Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

*Rosko's H23vtec build* N/A 12.0:1, Sk2 Pro2, Euro R, RDX Injectors, Alaniz ported, Camp1320 header

Old 12-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: *Rosko's H23vtec build* N/A 12.0:1, Sk2 Pro2, Euro R, RDX Injectors, Alaniz porte

Originally Posted by IAluder95
you plan to send the block to harveys again? i recommend porters in newton.
I'm going to be boring the block myself, but Jeff @ Harvey's will be honing it for me. I'm planning on making a deck/boring plate and possibly running oil through the block and plate during honing to keep the heat/expansion factor low.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: *Rosko's H23vtec build* N/A 12.0:1, Sk2 Pro2, Euro R, RDX Injectors, Alaniz porte

So when are you going to; Learn to Turn with this beast of a setup?!
Old 12-04-2009, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rosko
Plans for next year are to run a 99mm stroke and to tear down this block and remachine the cylinders to 89mm. If you've been keeping track this whole thread there were some problems with the size of cylinder #4 from the start. Later on after that I found out that the deck of the block was also crooked to the crankshaft. That could also mean that the cylinders are not perpendicular to the crank if they were done at the same time the block was decked off. In any case all of those issues will be fixed over winter and I'll have a fresh setup to run next season!
Which crank are you going to run? Brian Crower?
Old 12-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mike95lude
Which crank are you going to run? Brian Crower?
I hope not.......
Praying he's going to offset grind an F23 crank!?!?
Old 12-06-2009, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It would be more "Rosko" to machine a k24 crank to fit!
Old 12-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 95greenlude
It would be more "Rosko" to machine a k24 crank to fit!
Yup, you guessed it.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know. If you went to a K20A3 ø45mm crank pin you could max out the K24 crank to a ~102mm stroke. Might be a short rod but with quality rods and custom pistons you should be able to wrap it up pretty high regardless.

-edited for misinformation.

Last edited by PirateMcFred; 10-11-2011 at 03:59 AM.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PirateMcFred
You know. If you went to a K20A3 ø45mm crank pin you could max out the K24 crank to a ~105mm stroke. Might be a short rod but with quality rods and custom pistons you should be able to wrap it up pretty high regardless.
I'm deffinately considering that for the future. For now I'm going to continue on the path I was on and just do a K24 crank with a modded H23 rod and a custom piston. Racing season will be here before I know it (end of April, but I'm trying to be positive here ) and I want the car to be ready to rock. This will basically be the only thing that will change so I'm excited to see how everything reacts.

I've been talking with a rep at CP Pistons all week and I should have something going on the piston very soon. I'll be pulling the head off the car tomorrow to get some final measurements on the combustion chamber so we can finish the design of the piston. I'm getting excited!
Old 01-29-2010, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

any bump on the compression for the future?
Old 01-29-2010, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looking good Rosko.
You should be the first to make the K24 crankshaft/rod/piston combo available for consumers. I know i'll be first on the list.

But i'l definitely be hitting you up next month for the Euro Manifold setup
Old 01-31-2010, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by alterdcreations
any bump on the compression for the future?
Possibly, I told CP the target was 14:1-14:5, it all depends on the design but I think it should be pretty attainable to get 14.5:1 I think I figured it would take a 10cc dome on the piston to get that high.

I sent CP an actual soild model of my cylinder head that shows exactly where my valves are and everything so that they can fit the piston to the chamber without any interference.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Any updates on the 89x99 build? You often post good stuff here, and we appreciate it an look forward to seeing more!
Old 06-23-2011, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wtf? i wasted one day n a half at work reading this ****!

it was worth it

enjoyed the thread and admire u and many other h22a racers n builders over the years when i step out of the game and now u guys make me wanna build another h22a, i last built my fully boosted jdm h22a by myself back in 1999.
rosko,NAH2B,pirate and nirvtec guys are good to go
Old 09-28-2011, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by flyrod
Any updates on the 89x99 build? You often post good stuff here, and we appreciate it an look forward to seeing more!
Shortblock will be going together in the next week... FINALLY! hopefully cylinder head in the week after that and trans in the week after that. Hopefully up and running in 4-5 weeks but its a long shot! If the weather holds out I might make it to the track for one of the "weather permitting" November dates that are on the schedule but like I said its a long shot for sure. Still going to be an 89x99 setup with the K24 crank, 14+:1 compression, custom cams, custom other stuff I should of had this going by now but too many things just didnt work out, finally now at the end of the season they are starting to fall together.

