There was a slightly better deal on Amazon but I ordered from who I did because they were local. They offered to change to another product, so I pinged them on that thinking I would get a Sibon or VIS instead but they are sold out on those as well.

I actually found a good hood at pick your part that was originally EGP but painted black. The underside was EGP and I bet I could have stripped it back to the EGP and gave it a light base coat and clear. Ohh well... too late now.

Thanks Techno. Ill take some new pics once its cleaned up with the hood installed.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hahah, man, you really have some kind of thought luck.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well... I may be trading for a 2001 IS300 tomorrow. Trying to cancel the hood.