In other news, last fall I picked up a 5th gen that was all torn apart. It was an SH, the motor was blown and they tried to install an H23a bluetop, but figured out that didnt work with the SH trans. I bought it all, brought it home and put in another H23a that I had as a backup for the 4th gen and sold off the H23a that came with it and the rest of the stuff I didnt need. This one was an H23a, type-s pistons, pro1 cams, Euro-R manifold, Vibrant header and 2.5" exhaust. I'm planning on sleeving it over the winter, the sleeves were a bit worn out and its burning a bit too much oil for my liking, but its still a blast to drive.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BIENDIESEL
wtf? i wasted one day n a half at work reading this ****!
Thanks man I appareciate that! I've wasted the last 10 years of my life building this ****! LOL, I'm not brave enough to say its been worth it, but I've sure learned alot along the way and I wouldnt give that back for anything.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sure you dont want to buy mine?
Old 10-04-2011, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by IAluder95
sure you dont want to buy mine?
Nah, two Preludes are enough for now. How come you are selling? At least take it to the track with some slicks and lay down some good numbers first
Old 10-04-2011, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Great! What rods did you end up using? Custom or otherwise? Pics and video are nice.

-P
Custom GRP (aluminum). I had planned on modifying the H23 rods I had, but I didnt like narrowing up the big end because the bearing tang notches would have broke out into the open. I could have added the notches to the other side of the rod but then there would be notches on both sides and I just didnt like that either. Since I had the pistons already, and they were designed around a modified H23 rod I ended up with a shorter rod then I would have wanted in the long run. Had I known the h23 rods werent going to work out I would have designed the piston differently and went with a longer rod, thats really the only regret I have about this setup but whats done is done. On the plus side if I ever go to a larger stroke crank then maybe I can keep these rods and just have a new shorter piston made... that is if these rods hold up. Aluminum rods are pretty common in the V8 world but they seem to be hated on in Hondas by some people. We'll see what happens!
Old 10-04-2011, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, since your Prelude's not really street-driven anymore I don't think there's anything wrong with using Al rods. For a little drag racing they're much cheaper than some heavy forged/billet steel rods and cost about a tenth or less than titanium rods. Makes sense to me.

May I ask the rod length? The setup I'm looking at assembling might be able to fit 143mm rods on a bigger stroke. Yeah, still a poor rod ratio but I like having 350cc more than stock and I'm not greedy on revs anyway unless there's a reason to go there.

Also did you have to design the piston skirt around the crank counterweights? If that's top secret that's fine, I'm just anticipating issues before I sink a (bigger) wad of cash into the build. :D

-P
141.5, I kept the H23 length even though these will stretch more than a steel rod would. I will setup the extra clearance needed with a thicker gasket and combustion chamber work if needed and take any additional compression I can safely get out of it.

The comp height of the piston is shoter than a standard h series piston so by nature its a little shorter overall anyways so nothing special there done to the skirt. If I could do that part over I would get the shortest comp height I could, wrist pin buttons and all and run a longer rod. Better r/s ratio and more weight in the rod instead of the piston. That was just poor planning on my part, but I think I will do just fine with what I ended up with.

Can I ask what you are putting together?
Old 10-04-2011, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It is a long ways off but something along the lines of 104-105mm offset ground K24 crank, custom rods & *short* pistons, 3-stage dry sump (to get around the H22 oil pump issue), QSD K2H IM adapter, SMSP header and bigger cams if there's anything left in the budget. I've been shopping for an 55mm-mained H22A4 block without much luck, it'd be real nice if it was already sleeved too. Now that I think of it I should probably look in the FI forums... I'm not too bright and want to do this to my daily driver so I'd only go to ~12:1CR.

I'm currently working on installing the drysump first to work out the kinks. So far it's been enlightening if not expensive. :woot: I keep thinking I could do it to the K-powered track day toy but I use my Prelude every day and would enjoy the additional power/torque all the time instead of once a month.

-P
I saw some of your work with that dry sump setup in a thread I came across the other day. Very interesting!

Have you found someone to offset grind a crank like that? I'd be interested in having that done as well. I've heard some of the honda cranks were very porous under the surface and grinding them exposes all those little pits, but I think that was mainly on H23 cranks, K may be a better platform for that.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is Rick Solis still around for business? Iirc, he's the one that started the offset grind thing with F/H.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vinuneuro
Is Rick Solis still around for business? Iirc, he's the one that started the offset grind thing with F/H.
Ya know I got a message from him 2-3 years back, whenever I started dinking around with this k24 crank deal, he was working with some people to produce some H series stuff but thats the last I heard from him. Sounded very promising but I guess it didnt pan out. I wonder if I still have that pm haha
Old 10-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow i been reading this thread for about 2 hours and still on page 21!! nice work ill finish the rest later lol!!
Old 10-04-2011, 03:16 PM

i forgot where but I heard something about qsd was doing some work with k24 cranks for the H cant remember where thou
Old 10-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not selling, i plan to turn up the boost and rebuild a little. after i get back from iraq.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: *Rosko's H23vtec build* N/A 12.0:1, Sk2 Pro2, Euro R, RDX Injectors, Alaniz ported, Camp1320 header